Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: CHARLES SEIDELMANN ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/25/2014 : 9:53:52 PM
With its shorter days and days off, this time of the year tempts the modelmaker to start new projects. I try to resist temptation by beginning the new year with fewer unfinished projects on my desk.

One that has gone unfinished for too long is my model of a Central of Vermont boxcar, actually a modified BTS laser kit of a PRR 28' boxcar. Today it went through the paint shop.

Next step: Art Griffin decals.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ocalicreek Posted - 01/04/2019 : 4:17:15 PM
I like sipping coffee and looking at the workbench, or the railroad, whether or not a train is running. But that's one reason I built the current railroad with a continuous running option, so that I could just sit and sip and think. I like the view you shared - quite a collection of early rail rolling stock.

As for ground throws, I currently don't have any machines on the switches and have been operating just fine with only one turnout needing to be held in place. I use a stick pin for that one, and even that will go away once I add some shims to increase the friction beneath the throw bars. I throw them with the same bamboo skewer I use to uncouple the cars.

I'm considering modifying the switch targets to move like Wolfgang Dudler showed in MRH and on his website, but that may be too much effort for such a small thing. I haven't decided if that's important enough to pursue. I have Details West switch stands and targets but they aren't yet installed.

I used Caboose ground throws on my timesaver along with slide switches embedded beneath the throw bar to power the frog. Had one slide switch fail and digging it out was a pain. I replaced it with a micro lever switch and that has worked fine, but I decided then I wouldn't use that arrangement again. Right now I don't have to power frogs. If I do I may go with a Frog Juicer.

Have you seen the caboose ground throws mounted beneath the head ties?

Galen
OK Hogger Posted - 01/03/2019 : 7:33:13 PM
Hi Dave:

All of those model types are available in several flavors, often by different manufacturers. To wit:

SW 1500

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.XSW+1500.TRS0&_nkw=SW+1500&_sacat=19128

RS-1

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.XRS-1.TRS0&_nkw=RS-1&_sacat=19128&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=19128&_odkw=SW+1500

RS-2

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.XRS-2.TRS0&_nkw=RS-2&_sacat=19128&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=19128&_odkw=RS-1&LH_TitleDesc=0

Ah yes, those ornate paint schemes. I'm a bit relieved that I will not need to produce such paint schemes! I sit in disbelief at the results that our own Hakan can get when he creates such schemes. Amazing.

My TOC19 locomotive painting efforts are going to be significantly less ornate. Thank Heavens for the move to more black and less frill during the 1880s!

BTW: I hear voices, too. Persistent, they are.

Andre

deemery Posted - 01/03/2019 : 5:33:24 PM
I want a (1st gen) diesel to test wiring and then run the track cleaning car on my layout. I'm surprised at all the classics that are no longer being made, SW1500, RS-1/RS-2, etc.

If I were going to do serious dual-era, I'd do 1890s and 1870s, and have a set of 4-4-0s painted in those great 1870 schemes that John Ott documents so well. http://www.ottgalleries.com/Prints.html

dave
OK Hogger Posted - 01/03/2019 : 2:08:35 PM
Ah, I got it, now. I was trying to find more than the "Iíve done that before on an MDC RS-3" reference.

Nice that you have two outlets: Your home layout for your TOC19 fetish, and the club for the 1950s.

No such luxury here. It's one or the other, or both on the same.

Don't think I will be a pioneer of the dual era concept (I believe others have gone before me), but I will certainly know more about its feasibility in, say, a year or two.

All fer now.

Andre
Michael Hohn Posted - 01/03/2019 : 11:49:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Mike:

I went back and reviewed the pages previous in this thread of yours in regard to the provocative Alco pic and can't find a connection? What am I missing? Are you considering dual era or something?

I'm sure dual era isn't a panacea for everyone, but it might be the saving grace for me and TOC19.

More on that later in my "Update" thread.

Andre

Andre,

Near the top of the previous page I mentioned that Iíd installed a decoder in an MDC RS-3, to which Bernd responded. I thought it would be an interesting and fun exercise to put some of my 20th century equipment on my layout, testing out the dual eras idea.

I have this equipment to run on our club layout; it is usually in boxes at home. I have a pretty wide interest in railroads and modeling, but Iím deeply entrenched in New York State 1880ís for my home modeling and West Virginia 1950ís at the club.

No, I donít plan to do a dual era layout; you can be the pioneer.

Mike
OK Hogger Posted - 01/03/2019 : 10:58:39 AM
Mike:

I went back and reviewed the pages previous in this thread of yours in regard to the provocative Alco pic and can't find a connection? What am I missing? Are you considering dual era or something?

