Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Silver City Models

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 03/10/2015 : 5:11:03 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this outfit?

Seems to be a small resin casting shop that does both HO scale old time freight cars, and modern 1/25th scale Formula one race car shells. I found (purely by accident) their link on E-Gay, and decided to try out a couple of their kits. They had a casting for a low side gondola (reminded me of the old Tyco/Mantua "1860" gondola, and what they called a bottom dump hopper (which looked to me more like a bottom dump high side gondola). Anyway, I sent them a PM asking if they had a website. Once the kits arrive, I will photograph them, and post a report.

Horse

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 04/16/2015 : 2:14:38 PM
OK, so I started cleaning up the castings from one of my hoppers. Ran into an interesting problem. The floor is too short for the side castings. Not a catastrophe, just an annoyance. I'll scab in some wood end beams to space out the floor length to correct, and go from there.

Horse

CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 04/16/2015 : 2:09:22 PM
Blair;

Thanks for that input. I agree some cars/locos, etc did have the buffer blocks, and P&R definitely would have used them, considering the deep influence that the British financiers had on the early life, and operations of that road. Keep in mind that the P&R ran on the left hand track, as opposed to the right hand track like most U.S. roads, and continued with that tradition for many years (The Reading Railroad Vol 1 James L. Holton) largely because of the influence of the Brits.

PRR mostly used the style of link/pin couplers (HO comparable model produced by Wiseman model service) which had a self buffering feature, so they did not use the buffer blocks much after the late 1850s, but you are correct, I absolutely should apply them for these hoppers.

Horse

BlairM Posted - 04/15/2015 : 10:39:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CavalryTrooper25

Using the info in these pics, I have decided to use the Romford Quality Product British screw couplings. This is basically an HO/OO version of the more modern incarnation of the couplers originally used on these cars by the P&R.

I think these will be a bit more correct for this particular application than the Wiseman link/pin couplers, although they do work together just fine.

Horse

For any Link&Pin style couple or any non modern draft gear style coupling, make sure you are modeling the old double buffer blocks on both the end sills of freight cars, tender and locomotive pilot. The links would go slack when pushing and the buffer surfaces would mate up to spread the load.

CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 04/15/2015 : 5:39:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BlairM

Early mid 1850s elevation

Late 1870s appearance with archbar trucks

Using the info in these pics, I have decided to use the Romford Quality Product British screw couplings. This is basically an HO/OO version of the more modern incarnation of the couplers originally used on these cars by the P&R.

I think these will be a bit more correct for this particular application than the Wiseman link/pin couplers, although they do work together just fine.

Horse

Michael Hohn Posted - 04/12/2015 : 9:08:51 PM
quote:

Mike;

That makes sense, as having two roster numbers per car would get mighty confusing pretty quickly, I would think.

Do you know if in 68, the paint scheme remained as before, IE black car with white lettering?

Thanks

Horse

The only references to color are in regard to black paint on the older cars before 1868 except for yellow cars in cooperative service with the PRR.

Mike
CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 04/12/2015 : 6:19:26 PM
Mike;

That makes sense, as having two roster numbers per car would get mighty confusing pretty quickly, I would think.

Do you know if in 68, the paint scheme remained as before, IE black car with white lettering?

Thanks

Horse

Michael Hohn Posted - 04/11/2015 : 7:15:29 PM
I
quote:

Wow, these are really coming along nicely. Guess I better get in gear, finish my low side gon, and jump in on this hopper project.

I want to do mine as P&R, that have interchanged with PRR to haul anthracite to cites on the PRR. In the pic that was posted by Blair, it made the point that (at least early) P&R practice was to number these hoppers with two car numbers, one for each end, as one of these ten toners replaced two of the five ton jimmies. My question, mostly of Blair, is were the ends numbered consecutively? My assumption is they would have been, but one never knows for sure, IE as the car shop turned one of these hoppers out, the two 5 ton jimmies in the worst shape were withdrawn, and the numbers from them became the numbers on the new hopper.

