Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Work on South River Modelworks Layout

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
southriv Posted - 12/28/2018 : 2:10:09 PM
Hi Everyone, Just a quick post to let everyone know that as I have REALLY settled into retirement I've finally (within the last year +) have been working on my layout on a regular basis. As I take in the net effect of retirement on my daily schedule (and I have other hobbies) I wonder how I ever had time to run a business!

I have links to my Flickr slide shows you can access on my website, but the important one is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103194951@N02/sets/72157683576799481

...If you are already familiar with this slide show and haven't seen it in a while I would recommend scrolling to the end and working back as I am now trying to post updates at least once a month. I am really done commercially, so with what little spare time I have left (again, how did that happen?) I'll be exploring more ways to participate by sharing. I'm not to the FSM level (how George models so well that fast is beyond me) but hope to provide some entertainment.

Best to all, Bob
http://www.southrivermodelworks.com/

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
halrey Posted - 01/03/2019 : 8:13:58 PM
Bob,

Glad you are enjoying your time!

Hope you stop by too say Hi in Springfield.

Hal

Maybe we will see you guys at DF's Bday in March again...
Bernd Posted - 01/03/2019 : 7:52:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by southriv

Bernd - The majority of the kits are based on actual buildings. Often, I would combine features of more than one building and/or I would apply selective compression to make the buildings fit better on a layout. For example, some prototypes, if followed precisely, would be 2 or 3 feet long. Always, the goal was to capture the unique character of the building(s) the kit was based on. Only one kit, Martin Machine, was based on the actual dimensions. These were gleaned from architects base plans which were drawn up a guide for a restoration/remodel. The Stone Roundhouses was sort of based on John Allen's at the request of George Sellios (it was originally a project for him). The Brick Roundhouse had it's origin in some original B&M plans (that seem to have been lost...anyway, each kit has unique a "discovery" story.

Bob

Bob,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I've often wondered how you kit producers put out such find models with all that detail. Looks like it takes a good eye to make a believable model. John Allen's round house is a work of art with that stone carving. I've always admired it. More so after following John Siekirk build of that engine house on the Modelers Forum. His picture of your Stone Roundhouse on the South River & Millville is beautiful. Must take a lot of patients to make the master mold.

And Thanks again for posting your pictures. Makes a guy like me aim a lot higher in my model building.

Bernd
southriv Posted - 01/03/2019 : 5:02:49 PM
Bernd - The majority of the kits are based on actual buildings. Often, I would combine features of more than one building and/or I would apply selective compression to make the buildings fit better on a layout. For example, some prototypes, if followed precisely, would be 2 or 3 feet long. Always, the goal was to capture the unique character of the building(s) the kit was based on. Only one kit, Martin Machine, was based on the actual dimensions. These were gleaned from architects base plans which were drawn up a guide for a restoration/remodel. The Stone Roundhouses was sort of based on John Allen's at the request of George Sellios (it was originally a project for him). The Brick Roundhouse had it's origin in some original B&M plans (that seem to have been lost...anyway, each kit has unique a "discovery" story.

Bob
Bernd Posted - 01/03/2019 : 12:31:27 PM
Bob,

Had a chance to take a long look at your web site at all those kits you produced. I'm impressed with the beauty of those kits. Unfortunately I never had a chance to purchased any. I did get to see one of those designs in person though. Pennman (Rich) had built one and he had the opportunity to show me his scratch build version of Martins Machine. What a beautiful designed model. Rich had done it justice in his build. Were these models copied from actual buildings or are they a your own designs based on New England style structures? I'll have to look around and see if there are any on the market I can afford.

Thanks for posting your fine work. It is very inspiring as is your layout.

Bernd
quartergauger48 Posted - 01/02/2019 : 10:35:38 PM
Congratulations on one heck of a layout and on retirement'.
Known as the best job you can have'... Your mill dam looks exactly like the textile mills powered by water in many New England areas in the 19th Century. One of the best renditions I've seen in modeling...
Pennman Posted - 01/02/2019 : 8:17:30 PM
Hello Bob,

I must say that ever since you sent me your pictures of your layout during my build of Martin's Machine co, I have been in both envy and awe. Envious due to the fact of having a huge layout and awe because of the beautiful scenes.
Your choice to do Autumn scenery catches the eye as it flows seamlessly throughout the entire expanse. A layout like yours that depicts great scenery as well as great structures is in my opinion, modeling at its finest. Thanks for manufacturing great kits and for sharing your fine accomplishments with us.

Rich
southriv Posted - 01/02/2019 : 5:58:47 PM
I make good use of Weldbond...

...but back on topic, I want to thank everyone for the great comments. I still have a lot of work to do - especially on scenery. Just me, but I feel that I have to complete more of the scenery before coming up with new buildings. Luckily, I've been able to plug in (or plan for) about 20-something of my kit dioramas.

One huge challenge is that as time passes, I often come up with (or see) a better "way". As an artist for most of my life, this is a very healthy dynamic. For example, I usually make running technique changes for water or trees. I'm often in the process of doing some minor re-dos here and there. A quick scan through the forum always yields many, many new possibilities...lots of talented people here.
David J Buchholz Posted - 01/02/2019 : 5:29:51 PM
Will it work on my wife's lips? They keep coming apart and flapping needlessly.
Bernd Posted - 01/02/2019 : 2:30:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

Went to the website listed above. Any recommendations for what glue I should use to repair my jaw after it hit the ground?

I hear CA works good, they use a type in the hospital to glue you back together instead of sewing you up with some kind of rope. I know it works because I just repaired my dropped jaw after visiting the site. Trouble is I broke my toe when my jaw fell down on it. Talk about beautiful model work. WOW.

Bernd
David J Buchholz Posted - 01/01/2019 : 11:59:55 PM
Went to the website listed above. Any recommendations for what glue I should use to repair my jaw after it hit the ground?
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/30/2018 : 10:17:51 PM
Beautiful work. I like the broad curves in the railroad and the scenery with tree-covered hills and rocky chasms. And of course there are all those fantastic structures.

Mike
Orionvp17 Posted - 12/30/2018 : 8:25:40 PM
Looking good, Bob! Retirement obviously agrees with you!

Pete
in Michigan
Philip Posted - 12/30/2018 : 8:17:58 PM

Philip
Guff Posted - 12/30/2018 : 7:25:46 PM
Bob,
Beautiful layout! A pleasure to look at.
Well thought out and the scenes tie together nicely.
Dave
craftsmankitcollector Posted - 12/30/2018 : 5:22:55 PM
The Red Boxes rocked but this layout is fantastic!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000