Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 209 ]  [ Total: 210 ]  [ Newest Member: phottenstein@cox.net ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Lou’s Logging Wood Disc load

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
desertdrover Posted - 04/26/2020 : 12:01:08 PM
I opened my to-do file looking for a quick project to build, and remembered this one I always liked at the top of my list to build for myself.
While looking through the internet a few years back for ideas I found this inspiration from Jim Wanlas MMR-585. He did a HOn3 Logging Disconnects with Special Load build. See here; http://jamestowntrains.com/my-quest-for-master-model-railroader/my-3rd-ap-certificate-master-builder-cars/hon3-logging-disconnects-with-special-load
My build will start in the next post.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bandman Posted - 06/30/2020 : 8:02:02 PM
A very interesting project, Louis. Thanks for sharing. I keep wondering if adding another shelf coupler to the adjacent disconnect car would help with that dropping problem, but I'm not that familiar with shelf couplers. Just a thought.

Horton M.
desertdrover Posted - 05/10/2020 : 2:15:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by locolouie

Hey @DesertDrover, another awesome build. I love how you converted the Kadee couplers on the rooster tail so you can continue using standard couplers instead of link-and-pin (which are, IMO, a PIA).

Your contributions are top notch!

LocoLouie

Thanks very much for checking-in and posting your comments. Now knowing about the #118 SF couplers with the added wire, also simplified things and I can un-coupler from the pole and pull away now by keeping the trip pin in place.
locolouie Posted - 05/10/2020 : 11:40:32 AM
Hey @DesertDrover, another awesome build. I love how you converted the Kadee couplers on the rooster tail so you can continue using standard couplers instead of link-and-pin (which are, IMO, a PIA).

Your contributions are top notch!

LocoLouie
desertdrover Posted - 05/08/2020 : 09:25:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Louis, great solution adding the wire to the 118 coupler shelf. You're a logger through & through :)

Thanks!
Bill Gill Posted - 05/08/2020 : 07:35:01 AM
Louis, great solution adding the wire to the 118 coupler shelf. You're a logger through & through :)
desertdrover Posted - 05/08/2020 : 12:07:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Just an observation, that Rooster Pole would be one heavy son of a gun when yu got done with the shipment and wanted to use the disconnects for something else...

The pole was stored until needed once again. They were very heavy, but the logging business didn't have wimpy men hanging around.
Pictured below is a push pole. A push pole is a hardwood pole between 8 to 12 feet long and 5 inches in diameter used between the 1870s and 1960s to push a freight car (on an adjacent track) onto or off a siding or other track. Placed between a locomotive and the freight car, the two ends of the pole would fit into receptacles called push pole pockets. You can see even they were hefty.
And then you have the rooster pole that was quite heavy as well. No such thing as OSHA back in those days.

And, that wooden dowel I have shown there is just a test pole with slots cut into it to hold the uncut coupler ends to test the fitting.

BurleyJim Posted - 05/07/2020 : 10:15:09 PM
That's where the guy with the Extra large T-shirt and Extra small baseball hat comes in handy.

Lou, the 'disc' could be swapped out in favor of hotdog pennies, and it could be a party car.

Jim
k9wrangler Posted - 05/07/2020 : 8:44:36 PM
Just an observation, that Rooster Pole would be one heavy son of a gun when yu got done with the shipment and wanted to use the disconnects for something else...
desertdrover Posted - 05/07/2020 : 7:55:18 PM
As the women would say in the church hall, “BINGO”!
After looking at the #118 SF coupler this afternoon, instead if a shim epoxied in place, I thought of using a thin wire. So I drilled a #76 hole in the top shelf of the coupler, and inserted a K&S .020 wire, Stock #499, and used ACC Gel to glue it into place. Once dried I cut the wire at the face of the coupler.
It works perfectly now holding in place, and a lot less work than having to modify the #5 coupler trip pin. And an added plus here, is that on the test track when placed over an un-coupler magnet the rooster pole trip pin worked as usual, and uncoupled from the adjoining disconnect, letting the pole uncouple and drop. So I won't be cutting of the trip pins.
That leaves me with, still thanks going out to Bill Gill for introducing me to the Kadee #118 SF coupler, and starting this adventure for me.

desertdrover Posted - 05/07/2020 : 7:49:48 PM
Thanks Bill, Greg and Rich for your thoughts and comments.
Pennman Posted - 05/07/2020 : 5:34:43 PM
Wow, Louis, you sure make great stuff. I find new things every time I check back. Excellent work.

Rich
Ensign Posted - 05/07/2020 : 5:07:20 PM
Louis, no matter how you slice it, that's one interesting looking setup!
Perhaps a museum wanted this wood disc for an exhibit, and this is what they came up with to ship it too them.

Greg Shinnie
Bill Gill Posted - 05/07/2020 : 4:19:43 PM
Well, Lou, you may have a good fix for my almost good idea. Sent you an email.
desertdrover Posted - 05/07/2020 : 2:49:54 PM
Well back again with my Rooster Pole question, using the Kadee #118 SF couplers test:

Bill Gill had a great question and idea for making rooster poles a lot easier, and got my hopes up, but here is the test. Or as we like to say: The proof is in the pudding.
I just got my hobby order delivered and the Kadee #118 SF couplers arrived with it. I took a small dowel and cut slots in each end, just to be able to insert the couplers without cutting the whiskers off, in the case this method didn’t work.
I placed the rooster pole on the logging disconnects, and at first glance it was a winner, but as I attempted to pull the logging disconnects along the track, the pole dropped down through the disconnect truck couplers. These couplers however are not a total loss for use, because I think if I were to epoxy a small shim onto the lip of the shelf, to make it longer, it will do the job.
So back to the drawing board. If the shim idea works, it will still be easier than going through the #5 coupler modifications each time.
See attached pictures for visuals of test.

desertdrover Posted - 05/04/2020 : 5:31:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

The newer 107's have a coupler like Bill displayed with the whiskers.

Super nice load!

Philip

Thank you for your comment Philip.

Yes, the newer Kadee 107's come with a coupler with whisker now. But, what the 118 SF coupler that Bill showed is, that the shelf on the top and bottom of these couplers we are looking for to hold a rooster pole in place with adjoining couplers. We cut the whisker part off anyway. So it is the shelf that makes the difference. I hope I'm making since here.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000