Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 new construction

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RobertT Posted - 11/17/2017 : 3:03:37 PM
I moved into my present house last year, and recently started a new layout. I though I'd better take and post some photos before I get too far along and wish I had done this. Haven't gotten around to naming it yet in case you were wondering. I finished the benchwork and roadbed. Benchwork consists of mostly 1x3 boxes topped with 5/8" ply. Sheet cork was cut up and used for subroadbed. Waiting on track supplies: ties, spikes, joiners, etc before starting to lay track. For the most part it will be hand laid, including turnouts, though there might be a piece or 2 of flex track if I get lazy. The track in the pictures is old stock I had and i use it to help me visualize the track plan, and determine what will and won't fit. Speaking of track plan... don't have one. I had a basic concept thought and sketched out, which is just a once around with branch to the lower level (pier area) and a ramp up to reach the ore dock. More on this later, but if I understand the instructions correctly here are the photos working clockwise around the room, which is approximately 9x11.

First photo shows
Layout room entrance section. it is hinged and can drop down to allow a walk through, but most of the time I expect I will leave it up, and duck under. Upper line is spur to ore dock. Truss bridge (in progress) will span basically from the end of the elevated roadbed to the ore bins.

To the right of the entrance is a station with main/passing siding in front and house track/yard lead passing behind the station, and in front of the spur to the ore dock. To the rightmost will be a small yard and the switch back to the ore dock.

Turning the corner the main will cross a future river on a thru truss bridge, climbing a slight grade:

The side of the room/layout opposite the station has both an upper and lower level. The upper level will have a siding (front track on upper level, runaround and sidings (rear 2 tracks). eventually low profile industries will be behind the sidings. On the lower level are the wharf trackage. The tail track running under the main and back to the corner will be inside a tunnel when scenery done. That is one short section that will be flex track.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/RobertT/20171117145133_rr5-1.jpg" border="0">

This busy corner from foreground back shows the right end of wharf trackage, the wharf branch down grade, main line, and finally an industrial track at an angle to the corner. The lowest "shelf" in the foreground will be the dock for the ore boat/barge with modeled water.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
k9wrangler Posted - 12/08/2017 : 08:47:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RobertT

Lots of work, not a whole lot to show for it. Mostly laying ties, and some flex track. I thought I had some turnout length ties laying around, but can't find them, so will be waiting on a shipment of those before long.

I've been using this liquid nails for projects to secure the ties and flex track to the cork roadbed. seems to work nicely, as long as you aren't in a big hurry.

I used Liquid Nails for some track at one time and found that it dried out after a couple of years. I switched to clear caulk that has seemed to stay a bit flexible for quite a bit longer. I put it on with a serrated edged tool I made to make it even and quite thin. in a row of parallel ^ shapes much like a floor tile application of goo. It smells healthier, too.
RobertT Posted - 12/07/2017 : 6:26:20 PM
Getting started on turnouts. On a railroad this size you have so much more flexibility if you don't limit yourself to commercial turnouts. This 1st one, two really will allow a much longer passing siding since I can move the 2nd switch about 18" farther back than if I were using commercial #5 turnouts. It also lets the track flow much better. I start by laying out the routes one at a time with flex track or sectional track and laying a sheet of 11x17 paper over the track and doing a pencil rubbing of the rails.

RobertT Posted - 12/07/2017 : 12:24:59 AM
I finally got all my supplies in to start building turnouts and hand laying track. Before I get started on that, I wanted to see if an idea I had for a retaining wall was going to work like I have envisioned. I picked up a sheet of granite tiles used for back splashes etc. I thought the size would be perfect to simulate large granite blocks in 1/4 scale. unfortunately about half the tiles are polished, which wouldn't be suitable, so I have to peal the bricks I want off and individually glue them to the layout.

RobertT Posted - 11/26/2017 : 11:40:55 PM
Lots of work, not a whole lot to show for it. Mostly laying ties, and some flex track. I thought I had some turnout length ties laying around, but can't find them, so will be waiting on a shipment of those before long.

I've been using this liquid nails for projects to secure the ties and flex track to the cork roadbed. seems to work nicely, as long as you aren't in a big hurry.

RobertT Posted - 11/19/2017 : 11:43:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Great to see how much someone can get done in a week. Looks ambitious and fun. Keep us up to date.

Oh, it's been much more than a week to get it to this point, but making steady progress. Biggest thing holding me back now is supplies, which hopefully will be arriving soon. Currently I laying ties on the elevated ore dock approach and dump track. 6' or so of them. I'm doing as a continuous length because the grade goes from 4% to level on the approach as well as starting on a tight curve then straightening out so it would be a nightmare to do prototypicaly.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/18/2017 : 11:07:42 AM
You are off to a promising start. I like the looks of what I see so far: well-engineered, clear vision of desired outcome. I enjoy watching wharf scenes come together.

Mike
k9wrangler Posted - 11/18/2017 : 07:52:12 AM
Great to see how much someone can get done in a week. Looks ambitious and fun. Keep us up to date.
RobertT Posted - 11/18/2017 : 12:52:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Yes it does look good. Robert you must be a young dude, ducking under, reaching high for the upper lever. Good for you brother, keep us up to date please.
ed

Yes Ed, a young 60. And a short 6'3". after I started I did do some re-designing to get the duck-under up about 4 more inches as I found I was hitting it too often.
quartergauger48 Posted - 11/17/2017 : 7:23:36 PM
Nice looking and clean work displayed'..Good luck with your new layout, and keep us posted with up dates'..
brucet Posted - 11/17/2017 : 6:29:18 PM
I'll be watching to see how you can use the 9x11 foot room. The more I see of small layouts the better they look. Who said big is better?

Here's a link to a guy who does wonderful small layouts. Yes they are British but!!!
http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com.au/

bruce
David Clark Posted - 11/17/2017 : 5:33:48 PM
Exciting! A new layout through which to live vicariously!
Cheers,
Dave
ed k Posted - 11/17/2017 : 4:47:05 PM
Yes it does look good. Robert you must be a young dude, ducking under, reaching high for the upper lever. Good for you brother, keep us up to date please.
ed
TRAINS1941 Posted - 11/17/2017 : 4:10:52 PM
Welcome Robert.

I see you've been busy what you have so far looks real good.

Looking forward to seeing this thread move along. Keep us up to date.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000