Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: pkrueger ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bernd Posted - 01/12/2020 : 2:19:16 PM
This thread will be about the layout Iím going to build or should I say try to build? As I build the different sections I need a place to keep all projects together so I can remember what Iíve done and post the next update to. I hope to tie all the loose posts Iíve done so far into this one thread.

Unfortunately I couldn't get everything in the subject line. Here's what I wanted to post.

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bernd
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bernd Posted - 01/03/2021 : 4:08:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Looks great Bernd!

Thank you Tyson, much appreciated.

I was contemplating my limestone wall subject while heading for the mail box yesterday. I was thinking of taking a field trip west to Leroy NY to the limestone quarry there for some stone samples to bring back home. As I was walking up the driveway looking down a rock about 2" in size caught my attention. Picked it up and looking at it I came to the realization that I had ordered two truck loads of crushed gravel for the driveway and they come from a limestone quarry only about five miles west of me. So by the time I got back from the mail box I had a collection of rocks in my pocket. (I know what your thinking, this guys got a collection of rocks in his head. ) I gave them a quick wash, then dried them. Here's what they look like in case you haven't seen 2" rocks.

I'm thinking I can incorporate them into the limestone quarry scene. I was wondering why they are so dark in color. Always thought limestone was more light gray. So down the rabbit hole I went. Discovered there are different types of limestone depending on where it's quarried. While researching I came across much more information on how limestone is quarried and sizes. So another question answered in my limestone quarry build.

Bernd
Tyson Rayles Posted - 12/30/2020 : 09:37:54 AM
Looks great Bernd!
Bernd Posted - 12/29/2020 : 12:30:13 PM
Thanks Frank and Mike.

In my hast to cast the rock crusher bin walls I used the wrong set of masters I had made some time ago. After I had milled them out I saw that I had not done a good job in drawing them in CAD. So I corrected the mistake and milled out four new ones. I had actually forgot to do a fourth one on the first milling job.

So I found the new ones sitting next to the mill. I had milled them out but never cleaned them up for casting. The pictures below will show what went wrong. One of the openings, the red dot on the Plexiglas masters and the red stars on the mold is bigger than the other three. They should all be the same size for a symmetrical look.

So I'm in the process of building a new mold box. Also have to order more RTV. Now I can also make a mold for that augur I'll need.

Bernd
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/27/2020 : 08:17:35 AM
Bernd,

Your stones look very real. Youíre on the right track.

Mike
thayer Posted - 12/27/2020 : 12:32:23 AM
Sure looks good to me!
Frank Palmer Posted - 12/26/2020 : 5:28:34 PM
If this was February I'd say the bullet holes were from the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, but this is still December. So it must have been Bastogne.

I like it Bernd.
Bernd Posted - 12/26/2020 : 3:38:12 PM
Practiced a little "rockfacing" this morning. Really didn't feel like getting into any heavy modeling.

I took the scraps from the rock bin walls and did some chipping. The bottom two rows are yellow dental stone cast from that commercial wall I was going to use to copy those rockfaced blocks from. The white is either white dental stone or Hydrocal, and of course the yellow dental stone.

I then got some acrylic grey paint and gave the wall a wash. Probably need to go over it again to darken it.

So the question is did I get close, not so close or very close to the commercial wall casting? Be honest. I've got thick skin.

I did notice that the yellow dental stone once fully cured was hard to work with. So I'm either going with the white dental stone or Hydrocal. Also need to determine block size, depth, width & length. Anybody got any ideas? From what I gather from the videos you can order any size block you want. More experimenting is in the future.

Oh, those holes in the blocks, there'er not bubbles, there bullet holes.

Bernd
George D Posted - 12/26/2020 : 11:45:48 AM
Interesting work, Bernd. Watching those videos, I didn't realize working limestone was that easy. I'm reading a book on how medieval gothic cathedrals were constructed. I'm really impressed with the skills of stone masons.

