Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George D Posted - 11/04/2010 : 2:46:22 PM
Our last thread of introductions grew to a whopping 100 pages. I guess itís time to start a new thread.

Mike C provided the original guidance for this thread which works pretty well.

It's really great getting to know one another. If you're a new member (or even an old one who never replied to the original thread), please take a few moments and introduce yourself to us here.

1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

If you want to see how others answered the questions, the last thread is here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8297&whichpage=1

George
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hairball Posted - 08/05/2019 : 11:18:48 AM
I was a former member here MADMIKE3434 and sold off all my kits and model/dioramas back in 2013 after purchasing a 1935 Chevrolet roadster.

When trying to get my previous password could not obtain but your tech magician managed to get me registered again under a new members name and diff email address as all my others were not available to use but we are back and looking forward to contributing.

I have built 389 HO structures dioramas and at #390 built my first O scale. Last diorama I built was #514 a combined tom yorke Feed store and Feed store annex.

I scratch built a lot of wood structures which is my favorite form of modeling. Starting in January 2019 I started scouring ebay for On30 stuff and a lot of On3.

some examples
http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/madmike.html

mike lynch.
pmmcgraw Posted - 08/03/2019 : 8:48:03 PM
Hi Everybody,

I live in McMinnville, Oregon, a smallish town halfway between Portland and the coast, and the capital of Oregon pinot noir wine country.

I've loved trains since I was a kid in Southern California. My first model railroad was an oval of Lionel track which my mother had pre-scenicked and installed several buildings. It was sitting in front of the tree when I came in on Christmas morning. It ended up being kind of frustrating because it never seemed to work, and eventually I just gave up.

When my son was about 6 or 7 (this was in Chattanooga, TN), I built an HO 9' x 6' oval layout which had a few buildings and a couple of sidings. I never got around to any scenery.

My current layout fills a large room of what used to be a school, and we are expanding to a second room. "We" are the Polk Station Rail model railroad club, and our building is now the Grange Hall in tiny Rickreall, Oregon.
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.
George D Posted - 06/27/2019 : 8:47:52 PM
Welcome aboard, again, John. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourself.

George
john.l.schooff@gmail.com Posted - 06/27/2019 : 6:18:57 PM
Hello forum members . My home of late since I retired is in Chatham Ontario Canada. I grew up outside Tecumseh Ontario on my parents chicken farm. To the north of us the Canadian National railroad mainline passed through. I used to lie in bed at night and listen to the trains pass by in the distance. I grew up in the 1950s and steam was still ongoing in those days. In the summers when us kids were out of school we would venture out and check out the railroad first hand . One of our favourite things was to sit underneath the railroad bridge and wait for a train to roar over head . It was a lot of fun. So I was hooked at a early age . So my interest in is in the late transitional stage where I can run steam and diesel locomotives. I run a freelance layout at the moment with country side towns and southern Ontario landscapes. I have a chunk of our basement which I claimed for myself about 12 by 16 feet . I like ho scale and enjoy kit bashing or scratch building structures along with all the hobby has to offer. Our only grief from us modellers in Canada is the expense of purchasing items across the boarder with the value of our dollar and shipping costs . I control my layout with DCC which was quite the learning curve without a tutor as I used to run DC years ago. I also collect 1/16 scale farm equipment and putter about woodworking on and off. John .
CNR.PEI Posted - 04/29/2019 : 6:15:43 PM
Hey yíall,

My name is Calvin. Iím from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island- Canadaís smallest province.

Iíve been involved with the hobby for about two years now, though my interest in trains began as a kid- as it does for most people I suppose. A little background: My interest initially began when my grandfather gave me a Thomas The Tank Engine wooden train set when I was a child which I still have to this day. As a teenager my interest in trains laid dormant- my major hobby, interest and eventual profession was music. I hit the road with various bands as both a musician, later as a tour manager and toured all over Canada and the United States. Upon my exit from the entertainment industry, and eventual entry to the aviation industry I needed to find another artistic outlet- airplanes are cool but Iím around them all day. Model trains has it all.... WITHOUT the headaches of being around career musicians! LOL. I could make this story a lot longer but the short of it is I took an interest in the history of CNís operations on PEI, which eventually led me into modelling.

As stated above, my main interest is CNís operations on PEI. More specifically, my interests focus on the Charlottetown area and the Murray Harbour subdivision in the year span of 1958 to 1968. At this time I donít have a layout, but designing a 9ft by 7ft HO scale switching layout of the Charlottetown area is in the works. It will be controlled by a NCE Powercab system.

My favourite part of the hobby at the moment is kit building and super detailing freight cars resin, wood, styrene, mixed media- I love it all. I havenít done a brass kit yet but Iíd love to try one. My least favourite part of the hobby has to be layout design... I am at the point where I am considering hiring a consultant. The space I have is so small that I really want to make sure itís designed right.

Looking forward to getting involved with this place!

hbgatsf Posted - 04/10/2019 : 10:40:01 AM
I did think about that at one time. My RR is set post 1980 so that I don't have to deal with cabooses. The Pennsy was long gone by then and that would be a bit of a stretch, to say nothing of availability of locomotives.

On the other hand I have been thinking of getting a K4 and some passenger cars. I would run it as an excursion train like I do with my ATSF 3751 Northern and the F3 Warbonnet AB.
George D Posted - 04/10/2019 : 10:13:48 AM
Welcome aboard, Rick. The nice thing about this hobby is you can do what makes you happy. However, being a Pennsy fan, I think you should reconsider your Santa Fe plans.

Geoorge
hbgatsf Posted - 04/10/2019 : 09:25:46 AM
This is going to be a little long but I thought it would be helpful to understand my railroad.

