Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 278 ]  [ Total: 279 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Railroad Line Administrative Forums
 Administrative Posts
 Louis Gomes (desertdrover)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rick Posted - 04/12/2019 : 11:16:35 AM
As you may have noticed Louis has again reached the boundaries of the forums post counts.
As a result any thread where Louis has posted is broken.
Joe is away on business but will fix it when he returns in a few days.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rail and Tie Posted - 04/18/2019 : 3:10:42 PM
I think I saw the admin mention that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to migrate the forum to a new platform? I would agree that a Go Fund Me platform would probable raise more than enough money to do this right. it would potentially provide a more friendly, updated platform and insure the future of this great forum. I know I would donate $50 or $100 dollars for the value this forum has given over the years. If we had 20 of 30 more at that rate we would be done. I am assuming there would be many many more willing to contribute.
BurleyJim Posted - 04/18/2019 : 2:06:38 PM
Denny,

I'm sure Joe would entertain your help in resolving this one.

Jim
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/18/2019 : 2:04:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

unfortunately this forum software is 20 + years old and has not been supported in at least 10 years. I have looked into moving the Railroad Line Forum to a new platform. However MIGRATING all the data / users / pictures would cost a couple thousand dollars ( I did find a company who would do the migration )

So, unfortunately we have to live with this..

Thanks for your understanding

Joe

Joe, no one on this forum under appreciates your devotion to RRL.

I'm only posing the proposition of getting a quote for the cost of updated software and putting it to the users of this forum if they would be willing to contribute $$ to fund the cost of the update. I know of several people, myself included, that would certainly be willing to help finance an overhaul. It would be interesting to see if a "RRL Fund Me" was an option.
CWRailman Posted - 04/18/2019 : 1:43:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:
Originally posted by CWRailman

When he hits the buffer, why not just open another membership and add a number like 1, 2 etc to his handle with a link to his original handle? That way old postings can be found without being conflicted or restricted by new postings.
Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: http://www.cwrailman.com/
Facebook: CWRailman

Denny,

The forum is essentially a giant database. All references are 'tied back' to a unique data element (your userID). Anything like CWRailman2 or BurleyJim(X) would not associate any past postings to the 'real' CWRailman or BurleyJim. (it is defined as a unique piece of data, and the option is immutable. I can imagine that the original developers in the late 1990's never expected the amount of data available would reach these levels. Here is a good read on databases. https://www.britannica.com/technology/database Database design is a moving target as the quest for more and more info is "out there".

Jim

Jim, the technique of linking his original postings to a new identity such as I suggested is as old as linking databases together which I first started using around 1975 with our main frame system and continued years later with stand alone Dbase etc. This can be done in his signature by referencing/linking to his original name. It's not that difficult and is still in use today by companies to control sizes of data bases or who want to make certain information available for a short period of time then they divorce the linked data base from the original. The only thing this does not do is maintain a total number of postings.
Denny
Janitor in Training

BurleyJim Posted - 04/18/2019 : 1:23:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CWRailman

When he hits the buffer, why not just open another membership and add a number like 1, 2 etc to his handle with a link to his original handle? That way old postings can be found without being conflicted or restricted by new postings.
Denny
Janitor in Training

Denny,

The forum is essentially a giant database. All references are 'tied back' to a unique data element (your userID). Anything like CWRailman2 or BurleyJim(X) would not associate any past postings to the 'real' CWRailman or BurleyJim. (it is defined as a unique piece of data, and the option is immutable. I can imagine that the original developers in the late 1990's never expected the amount of data available would reach these levels. Here is a good read on databases. https://www.britannica.com/technology/database Database design is a moving target as the quest for more and more info is "out there".

Jim
CWRailman Posted - 04/18/2019 : 12:27:28 PM

Denny
Janitor in Training

TRAINS1941 Posted - 04/18/2019 : 12:04:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

quote:

I changed his post count to 17,000.

Thanks Rick for rescuing Louis. BUT, that's only a temporary band-aid. Louis needs a permanent fix for the continuing problem.

Frank, did you read Joe's comment?

Maybe we should start a "ME FUND" or "WE FUND" account...
BurleyJim Posted - 04/18/2019 : 11:59:55 AM
Good move Rick, in light of the situation. Maybe a little more pro-active response when Louis warns of getting near "the magic number" next time, will circumvent a now known problem.

Thanks for ushering this along. I downloaded the Snitz software and documentation over the weekend and spent hours looking through code. We know it's a 'shareware' package that was developed in 2000 and looks like hasn't been actually touched by any support since around 2012ish. The 'fix' that was applied was appropriate. Unless, as Joe says it's a high dollar venture to change it. I'm for leaving it "AS-IS".

Thanks again!

Jim
Rick Posted - 04/18/2019 : 11:28:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

quote:

Thanks Rick for rescuing Louis. BUT, that's only a temporary band-aid. Louis needs a permanent fix for the continuing problem.

Frank, did you read Joe's comment?
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/18/2019 : 11:19:27 AM

quote:

Michael Hohn Posted - 04/17/2019 : 9:15:30 PM
Hear hear!
k9wrangler Posted - 04/17/2019 : 7:19:23 PM
Joe, Rich, Lou, thank you and all the dozens of great folks that do keep this the best repository of model railroading that Iíve experienced.

Carl B Posted - 04/17/2019 : 3:52:57 PM
Welcome back Louis!
Pennman Posted - 04/17/2019 : 1:48:07 PM
I'm happy that you are back Louis. Well said indeed. Thank you for being a friend to many and a special Thanks to Joe for keeping this forum active for all to enjoy.

Rich
TRAINS1941 Posted - 04/17/2019 : 1:46:02 PM
Glad you got back to posting Louis!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000