George
Bernd Posted - 12/26/2020 : 10:51:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

It appears that your roundhouse project has become a Sisyphean effort. Just be careful to get out of the way when the stone rolls back downhill. It will rough you up whether itís hydrocal or dental stone.

Mike

I heard of that term before, but had to look it up. Well, unlike Sisyphean I've got square stones. They don't roll. I little tougher to get up the hill, but will stay put when left alone. I will reach the top and have a finished roundhouse sometime in 2030, maybe 2050. Don't know yet. You have to be careful with dental stone, it has a tendency to bit you.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 12/26/2020 : 10:47:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

By the end of this quest you will be a full fledged stone mason. Looking better all the time.

I started my apprenticeship in 2000.

Do you think that after 20 years I passed my test?

I did a majority (90%) of the brick work on the house. Learned a lot about laying bricks, including keeping a straight line both vertical and horizontally. Now I've graduated to building HO scale block/brick walls. Might even learn stone carving.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 12/26/2020 : 10:26:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Those "stones" look great Bernd. You've got that phase conquered.

Thanks Carl. On to phase two - creating a master pattern.

Bernd
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/26/2020 : 10:20:00 AM
Bernd,

It appears that your roundhouse project has become a Sisyphean effort. Just be careful to get out of the way when the stone rolls back downhill. It will rough you up whether itís hydrocal or dental stone.

Mike
Frank Palmer Posted - 12/26/2020 : 09:43:19 AM
By the end of this quest you will be a full fledged stone mason. Looking better all the time.

Carl B Posted - 12/26/2020 : 09:05:02 AM
Those "stones" look great Bernd. You've got that phase conquered.
Bernd Posted - 12/25/2020 : 7:56:18 PM
Today was quite productive in the modeling arena. I started out by surfing through the thread on the Modelers Forum in the subsection on George Selio's F&SM. I came a cross a link to Roger Hines thread on making individual stone blocks. I had forgotten I had discovered that thread way before I even gave thought to building a stone block roundhouse. After reading it I got the urge to some stone work. I went back and watched the "Rock Facing & Stone Cutting" video I posted a link to earlier in the thread. Then I remembered the Bruce Hirst video on casting dental stone and how the dental stone easily chipped once fully cured. Ok, I put two and two together and got four. The stone facing video mention how easy it was to chip limestone and the dental stone video mention how easy the dental stone chipped once cured. That brought on the "Ah, Ha" light bulb moment. Those crusher walls I had cast where Hydrocal, white dental stone and yellow dental stone and they had cured for two days now. So I used them for some experimenting. The following pictures show the results.

This first group is Hydrocal on the left, yellow dental stone, white dental stone and Hydrocal again.

These are all Hydrocal. The piece on the far right is what I started out with. I filed the face nice and flat.

Yellow dental stone, Hydrocal - the piece was scored and just snapped in two. It shows a surface similar to a concrete block when you fracture it. The piece on the right is a piece of Hydrocal where I just chipped away at the face.

A second picture of the stone faced Hydrocal with the lighting at a different angle to show the jaggedness of the stone.

In order to get that look one needs a tool. After watching the stone facing video I knew I needed a miniature version of a chisel and no hammer. I ground the tip off a #11 Exacto knife. It's not sharp on the end.

There's two ways to hold the tool. The first one is used with a pushing motion.

The second is still a pushing motion but the motion is 180 degree turned around - for a lack of a better term. I think you'll get the idea.

And the end result. A miniature rock facing.

I didn't think this technique would scale down. But when I remembered that Bruce Hirst said that dental stone chipped easily I figured what have I got to loose. If you don't quite understand the technique I suggest you watch the first two videos of Rock Facing with Mike Haduck. The links are provided below.

Video #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkzBWGoWxAI&ab_channel=MikeHaduckMasonry

Video #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH3wHGzc-t4&ab_channel=MikeHaduckMasonry

My conclusion at this point is that dental stone works the best because it chips easy. Hydrocal also works but is a bit softer. Now that I know how to make rocked faced blocks I need to revamp my roundhouse build technique. But first I must make a set of castings for those rock bin walls.

Bernd

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000