I'm sure dual era isn't a panacea for everyone, but it might be the saving grace for me and TOC19.

More on that later in my "Update" thread.

Andre
RyanAK Posted - 01/03/2019 : 09:26:33 AM
Two-eras is an interesting concept, especially for mid-sized industrial or mill towns from the late 19th century. If stretching to the modern era, often the downtown and major industrial buildings haven't gone away but have been re-purposed. "Revitalized" or "gentrified". And the railroad has moved to the edges of town where modern rail-served industry has the space to sprawl their spartan PEMB complexes. Rather than being an important fixture in the very fabric of the community, the trains quietly move around the perimeter, quietly going about their business, quietly trying not to disturb the new, 'evolved' sensibilities of the town. A switcher and a couple of covered hoppers momentarily stops traffic while they scoot off to the drywall plant that was built a few years ago on Bill Maybee's farm. And then the gates lift. And the cars continue their shuffle...
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/31/2018 : 6:40:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

If its Auburn, it needs a prison overlooking the railroad.

And the Alco Engine plant since Mike has an Alco engine. The Alco 251 engine was built in Auburn, which means Mike needs a DL420 (C420) and two GE X3341s 3 foot narrow gauge for the White Pass & Yukon Route. And this one is right up Mike's alley. Auburn produced the 12-cylinder 251A engines which were test in a pair of FA2 & FB2 Lehigh Valley units. So Mike you have good reason to have those Alco's on your "future" layout.

In case you wonder where I got the info from: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/ALCO_251

Bernd

Good point. In fact I believe the Alco plant was immediately to the west of the area Iím modeling. I like the old Alcoís. They remind me of my smoking days as a student.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/31/2018 : 6:35:33 PM
quote:

Dave

The prison would be in the background of my Auburn for sure, but the Owasco Outlet and factories would be immediately to the north, between the area Iím modeling and the prison.

Mike
Bernd Posted - 12/31/2018 : 6:18:27 PM
quote:

And the Alco Engine plant since Mike has an Alco engine. The Alco 251 engine was built in Auburn, which means Mike needs a DL420 (C420) and two GE X3341s 3 foot narrow gauge for the White Pass & Yukon Route. And this one is right up Mike's alley. Auburn produced the 12-cylinder 251A engines which were test in a pair of FA2 & FB2 Lehigh Valley units. So Mike you have good reason to have those Alco's on your "future" layout.

In case you wonder where I got the info from: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/ALCO_251

Bernd
David J Buchholz Posted - 12/31/2018 : 5:22:50 PM
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/31/2018 : 4:42:14 PM
I wanted to see what it felt like to channel ďAndre, the two era layout guyĒ for a while.

Actually, if you hadnít seen my earlier photos would you have found anything discordant about the one with the diesel?

What if I decided to go modern? What would I have to change structure-wise? Starting at one end of my layout:
Rural townó
Two story house: keep. Still standing; in fact a model of my own house.
Guffy general store: many still standing.
Second store: same story
Barn: many still around.

Yeast factory: would need to have cupola removed and roofing changed.

City sceneó
Engine house: remove
Shops: remove
Old houses and small store: keep
Depot: keep: based on one still standing in NYS
Factory: modify some
Coal trestle: a goner
Meat packers: building is still standing but now apartments. New version but same footprint.
Lumberyard: move to rural end of layout
Barn: also move to rural town

Bernd Posted - 12/31/2018 : 1:40:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Next pic:

Can SOMEONE tell me WHAT in the name of Heaven a DIESEL is doing camouflaged among those cars in that last picture????

I feel so violated.

Andre

VAPOR WARE. It really isn't there. You only think you see it there because we talked about a couple of posts back.

Bernd
OK Hogger Posted - 12/31/2018 : 12:05:44 PM
Mike:

I shore like that "coffee sippin'" pic.

Agree: Sipping coffee and looking at the current project often gins better ways of doing things. Such an approach is oft used by me with track plans.

Next pic:

Can SOMEONE tell me WHAT in the name of Heaven a DIESEL is doing camouflaged among those cars in that last picture????

I feel so violated.

Andre
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/31/2018 : 11:54:59 AM
Thanks guys!

Bernd, Iím hoping to do a little winter as the layout progresses. As for the RS-3 . . .

Jim, Iím glad you agree. So far I like the change and might go back to replace the Caboose throws. By the way, your thoughts are worth a lot more than 2 cents.

Frank, by the time I received your message I had rewired a loco. Meanwhile my coffee got cold.

Carl, thank you for stopping by.

Philip, working as a plumberís helper once, I noticed he spent significant time thinking through the next step. It taught me to slow down rather than rush in. Glad you enjoyed my thread.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000