Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: unclebug ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Scratchbuilt HOn30 Monson flats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
deemery Posted - 06/15/2015 : 4:14:08 PM
Here's the first flat I built using a set of jigs that I'll describe in the next couple of days.

The bracing for the car ends is (code 40) rail, just like the prototype. It's a good reason to keep those snippets of rail from track laying.

dave
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
deemery Posted - 06/21/2015 : 5:52:58 PM
This photo shows the difference between Jeff's "scale" stake pockets and Tichy/Grandt stake pockets. (I think these are Grandt, but both Grandt and Tichy pockets are a lot bigger.)

dave
jnj1097 Posted - 06/20/2015 : 11:03:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jschumaker

I looked for PSC's brake gear and pawl on their website. It is not listed on their price list.

Jeff S

Call or E-mail and give them the part number for the plastic or brass part and see if they have them in stock.

I purchased the lot I have years ago, but they should still have them as part of their line.

Jeff
jschumaker Posted - 06/20/2015 : 9:12:48 PM
I looked for PSC's brake gear and pawl on their website. It is not listed on their price list.

Jeff S
jnj1097 Posted - 06/20/2015 : 11:31:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

What's the difference between the Grandt Line stake pockets and the printed ones you used? Grandt has both single and double u-bolt variants. I find the Tichy stake pockets a little too robust for my taste; look too modern.

Mike

The printed parts will fit inside the Grandt Line single u-bolt stake pocket. The Grandt parts are grossly oversize for HO, and even S. Perfect for On2 though...

Jeff
Michael Hohn Posted - 06/20/2015 : 10:54:12 AM
I generally use the Tichy parts after a little surgery. I end up with all these short pieces of brass wire because I find the Tichy part to be a little oversize in diameter for my period. Picky, picky, picky.

What's the difference between the Grandt Line stake pockets and the printed ones you used? Grandt has both single and double u-bolt variants. I find the Tichy stake pockets a little too robust for my taste; look too modern.

Mike

deemery Posted - 06/20/2015 : 10:27:22 AM
Thanks! It's similar to the pawl that Tichy sells, then: https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/brake-gear/p/3003/Default.aspx

dave
jnj1097 Posted - 06/20/2015 : 10:19:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Jeff, what's the PSC part number for the ratchet/pawl you use? Could you post a photo of one?

dave

Here's a few pictures Dave...

Styrene (left) and brass versions of the parts. They come in a four pack.

This photo shows one installed on an HOn2 WW&F flat car.

Jeff
jschumaker Posted - 06/19/2015 : 3:41:53 PM
Dave,

For brake wheels, I have use laser cut ones from Mt. Blue. He is willing to sell them separately. You can contact him through his website.

Jeff S.
deemery Posted - 06/19/2015 : 2:57:56 PM
Jeff, what's the PSC part number for the ratchet/pawl you use? Could you post a photo of one?

dave
jnj1097 Posted - 06/19/2015 : 2:45:45 PM
quote:

Thanks for designing them, including optimizing the sprue to get the best 'bang for the buck' from Shapeways.

Here's a suggestion for a project: Brake ratchet and pawl. I used a Tichy part on my build, but it looks a bit oversized. (You can see it on my completed kit at the top of Page 1.) Also, an assortment of brake wheels would be useful. Finally, a variation on the stake pockets with stakes (either finished lumber or 'sticks' as were used on the Monson) might be useful.

Not a problem Dave, glad to see someone using them. I recently had some more printed in FXD and they look a little nicer/less coarse.

I use ratchet/pawl castings from PSC. They are available in a four-pack in either brass or styrene. I have over 50pkgs of them, so there's no need for me to do a ratchet/pawl, and IMO, the PSC parts will look better than any 3D printed one anyway.

Brake wheels would be too fragile in printed material. I use a Cal-Scale part (brass) for those.

Stake pockets with stakes are doable and not very difficult to do.

In addition to the stake pockets, I've also done body bolsters, and diamond arch bar trucks. I don't sell them because both require secondary operations using tools that most modelers don't have or won't purchase. The trucks use the same wheels you use for your Grandt trucks (0.540" axle).

Jeff
deemery Posted - 06/18/2015 : 09:50:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jnj1097

quote:

I'm using Fox Valley N scale, wide tread, 36" wheelsets. They are a little loose in the Grandt trucks, but then so are the wheelsets that Grandt included in some of the truck sets I have. One difference is the Grandt wheelsets have square axles, while the Fox Valley trucks have the more common pointed axles. The stake pockets are 3D printed from Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/CBENXBEHH?optionId=42783127&li=ostatus

dave

I thought the stake pockets looked familiar... They are mine! I'm glad that they are getting used by someone.

Thanks for the information Dave. It looks great.

Jeff

Thanks for designing them, including optimizing the sprue to get the best 'bang for the buck' from Shapeways. The stake pockets are easier to see in this photo:

Here's a suggestion for a project: Brake ratchet and pawl. I used a Tichy part on my build, but it looks a bit oversized. (You can see it on my completed kit at the top of Page 1.) Also, an assortment of brake wheels would be useful. Finally, a variation on the stake pockets with stakes (either finished lumber or 'sticks' as were used on the Monson) might be useful.

dave
jschumaker Posted - 06/18/2015 : 09:27:49 AM
Excellent jig, Dave.

Jeff S.
jnj1097 Posted - 06/18/2015 : 09:26:58 AM
quote:

I'm using Fox Valley N scale, wide tread, 36" wheelsets. They are a little loose in the Grandt trucks, but then so are the wheelsets that Grandt included in some of the truck sets I have. One difference is the Grandt wheelsets have square axles, while the Fox Valley trucks have the more common pointed axles. The stake pockets are 3D printed from Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/CBENXBEHH?optionId=42783127&li=ostatus

dave

I thought the stake pockets looked familiar... They are mine! I'm glad that they are getting used by someone.

Thanks for the information Dave. It looks great.

Jeff
deemery Posted - 06/17/2015 : 10:51:45 AM
Same jig would work for house cars, in fact I think Monson had some boxcars built on flatcar frames. For most boxcars, you'd have to adjust the size of things to account for the external sheaving.

dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 06/17/2015 : 10:46:44 AM
Dave,

Nice looking car. I've long thought those two-foot flats were pretty cool with the end stakes sticking up through the floor. When I did a bunch of flats a couple of decades ago I did a couple with stakes like that, but in standard gauge. I've since decided that was pretty rare in standard gauge so they are not at all accurate. Still, they are part of my MOW string of cars; I use them for ties.

I'll have to remember your jig next time I build some flats.

Good job all around.

Mike

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000