My interest in trains started when I was a toddler. My mother would take me to a steam engine service facility a few blocks away in West Philadelphia. We could see what was going on from an overpass and I was content to watch for hours.

That led to a Lionel train set that was put up at Christmas. I donít know where my parents bought it but back in those days you just got what the store had. In this case it was an A-B set in the Texas Special scheme. Over the years items were added so that it had several locomotives and a number of operating cars, but as the years went on I always wished that A-B set was a Warbonnet.

Fast forward to adult life. I had gotten married and had small children. I decided to pull out the old Lionel stuff and set it up for the holidays. It was a big hit, and when it was taken down the kids were disappointed. After the marvel of electricity the Brio trains couldnít compete. We went to Toys-R-Us and got a simple HO set that they could ďplayĒ with. It just happened to have an ATSF engine. It is very possible that is what drew me to that set. As that little set grew and locomotives were added I would get more ATSF so it would match.

By the time the kids grew out of ďplayingĒ with the trains I was ready to start my empire. I spent a couple of years of Saturday mornings designing a layout with Cadrail for the space in the basement that I had commandeered. Back in those days the budget was very limited so if I already had something it was going to be used. I had decided to use the new DCC technology and got decoders to install in the blue box locomotives. A few years later I was adding Atlas motive power but the die was cast. This was a Santa Fe railroad.

The problem with that is I like deciduous trees and have no interest in modeling desert or plains. Now that may seem silly since after 20 years I am still running on benchwork but the goal is to soon move on to scenery. Little work has been done on the layout for the past 10 years since my job had me traveling but I just retired and plan to build all the kits I have accumulated. Forested mountains will be part of the project.

So there you have it Ė Santa Fe in Pennsylvania. I am no rivet counter but I do like to have some sense of realism. I figure I can justify this by pretending ATSF took over from Conrail in this area instead of NS.

Rick
George D Posted - 03/18/2019 : 4:46:45 PM
Armchair modeler or not, you're welcome here.

George
ncstl576 Posted - 03/18/2019 : 3:08:04 PM
Hi, I'm new here from deep in Seaboard Air Line territory in southwest Georgia. I'm a high schooler and have little space, so I'm afraid I"m an armchair modeller for the moment.
jamesI Posted - 02/23/2019 : 9:17:42 PM
Hello all,
I am JamesT and I have been lurking quietly for several weeks as I read, reread, and studied track plans and topics. Finally found my plan today after months of almost but not quite starts.
I been in the hobby many years and built 6 layouts with my father. Been a 9 year hiatus but I am back.
I am building a HO scale modern switching layout 20" by 10' with a 3 foot "stickout".
Its NCE with 1 or 2 engines operating together. I guess its proto freelance in that I have modeled 2 industries correctly and represent the 3rd.
I "FEASED" the trackplan together today with mock ups of the design, doing it using track and boxes gave me a sense of what works. I scribbled out a trackplan and took photos for my own use and to see what input fellow members might add. Well thats if I can find a way to get them uploaded
Thanks, James
Lake Havasu City, AZ
George D Posted - 02/22/2019 : 09:09:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Ben. Sounds like you have an interesting layout.

George
George D Posted - 02/22/2019 : 09:09:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Ben. Sounds like you have an interesting layout.

George
Dutchman Posted - 02/22/2019 : 08:59:50 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Ben, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to the other members!
Ben de Vink Posted - 02/21/2019 : 8:31:39 PM
As a new member trying to find out how this works, let me begin with introducing myself.

My name is Ben de Vink, age 51 from Vlaardingen, a small town near the city of Rotterdam in the Netherlands which happens to be the biggest port in Europe and even some time ago, the biggest of the world.

So, truly a Dutchman.

I also work in this vast area as a security officer at the gate of an oil terminal.

I have been a model railroader for about 30 years, started out as a model truck collector. Initially, the model railroad was only an excuse to have some movement on my lay-out which was, and still is, a port complex.

Being single and thus having the only say in my household, I decided to set up shop in my living room. It is a space of roughly 5 x 5 m2 so that equals tot 15 x 15 sq ft ? Unfortunately, due to location of the kitchen, balcony and hall this space required for an island shaped layout design.

And although my space is limited, my dreams are not. And the only way is up so there it is; a 3 layer walk in lay out. Because of the space restictions and no compromises to reality there is no room for the track to connect the levels. All three decks have an open end track which is in fact the terminal of the line.

On the upper level is the refinery with storage tanks and jetty's for a deep sea tanker and for an inland/short sea tanker. The middle deck is made up of the container terminal moddeled after the Pier 400 Maersk terminal in Los Angeles. Complete with a Maersk container ship resembeling an 8000 TEU 'S'class containership. Which i shortend to 3 m/9 ft in order to fit in the room.
The lower level has the Bulk terminal with part of a bulk carrier. Furthermore a ferry terminal(traffic UK-Netherlands) and a small inland container terminal which used to be on a level higher. 'Plenty of work to be done and never finished', that's my motto.

All is situated in present day (era V-VI) and H0 scale. Maybe should have chosen N scale but there is a reason for that.

My favorite H0bby part is the construction of the lay out scenery. My least favorite part is the electrical stuff at which I absolutely s*ck. No solution for that problem yet.

Since the maximum track length is no more than 5 m/15 ft there is no need for DCC. The refinery has the longest track with some turnouts and switches. So there is interest to be able to run the trains by some sort of remote operating system but as said...

The main focus of this lay out has always been the scenery and an approximation of reality, so no 'track spaghetti' in order to run as much trains as possible.

Besides this lay out I do enjoy some spotting. Not train-, truck- or plane spotting but 'Port spotting' in which the whole area is of interest. With a special interest in shipping containers.

Would love to come and visit the port of Long Beach / Los Angeles someday. But for now Google and Bing Maps will have to suffice.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000