Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: AllanJSmith ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
David Clark Posted - 01/07/2017 : 10:35:22 PM
I have abandoned the thread "Dave's First On30 Layout" to start this one as I had figured out a name and want to keep a dialogue and record going of the build.
Having secured a place in the basement, I need to relocate some furniture and a (rarely used) treadmill belonging to my mother-in-law.
I started by building the benchwork out of 1/2" plywood, with 3/4" plywood gussets in the corners for stability. I pre-drilled holes in the girders for wiring. Each module is 78" x 30" as per the layout in my first post.
The modules are nice and light, I think the heaviest single piece will be the 1/4" piece of hardboard that will be the surface of the water. Legs were built up from 1x2 and 1x3 boards and long enough to put the module at about the 4' height. Since I'm building a shadow box, I think this will be a nice height for my 5"8" body.
I had some cool stuff arrive over Christmas - some manual turnout controls from Fast Tracks called Bullfrog turnout Control that require assembly. Check them out at www.fast-tracks.net. They weren't too expensive. I also picked up some "suitcase" connectors from Lordco, an automotive supply store, two packs of 15 came to $7.00 - definitely less expensive than a model railroad retailer (sorry).
Cheers,
Dave

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Philip Posted - 05/01/2018 : 2:48:34 PM

David Clark Posted - 05/01/2018 : 2:19:06 PM
Mike, thanks for noticing. You were right, the "slash" was backwards.
I also got some lights put in but I haven't got them powered yet. Not sure how I'm going to get power to the dock, now that it is installed (didn't think far enough ahead - actually I didn't think I would be doing lights).
Will try for more pics tonight.
Cheers,
Dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/30/2018 : 10:44:55 PM
Dave,

I think your roof is going to require new shingles soon. Individually-applied shingles look great on a model.

By the way, I was able to copy and paste the link to your image in another window to see it. I think your slash before the img tag is the wrong one.

Mike
David Clark Posted - 04/30/2018 : 10:31:32 PM
It's been while but I got a chance to finish the roof (minus weathering and attaching) for my chandlery.
I used the cedar food wraps, weathered in IA mix. I used about 3 4"x4" sheets and had some left over. I let the different sheets soak for different periods to get different shades. The shingles are stuck down with double-sided tape. I added a piece of grey Canson Miteintes paper that I lightly sprayed with black to be a patch on the roof and the patches on the ridge.
I will make an attempt at adding some exterior lights to the building before I attach the roof.
Comments/suggestions are, of course, welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark Posted - 04/17/2018 : 01:22:05 AM
After puzzling for some time over a roofing material I decided to try my hand at cedar shingles. I used sheets of cedar wrap for bbq-ing. Sliced them into 2' scale lengths, soaked them in some IA solution, then cut them into 18" long shingles, and attached them with double-sided tape. This roof goes on the bump out on the brown building. Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark Posted - 04/11/2018 : 3:50:34 PM
Thanks, Mike. LOL. It's my mother-on-law's sister and husband - it's all been quiet down there.
Cheers,
Dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/11/2018 : 07:32:04 AM
Dave,

“Chants” is looking good with the posters and just the right size support under the overhang.

Do you hear the sounds of trains running from your bedroom?

Mike
David Clark Posted - 04/11/2018 : 12:37:49 AM
So here is the chandlery assembled but roofless. I still need to make a porch and some stairs at the front of the building. I think I will put a lean-to type roof over that door as well. The black, blank part of the sidewall abuts "Chants Import-Export" and the loading dock will extend down the back of Chant's to the baggage door on the side. I have guests using my train room as a bedroom for a couple of days so I can't show it in situ.
Comments are welcome, of course.
Cheers,
Dave

This is the front of the building.

This is the view looking from the west side. You can see the baggage door that will accept and deliver freight to the track side loading dock.

