Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nelson458 Posted - 08/20/2017 : 3:01:26 PM
I have only recently, after some 5 or 6 years, started building a small layout. Although I am not much into operations, I do enjoy a little switching, and have found Peco insulfrog turnouts just the ticket for me, easy to throw the points, very little wiring. In fact, I might have gotten a little carried away with their turnouts . My 5' by 10' layout, is more destined to be a large diorama than an operating layout. And that was my intention.

Soooo, that being said, I have always wanted a small facility for the engines, nothing big, an engine shed (rather than a roundhouse) and machine shop, coaling station and a source of water. Ever since I built Sierra West's engine house, I thought that might be just the thing for this layout. Since that shed is HOn3, it won't do well here, besides, I have plans for that later.

So I set about planning the actual size of the shed. I already knew from the beginning what I wanted, and where, I just hadn't gotten the track set up and everything 'sized' so it would fit. It will be about 13.5" deep, contain 3 tracks, and one off to the side. I'm building it on 3/16" ply, it is pretty flat now, but after I glue stuff down that might change, so I am going to re-enforce the bottom with some sturdy hardwood. The layout sits on 2" foam, so I would need to cut into that for the added strips underneath.

The engine shed will be built very similarly to the Sierra West model, board by board on a framework of 6x6 stripwood. Or maybe 4x6. The roof will be peaked in the center, and the right hand stall will be set back 4.5" which will be used for small engines.

So far, I made a simple cardboard moch-up to see how it fits. I am glad I did, as the two r/h tracks didn't line up like I wanted. I had a short l/h turnout leading into those stalls and open area, and replaced it with a medium length 'Y' turnout. That proved to be much better. Sometimes a simple change is all that is needed.

So here are a couple of pictures, a birds-eye view and a sketch of the front of the shed. I hope to start on the project soon, but with an upcoming trip to Colorado for the show, not sure how far I will get before the next weekend.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nelson458 Posted - 11/11/2018 : 08:23:46 AM
I have been painting and weathering a few extra details this weekend. I first gave everything a dark grey primer, using Vallejo paints, sprayed on thin and smooth. I love using the air brush, more so now than I used to years ago, partly because then I didn't have a very good brush and less of an understanding of how they work, plus I worked with enamels which didn't work well for me, long before I got into acrylics.

I am mixing up the details with scratchbuilt and metal castings from FSM, Sierra West and SSLtd, as well as a few others.

But since I hadn't followed up with the painted heater, I thought I'd share some here. The lighting was a little dark, so I apologize for that, I had to adjust the brightness on my XnView programme to show them better.

The weathering applied is both Rembrandt pastels and Dr. Ben's weathering powders, both applied with a small brush wetted with water. I have never used a fixative on details like these, and find they stick very well enough without it. I often use pastels to paint with, I love the 'flat' tone they give to details that is better than I can achieve with paints. I can put it on thin, or thick for rusted areas that I can't do with paint.

Some of our resident crows we have in our area. They must live within close proximity to our house, as they frequent our trees, bird baths, play on the fence posts, in the yard etc., almost all the time. We keep some water out for them, as they are the only birds that seem to need it this time of the year. A few months ago, we had a couple grooming each other on our fence. They are fun to watch.

Nelson458 Posted - 11/07/2018 : 7:57:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,

Just catching up to your build again, and this is turning out rather nice, have you worked on the other side of the building lately? How many engines are there to fit in here? It appears that you will have a lot of space for working on equipment. I'm also anxious to see your rafter construction, as I worked at a lumber yard in my twenties making real rafters.

Rich

Hi Rich. I have room for 2 loco's, 4 if they are short like the Ken Kidder's, and the car shop side. I was going to start the rafters, but needed to do some supports first, hence the center wall piece. Also, the details I am doing could really go anywhere, and there are already some details on the loco side, the center wall will accommodate some additional detail.

I had been thinking about putting in a crane of sorts like I did in the Sierra West model, but haven't made up my mind yet, still in the thinking stage. There are plenty of details I have outside in a box that I haven't added yet, as placement is everything, and I don't want to put down something and change my mind later.

So I really am making a lot as I go. Or at least it seems so. Most of the time I only have the weekend to do anything, so it goes along at a snails pace.
Pennman Posted - 11/07/2018 : 02:30:04 AM
Tony,

Just catching up to your build again, and this is turning out rather nice, have you worked on the other side of the building lately? How many engines are there to fit in here? It appears that you will have a lot of space for working on equipment. I'm also anxious to see your rafter construction, as I worked at a lumber yard in my twenties making real rafters.

Rich
Nelson458 Posted - 11/05/2018 : 4:56:54 PM
Robert , thank you.

Mike, I never thought of it that way. Thanks.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/05/2018 : 2:42:20 PM
Tony,

Nice shop stove. Seems only fitting that what looks like a home-made stove is represented by a home-made model.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 11/05/2018 : 11:35:20 AM
What a nice warm stove
Nelson458 Posted - 11/04/2018 : 5:07:06 PM
There is an O scale kit I have from Western Scale Models which includes a shop heater. There isn't one available in HO, so....I made my own. Took the best of some 6 hours over 2 days. Still need to paint it though.

At first, I forgot I had it, and printed off a picture I found on line of the same thing. After I paint it I'll add it between the car and loco side of the shop, along with a coal bin and some tools like a coal rake and shovel. I'll even put in some real coal from Smith & Son's Ballast.

For a size comparison, the first photo is about actual size.

Nelson458 Posted - 10/30/2018 : 6:00:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

I think that once it is loaded up with stuff, it will look great. No one is going to be thinking, "if only it were some shelves".
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave. The idea is to have some narrow shelves, yet some areas to hang tools. Your right, when I get a chance this weekend, I will load it up, or some of it anyway, depending on how much time I have
David Clark Posted - 10/30/2018 : 12:13:54 PM
I think that once it is loaded up with stuff, it will look great. No one is going to be thinking, "if only it were some shelves".
Cheers,
Dave
Nelson458 Posted - 10/28/2018 : 8:40:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Once you have tools on it it will look better and make a lot more sense. Right now it looks like an oversized fence even though it logically isnít.

I like the originality; not yet another bench.

Mike

Thanks Mike.
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/28/2018 : 10:21:40 AM
Tony,

Once you have tools on it it will look better and make a lot more sense. Right now it looks like an oversized fence even though it logically isnít.

I like the originality; not yet another bench.

Mike
Nelson458 Posted - 10/28/2018 : 08:45:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

I like it just the way it is.

This way the tools will be visible.

Thanks Jerry. I think that after I get everything added on, it will look a lot better.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 10/28/2018 : 12:15:20 AM
I like it just the way it is.

This way the tools will be visible.
Nelson458 Posted - 10/27/2018 : 7:21:02 PM
Made this rack today, set of three between posts, will hold clamps and tools to hang, as well as some odd stuff in lower and maybe upper shelves. Any thoughts? I am up In the air on whether it looks good or not.

Alternately I thought of adding separate self-standing shelves.

You won't hurt my feelings which ever way you think.

Nelson458 Posted - 10/21/2018 : 8:52:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Wow I can't believe this guy traveled all the way from France to be in this diorama!!

Hell your known round the world!!

Looking good Tony keep up the great work.

LOL, that's funny.

Thanks.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000