As we all know, stranger things have happened. Also, Blair, do you have any info on what the correct numeric series was for these cars in the late 60s, early 70s? I got the answer on the paint scheme from your earlier post.

Thanks

Horse

Eric Neubauer's book quotes a former P&R employee who implies that cars were numbered consecutively I.e. 9801 and 9802, but this is a made-up example from memory, he is unsure of the details, and did not know specific numbers in the series beyond recalling that numbers were four-digit up near 10000.

In any case, the P&R went to single numbers circa 1868. An example in his book of a hopper built in that year is numbered 5031.

Hope this helps.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 04/11/2015 : 4:01:18 PM
So did eastern cities have two or three neighborhood coal dealers like we have has stations this today? Or was there 2 or 3 bulk coal receivers who then distributed the coal to retailers who handled several brands?
CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 04/11/2015 : 2:04:41 PM
Dave1905 posted this in the other thread on this sort of hopper. I bring it over because the picture he references in this post shows several of the old P&R 5 ton coal jimmies, repurposed.

Holton History of the Reading, Vol 1, p240 has an obviously not P&R hopper on the left. I have also seen pictures of B&O hoppers on the P&R.

The mines would be served by a majority of home road cars. What would be different is the different flavors of coal. For example if an industry wanted to burn bitumunous, they would be using other than P&R mines and so would be using other than P&R cars. A large part of the traffic on my line was generated by an agreement on between the B&O and P&R for the B&O to market P&R coal in Baltimore. So lots of P&R hard coal in P&R cars will be going on the B&O. The original purpose of the W&N branch was to market LV coal in the Wilmington and south areas. That never really panned out, but that would have put LV cars further south. At junction points cars from other roads might come on line. PRR cars will carry coal and iron ore to the P&R at Coatesville.

Yes coal cars ventured off line. Yes the majority of coal on a railroad would be in home cars.

Dave H.
Keep 'em painted side up

Just keeping info flowing!

Horse

CavalryTrooper25 Posted - 04/11/2015 : 1:53:08 PM
Wow, these are really coming along nicely. Guess I better get in gear, finish my low side gon, and jump in on this hopper project.

I want to do mine as P&R, that have interchanged with PRR to haul anthracite to cites on the PRR. In the pic that was posted by Blair, it made the point that (at least early) P&R practice was to number these hoppers with two car numbers, one for each end, as one of these ten toners replaced two of the five ton jimmies. My question, mostly of Blair, is were the ends numbered consecutively? My assumption is they would have been, but one never knows for sure, IE as the car shop turned one of these hoppers out, the two 5 ton jimmies in the worst shape were withdrawn, and the numbers from them became the numbers on the new hopper.

As we all know, stranger things have happened. Also, Blair, do you have any info on what the correct numeric series was for these cars in the late 60s, early 70s? I got the answer on the paint scheme from your earlier post.

Thanks

Horse

railman28 Posted - 04/11/2015 : 10:27:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I was worried about that, which is why I checked it. My test track is a piece of 9" snap-track with the Kadee coupler gauge at one end and a piece of 15" snap track at the other. Smooth rolling through the 15" track.

dave

Good, but remember dynamics are different when the car is in a train.
deemery Posted - 04/11/2015 : 03:51:28 AM
I was worried about that, which is why I checked it. My test track is a piece of 9" snap-track with the Kadee coupler gauge at one end and a piece of 15" snap track at the other. Smooth rolling through the 15" track.

dave
railman28 Posted - 04/11/2015 : 12:55:54 AM
Yes, rule one is always supreme but I do wonder if you'll have clearance issues with the trucks hitting the stirups on those 15" radius curves.
deemery Posted - 04/10/2015 : 9:14:38 PM
I left the steps on and replaced the cast-on grabs with wire grabs. I'm OK with this not quite matching the prototype, see Rule #1 :-)

I need to add the brakestaff and this goes onto the paint queue.

dave
railman28 Posted - 04/10/2015 : 6:04:56 PM
There you go. That's the ticket. I guess you noticed that in the drawing and the photos there are no sturups showing. I'm glad you stuck with it until it was good.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000