Here is the view from the end of the wharf looking west. Freight can pass through from water-side to track-side here.
David Clark Posted - 04/10/2018 : 11:55:23 PM
Here's a little detour to talk about lighting. In my search for information on lighting I came across lots of information and ideas from many on these forums. I tried some from Bill at Microlumina, some grain of wheat from Micro Mark, and then some others from WeHonest via eBay. I had no experience with any of them and had no idea what size they were, how long the necks were etc. Bill was generous enough to send me a couple so I could try them out. Here is a picture of all of them so you can compare.

The first 4 next to the ruler are from WeHonest. I was hoping to use the light pole along the wharf but the 1/2" thread works out to 2 scale feet and extends way below the dock. The gooseneck and straight lamps are pretty big scale-wise and seem to stick out too far from the building wall but the hanging lamps would work fine inside an engine house or mill, just fine. The lamp at the top is from Microlumina and requires a craftsman model to sit on, I think. Using it on my building would be like throwing pearls before swine. I'm not saying this to fish for compliments but it is so fine compared to the roughness of my construction that it seems out of place. Finally the one, with the twisted wire, is the GOW bulb in a Ngineering O-scale lampshade. I was thinking of doing the Greg Shinnie method of coating the twisted wire with thick paint to make it look like tubing. The lamp shade seems to be an appropriate size and I can make it stick out as far as I want. Of course, the first ones (Microlumina and WeHonest are all LEDs, which still freaks me out a bit - I haven't figured out a wiring plan yet. The WeHonest stuff was sent with 620 ohm resistors, so I'm assuming they are sufficient. Just not sure if I should be adding resistors to each LED or ganging them into three's. I was going to use a wall wart that puts out 12V (the GOW bulbs are 12V-15V). Am I correct in thinking that I can use as many bulbs in parallel as can "fit" as long as I don't go past the complete wattage of the wall wart?

These are the Ngineering lamp shades. I just drilled a hole in the top and fed the wires through.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,
Dave
David Clark Posted - 04/06/2018 : 12:54:04 AM
Got a little more work done on the chandlery. I applied some signs by printing them out on a regular piece of paper, and gluing the back with Aleen's tacky glue, which made the paper pretty soft enabling me to make it conform to the siding. I sprayed the insides of the windows with Testor's matte varnish. I still have to put the rear loading door in (under the yellow sign) then I can finish assembling the building.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Dave

I used machinist's blocks to hold the walls plumb while the glue set and I cut some corner braces from left over foam core to stiffen the corners.

This will be the little bump out in the front of the building.

This is the cantilevered bit (actually supported by scale 8x8s).
David Clark Posted - 04/04/2018 : 12:50:44 PM
I've been stuck because I've been unhappy with the colour of the siding. Last night I decided to daub grey paint on it to tone it down and make it look like the weathered wood showing through more. I also peeled off the Rusty Stumps window trim off and glued on scale 1x5 instead. Overall I think it looks better. Now I can go ahead and put some signs up, and glue the walls together. I think I will make the doors green to add some colour.
I am debating adding lighting which will mean drilling down through the dock so the wires can go somewhere to get power.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Dave
Philip Posted - 03/26/2018 : 10:06:53 PM
Michael Hohn Posted - 03/26/2018 : 9:41:17 PM
8 by 8 sounds right.

Mike
David Clark Posted - 03/26/2018 : 8:47:30 PM
On another note, I think the building is too brown but other than completely repainting it I guess I will have to live with it. That brings in to question a colour for the roof. Green roofing felts? Grey shingles? The business still needs a name.......
Cheers,
Dave
David Clark Posted - 03/26/2018 : 7:27:06 PM
Bruce, I think that is an awful lot of cantilever. I will need something to support it. I hadn't considered the cleaning although the track is slightly raised above the decking I think I can use a Q-tip on it. Thanks for the observation.
Mike, I agree with you. I don't want to go too skinny-looking though and I think I will use the 8x8 with cross-bracing, mostly because I have it on hand.
Cheers,
Dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000