|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 10/22/2004 : 08:55:29 AM
I've been spending some of my spare time doing research on the anthracite mining industry in northeastern Pennsylvania. Currently, I am focused on the breaker (used to break larger chucks of coal into smaller ones, sort the coal by size, and remove the non-coal) and fan house (used to provide ventilation and exhaust dangerous gases in the mine).
First, the fan house...
I modified the drawing I found to determine the shape of the building. The dimensions still need to be determined since it will depend on the size of the steam engine for the engine room. I am planning on building this with the engine room doors open so you can see the engine.
The last photo is of one fan house for the Dorrance Mine in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can see the engine, since the engine room doors are open.
As for the materials, I will probably use DPM modular walls or kitbash from other DPM kits. The one thing troubling me is how to build the fan since it will be visible to anyone looking in the huge exhaust stack. Admit it, people are going to look. Anyway, this is what the fan looks like:
Any ideas on where I how to scratchbuild or any other ideas? The fan has a diameter of about 20 feet. Some are as large as 35 feet in diameter.
|15 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 12/01/2009 : 3:34:50 PM
Chuck the old foundation and hoist came out looking great. All the detail look great. I really like what you did with the "pot topper" looks real neat. i will have to get so to try.
||Posted - 11/30/2009 : 7:35:09 PM
The next project for the mine will be to rebuild the headframe. You can see it on page 3 of this thread:
My model shows four sheaves at the top. However, the hoist machine only has two drums...meaning there will only be two cables....meaning there is only a need for two sheaves.
So, I removed the top of the headframe and started to scratchbuild a new platform on the top. The one thing that baffled me for a long time is determining what the superstructure is above the sheaves. It turns out, I believe it is a crane of some sort.
This headframe has two beams and hooks, since the two sheaves are not in alignment with each other. If they were, there would only be one beam and one hook.
I think I have all of the materials for the project. But, this may be a while before I get to it. I am on the road the next two weeks and for the holidays. And, January/February is looking mighty grim, too.
||Posted - 11/30/2009 : 09:43:32 AM
Now, that's a really neat use for the pot topper stuff, Chuck. It adds a very plausible spot of color to the trash and debris.
||Posted - 11/30/2009 : 03:30:19 AM
It's really nicely made clutter, and the design of the scene is very interesting, Chuck. As you mention on another thread, a great outside interior...
||Posted - 11/29/2009 : 9:25:14 PM
Beautiful work Chuck!
||Posted - 11/29/2009 : 9:20:01 PM
Looking good, Chuck.
||Posted - 11/29/2009 : 8:52:04 PM
Super job Chuck. Excellent painting and weathering on the castings.
||Posted - 11/29/2009 : 8:43:53 PM
Another project, done!
This hoist house was a lot more enjoyable since I really didn't have to fret about the structure and how it would come together. Instead, this is nothing more than details cluttered together as an example of industrial waste for my mine.
I used "pot topper" from Michael's for weeds in the seams of the foundation. A little bit of work yielded some nice results with this "silfor-like" product. I ended up using a sprue cutter to remove as much of the backing to this stuff as I could before gluing tufts of it in place. The third photo shows a closeup of the material.
For the details, the main piece is the Rio Grande Models hoist. In addition, I have 55 gallon drums from Grandt Line, a crushed 55 gallon drum from Master Creations. A gas can from the tool set from Evergreen Hill Designs. I also have a shovel from them. The gear is from Alexander Scale Models. The sheave is an N scale casting from Grandt Line. The cinder blocks are from Funaro & Camerlengo. The garbage can is from River Dam Model Works. And, the corrugated siding is from Campbell. I added some piping from various pieces of brass tubing and rod that I had. The couplings on the pipe is from left over parts from the Western Scale Models hoist kit. Oh, and the crate is actually a Magnuson casting that came with one of the many structure kits I have from that line. I've added one on the fan house, the hoist house, and now this model as a nostalgic twist.
||Posted - 11/24/2009 : 6:13:00 PM
OK, here is the foundation. It is made from styrene strips and sheet, painted Pollyscale Aged Concrete.
The stone is Plastruct field stone. The mortar lines on the stone is a lot wider than I would like. I couldn't use my dry-sponging technique on it since they are so wide. So I used a wash to get the mortar lines.
I originally painted individual stones, but I didn't like the way it looked with the wide mortar. So, I dry brushed Pollyscale grimy black over it.
Floor joists are next.
||Posted - 11/24/2009 : 6:10:41 PM
Chuck, it's always a pleasure to discover a new addition to your Anthracite Mine project. Everything is always neat and well done.
||Posted - 11/24/2009 : 11:07:08 AM
Neat idea for using the Rio Grande hoist, Chuck... and a beautiful finish on the equipment.
||Posted - 11/24/2009 : 10:22:12 AM
Good to see you are back to modeling as I always look forward to following your progress.
||Posted - 11/24/2009 : 07:45:04 AM
Chuck, I guess finding that diagram was a bit of luck. Good to see you back to work on this project.
||Posted - 11/23/2009 : 10:26:20 PM
Itís going to be interesting to follow the hoist project.
||Posted - 11/23/2009 : 8:10:14 PM
Chuck great looking hoist. I like the over all shade of rust on everything. It looks like it has set out in the weather for years.