Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 209 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Keelung Coal 3.5 ton 0-4-0 Well Tank

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acousticco Posted - 10/14/2013 : 3:25:47 PM
Howdy Folks,

So, has anyone seen the latest On30 beauty from Toma Model Works?

This is it:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/tfw/0481-2.jpg

More info:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/tfw/index-e.html

Watching all you On30 guys making such interesting creations and having tons of fun, resistance is pretty much futile, so I ended up ordering one. Kinda like that guy from the Godfather, thinking I'm out, getting dragged back in or something. On30 is the dark side...

Three and a half tons is TINY for a steam engine so I'm envisioning a string of little four wheel cars, or maybe tippers or something. I'll probably stick close to the coal hauling prototype... I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

-Cody

(***DISCLAIMER*** No affiliation with Toma Model Works except a happy customer)
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Neil M Posted - 11/09/2013 : 7:30:38 PM
In that case (if you on facebook) you would be interested in the Sugar Cane Trains/Navvy Pics 2ft group https://www.facebook.com/groups/132259683477547/ because they have heaps of pictures of Queensland sugar cane railways. There are a few blokes who work up there at the moment and post day to day pictures but there are also photos from back in the 1980s and before. Some of the mills still regularly run diesel hydraulic/mechanicals from the 1950s and they look great!
acousticco Posted - 11/09/2013 : 12:31:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Plantation railways are very interesting! I have been looking at the extensive modern narrow gauge (2'6" or 750mm so none of the complaints about On30 being 6" too narrow ) in Fiji, Queensland and Indonesia. I am not planning a modern layout but it gives the option of doing a present day On30 layout. Many were single customer lines (owned by the sugar plantation they served) but there were some that also carried mixed traffic and served local communities before roads and lorries made it uneconomical.

Fiji, Queensland and Indonesia have some of my favourite sugar cane lines! I especially like the first generation diesels that ran in Queensland when they were still in the 'wholestick truck', hand harvesting era, (though I do like the more modern cut stock bins too). Another one I really like is the Central Rafael Freyre line in Cuba, which was another actual 30" gauge line that used Baldwin Consolidations and bogie type cane bins. They ran lots of long double headed trains with a cane bin between the locomotives to not exceed bridge weight limits.

I have a few freelance sugar cane models started in OO9, including some ex-military vehicles being converted to farm trucks. It's more of a diversion at the moment but it's fun stuff...

Be sure to keep us posted on your cane line!

-Cody
Neil M Posted - 11/09/2013 : 05:29:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

You're right! That O&K would look great on a plantation layout!

I think a hollow boiler would be easier to scratch with brass tube than drill out a solid one...?

-Cody

It might be easier if you can find the right sized tube but it is quite probably a funny size. I have rolled my own but it was a bit labourious and the boiler was a bit delicate. I was thinking that drilling it could have the advantage that it would retain a fair bit of the weight of the solid one and the boiler bands.

Plantation railways are very interesting! I have been looking at the extensive modern narrow gauge (2'6" or 750mm so none of the complaints about On30 being 6" too narrow ) in Fiji, Queensland and Indonesia. I am not planning a modern layout but it gives the option of doing a present day On30 layout. Many were single customer lines (owned by the sugar plantation they served) but there were some that also carried mixed traffic and served local communities before roads and lorries made it uneconomical.
acousticco Posted - 11/08/2013 : 8:04:18 PM
Dang Neil, since you mentioned it, my single piece of On30 rolling stock has been chanting at me "Plantation layout... Plantation layout...

Nothing photogenic happening yet, but I've drilled and tapped a few test holes in a piece of scrap brass which I'll test the screws out with when I get around to opening this kit up. Hopefully Sunday...

-Cody
acousticco Posted - 11/07/2013 : 11:24:26 PM
You're right! That O&K would look great on a plantation layout!

I think a hollow boiler would be easier to scratch with brass tube than drill out a solid one...?

-Cody
Neil M Posted - 11/07/2013 : 10:01:03 PM
Ah, so it's a split frame pickup design. I like that because there are no contact wipers to set up on the wheels but the down side is that the quartering is a little bit more fiddly to set up (not that it will be much of an issue on an 0-4-0).

The Decauville is gorgeous and right up my street! That and the O&K would look very nice in a little engine shed on a plantation layout. Damn it. I've gone and said it to myself!!

The reason I was asking about the boiler was that I was thinking it would be the ideal place to hide batteries, however if it is solid then that idea won't really work. Unless I drill it out? Thanks for the link to the instruction pages. I didn't understand a lot of it (!) but the pictures are good and the kit looks well designed and fairly simple to assemble.
acousticco Posted - 11/07/2013 : 10:22:19 AM
Hi Neil,

I agree about the O&K kit, it looks fantastic. And Toma just released an On30/On2 Decauville 6-Ton locomotive which looks pretty incredible as well: http://homepage1.nifty.com/tfw/0411-2.jpg

The boiler is indeed a solid brass turning and the gears are plastic with press on metal wheels, a design I quite like. You can see the instruction sheet here: http://homepage1.nifty.com/tfw/0481.pdf

In other news, I'll be picking up my taps today after work so building may commence shortly (another item I'm picking up today will probably delay starting the kit immediately; a copy of Narrow Gauge To No Man's Land...).

-Cody
Neil M Posted - 11/07/2013 : 07:39:12 AM
That looks like a lovely kit. I have been salivating over the O&K; it looks so lovely! Does this model have a solid brass boiler? I was reading the toma model works site through Google Translate and I think that is what it said.

Do you have to mount the gears on the axles in the gearbox yourself? That tripped me up on an earlier model - the brass gear was an interference fit on the loco axle and I managed to get it on but used too much force and the gear had a wobble when I was done. I'm still not sure what I should have done there? Maybe heat the gear and chill the axle to give an easier fit? If these are plastic gears that would make the motor and gearbox assembly a lot easier in my mind.
acousticco Posted - 11/03/2013 : 11:34:47 AM
Not yet, still waiting on the taps. I've had the pieces laid out and looked through the instructions a few times though...

-Cody
Geezer Posted - 11/03/2013 : 09:14:04 AM
Any updates yet?
Lurking......
acousticco Posted - 10/28/2013 : 9:34:06 PM
Thanks Rod,

I'll hopefully be starting soon but am still waiting on the taps...

-Cody
RodH Posted - 10/26/2013 : 5:45:52 PM
Cody,
I will follow your build with intrest.
acousticco Posted - 10/26/2013 : 11:31:16 AM
Thanks Gents!

I have some taps on order, hopefully they will arrive shortly. I also bought some code 83 rail (all they had at my LHS) and a wye switch to hack into a little 'fork' style test track/mini layout. Good times!

-Cody
Frederic Testard Posted - 10/26/2013 : 06:42:35 AM
You search fast, Bill...
Here is the NWSL page with their metric taps and drills : http://shop.osorail.com/category.sc?categoryId=25
Geezer Posted - 10/26/2013 : 05:48:14 AM
Try here Cody -

http://www.jimorrisco.com/?gclid=CNnDr_ebtLoCFZSk4AoddA4A8Q

I hope that works.....
neat kit!!!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000