Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 263 ]  [ Total: 268 ]  [ Newest Member: phottenstein@cox.net ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Climax A Build

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Larryc Posted - 11/20/2020 : 1:51:50 PM
Now that the Family Farm is nearing completion I thought that I would start another project to do along with the farm. This one however is going to be totally different and not nearly as large; well at least not yet.

Back in 1997 I bought an issue of Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette which had a story about a Climax A engine that was built and ran on a private railway. The article intrigued me and I soon sat and did a pencil drawing of what mine might look like. At that point in time I was busy working and also had more family obligations so the idea of such a build was put on the back burner; which turned out to be years. Also my modeling skills were not up to the task.

So now we fast forward to 2020, after doing the farm as well as other builds, I think that my skills are good enough to give this a go.

The build will be my version of a Climax A as a very early model. The reason that I say my version is because I'm building with what parts I can find. Will it be historically accurate...probably not; but it will be my interpretation. Here is my inspiration:

My build will be similar to this with the water tank in the front and a steam engine in the cab and gear driven. The vertical boiler will be towards the back with a stack of wood to feed the boiler. For now this will be a static model, hopefully that will change latter on.

The floor plan's size may change narrow wise when I put the steam engine together and see how much room that it takes up with the boiler. The top drawing was the one that I did back in 1998 which was tucked away in the magazine. Speaking of parts I have what I need to start the build:

The nice thing about these parts they are made in the U.S.A; strange but true. They are clean with little or no flashing made from white metal. I've assembled a couple of small kits before made of white metal, so I hope these will be no different. These came from Rhode Island to New York in 5 days from order to mailbox...not too bad. Also there are 3 pages of detailed instructions which I will study very carefully; don't want any oops.

I will get into the colors and finishes as I start the actual building process. Still need to order the detailing parts from San Juan Miniatures for the Climax and the farm while I start the project. This should be a fun build along with finishing up the Farm.

That's it for now so any comments and even more so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Larryc Posted - 01/01/2021 : 1:44:42 PM
Here's a bit of an update:

The bolt castings came on a "comb" which were painted flat black. Drilled a total of 24 holes then cut each one off the comb one at a time and glued them into place. Also added 6 "stirrup steps"; one one each side and 2 on each end. The can on the front is a kerosine can spray painted flat black then coated with gun metal paint. The cap and the spout on the can were painted brass.

The headlight is a kerosine light which was painted flat black. The burner in the light was made from a scrap piece of "sprue" cut and painted brass. The tip was painted red to show the flame then glued into place. Also added a rusty chain over the railing. There are a pair of "link and pin" couplers which will be installed after the trucks arrive and are installed.

The back has a set of "stirrup steps" as well as the front. Cut a straight pin and drilled a hole , glued into place and painted the end red to hang another chain on.

That's about it as far as the details go, although I may add a few more as I get them on the front, and will post some final photos after the trucks and couplers are installed.

Thanks for stopping by and of course any suggestions/comments are always welcome.

Larryc Posted - 12/28/2020 : 10:58:24 AM
Thank you Rick used is good!

Karl you're sense of humor is about on par with mine. Keep the radar going; they will pass your way before they get to me.
k9wrangler Posted - 12/27/2020 : 8:14:56 PM

don't see any mail anyplace close
Rick Posted - 12/27/2020 : 7:10:18 PM
Used but not abused.
Larryc Posted - 12/27/2020 : 5:30:13 PM
Philip thanks for the compliment. The trucks that I ordered are supposed to arrive Wednesday, but we'll see. The actual detailing parts just left Denver Colorado the 26th. Don't expect them for a least another week. The postal service got really bogged down with packages.

Michael thank you, appreciate it.

Jerry thanks; didn't want to go too heavy handed with the weathering.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 12/27/2020 : 5:21:42 PM
Hey Larry looks great I like the eay going weathering.

Take a break come on over to the lounge for a relaxing drink you deserve it!!
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/27/2020 : 5:00:54 PM
Looks very nice, Larry.
Philip Posted - 12/27/2020 : 3:43:47 PM
Weathering look good!

Don't count on Wed Larry. I still have non delivered parcels from Dec 16th. USPS The bearer of bad news...

Philip
Larryc Posted - 12/27/2020 : 3:23:00 PM
Since I'm still waiting on detailing parts which may arrive Wednesday at the earliest, I went ahead and weathered the Climax A so here are a few photos of the result:

The weathering is quite subtle and was done with charcoal powder rubbed in with my finger. Didn't use A&I because that would have been too much. I wanted it to look dirty but not worn out. Also added some rust to the railing on the front.

White chalk was rubbed into the roof for a sun faded look and a rust wash applied to the smokestack.

The wood for the boiler looked like it had just been split so I used a coat of A&I to make it look like it had been sitting around for awhile before being stacked into the loco. This shot shows the rust on the smokestack better.

That's it for now until my parts arrive. Any comments/suggestions welcome.
Larryc Posted - 12/21/2020 : 10:14:44 AM
Yannis thank you. Yes I'm going to weather the loco before adding the detailing parts. Want it to look well used but not "on it's last legs".
Yannis Posted - 12/21/2020 : 07:24:36 AM
Great looking model there Larry!
Do you plan on any further weathering etc?
Larryc Posted - 12/20/2020 : 3:44:52 PM
Philip thank you for your kind words
Philip Posted - 12/20/2020 : 1:34:41 PM
Coming along nicely!

Philip
Larryc Posted - 12/20/2020 : 09:45:19 AM
Karl thank you. You know I've been so focused on the building part that weathering completely slipped my mind. Old age sneaking up? To answer your question, yes I'm going to do some weathering in the next couple of days. I want it to looked used but not "on it's last legs." Thanks for reminding me.

Rick thanks. More details will be added soon.

Jerry thank you for your support.

BreizhSteamer thank you for your nice comments and thanks for stopping by. The Axeman's toes are fine, although he did whack himself in the leg a couple of times but he'll live.
BreizhSteamer Posted - 12/20/2020 : 07:20:59 AM
That little machine is coming along nicely, Larry. Nice job!
I really like the details, the chopped wood even has some splits, where the axeman missed the perfect hit. Hope the toes still are all in place...

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000