Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 306 ]  [ Total: 308 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ensign Posted - 09/08/2013 : 6:17:07 PM
Hi everyone,for those of you that have been following my last couple of builds,know that I've been paying tribute to certain members here at RRline forums,that help make this place great!
And I thought it would be kinda cool,if I could put all of those tribute builds into one place.
And what I've come up with is a place called "Magoun Pier" Named after our friend from Michigan, Pete Magoun(Orionvp17)
Pete has always been a great help & very encouraging to me,especially when it comes to building my ship models.
So I thought I would name this pier after Pete,to thank him for that support given.
This also happens to be the place where my layout dreams will finally start to come true.
I can think of no better place to start,then where rails meet the water.
This first section of my layout will also be made portable.Infact if I wasn't naming this pier after Pete,I think Port Able would have made a fun name.
This portable section of my layout beginings will roughly measure 3'feet by 6'feet.
But enough of that stuff,I want to show you the Magoun Pier terminal building now.

It's basically made up from 3 Walthers Municipal pier warehouse kits combined together.
I wanted something to compete in size with the R.A.SANTOS which will be tied up too Magoun Pier.
This terminal building measures 12"inches wide by 43" long so it does the job.

posting this now to allow for editing.

Greg Shinnie
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ensign Posted - 06/18/2020 : 09:33:53 AM
Jerrman, thank you for your very very kind words!
I recognize your name from another model railroad forum that you have also posted on there.
I'm glad that you enjoyed going through this entire Magoun pier thread, and I hope it inspires you or anyone else that enjoys waterfront scenes to try and incorporate one, big or small into your layouts.
Thanks again!

Greg
jerrman Posted - 06/18/2020 : 06:25:47 AM
Greg, my lockdown in Spain and subsequent easing to a quasi-normal has, not surprisingly, given me a lot of internet time so, Iíve just finished all 76 pages of this build. Iíve seen a lot of builds (Iím sort of old) and Iím at a loss for words. Besides, whatever I could say probably wouldnít add anything to the dozens and dozens of compliments. I could put it in ALL CAPS to reinforce the intensity of my words. Or, I could just say, ďthank youĒ for taking the time to post every step of this amazing modeling journey. It felt like being immersed in a long novel which you donít want to end. A truly fantastic accomplishment.
railandsail Posted - 06/01/2020 : 8:01:23 PM
Thank you Bill, I'll have a look thru that tomorrow
Bill Gill Posted - 05/31/2020 : 4:54:42 PM
Brian, Just to add a few options to Greg's really good technique,
here's a link to a thread about water, how it looks and ways to madel it:
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52751&whichpage=1
Ensign Posted - 05/31/2020 : 1:48:39 PM
Hi Brian, here's the link to how I did my water for Magoun pier.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40790&whichpage=53

I wanted my water to show some depth to it, that's why I had to use a few boxes of "Magic Water".
You could just eliminate the "Magic Water" and paint your surface the colour of water that you desire, and then brush on the Gloss super heavy gel medium over that paint and end up with something looking very close to what I did here.

Greg
railandsail Posted - 05/31/2020 : 12:07:29 PM
Water Creation ?

I remember reading about your pretty 'involved' method to obtain reflective water,...several different layers of some pretty expensive materials. (BTW, what pages was that on? ,I don't know how to do and internal search)

My question: I remember it was quite a job, and costly materials you utilized. I'm wondering if the 'base coat' could have been made using reflective mylar??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018VI76JA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2

BTW, I located another partial kit that has a front face piece...YEAH.
And I've decided to use it on my kit/layout plan
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/38264?page=6
Ensign Posted - 05/24/2020 : 9:08:02 PM
Brian, I thank you again for your kind words, and for your interest in Magoun pier.
The whole scene measures 40 1/2" inches wide by 77" inches long.
If you were to cut Magoun pier in half lengthwise, so that your only modeling one side of the pier.
It would easily all fit on a less than 2' foot wide shelf.
So you could put a dividing wall on you peninsula and model 2 different scenes on either side.
Half of it being a pier scene like mine, and the other half a railroad ferry scene.

Greg
railandsail Posted - 05/23/2020 : 12:44:50 PM
Wishful Thinking

I've spent a good couple of hours looking back thru this marvelous creation of the Magoun Pier scene.

It makes me wish I had found this discussion, and the many photos while I was still in the preliminary stages of my planning a track plan for my peninsula. I might have tried to devote the entire end of my peninsula to a wharf scene like this.

But when I went out to my layout and took another look, I realized I still did not have enough width on the end of my peninsula to get that scene in,..at least not so with the vessels there...oh well, wishful thinking.

BTW, Greg, what is the total width of the pier scene, from the outside of the ships on either side of the pier.
railandsail Posted - 05/23/2020 : 10:12:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Here is how the first gulls look, after they landed at the pier.
I also painted the wire beneath yellow to look more like their legs.
And Bob, lots more poop has been added to give it a more authentic look.

Greg

Just reading back thru this great subject thread and modeling job. The seagull pooping is just great detail !!
tloc Posted - 01/03/2020 : 2:09:15 PM
Greg

This was the first thread I started following when I joined the forum, thanks for sharing.

TomO
Ensign Posted - 01/03/2020 : 11:38:08 AM
Thanks! Neil & Tom, for your posts & comments.

Neil, nice to hear from you! Feel free to walk around and check out the details anytime you like.

Tom, you remind me just how quickly time flies.
I can't believe it's been 7 years already, from when I first started this project.

Greg
tloc Posted - 01/03/2020 : 09:58:23 AM
Greg since 2013 this thread has been an excellent example of your skills and research for this project. I bet you never thought when starting that Pete would become President? A great tribute to him as a friend and truly a testament to your modeling and creativity.

TomO
Neil M Posted - 01/03/2020 : 01:21:03 AM
I haven't had a look in this thread in a wee while but the photos over the last few pages are excellent. I really like your street details.
Ensign Posted - 01/01/2020 : 11:46:10 AM
Hi Brian, sorry I used all three of those fronts.
2 of them as you know on my kitbashed terminal building.
My Scottish heritage would not allow me to waste this 3rd. front
So I cut up the 3rd. one and made it into this little guardhouse for my pier.

Greg
railandsail Posted - 01/01/2020 : 10:08:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

And I am currently kitbashing 3 Walther's Municipal Pier warehouses together for my Magoun Pier display.
It will be about 43" inches long when completed.
The 2 standing sections will be each end of this warehouse,and the walls laying flat will be the side walls.

Greg Shinnie

At first I did not take notice that you used the front facade of that building for BOTH ends. Then I ran across this posting that you utilized 3 walthers kits to build your fantastic kitbash.

My question is do you still have another front face?....possible for sale??

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000