Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Par Four Challenge - Jan2013

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
UKGuy Posted - 01/15/2013 : 10:50:02 AM
Nope the challenge is NOT to build a scale golf course.

"Par 4" refers to the four parameters of the challenge.

Your finished model must include the following:

1) Build a fully scenicked scene no bigger than (scale) 30' x 30' (or 900sqft)

2) The scene must contain some form of wooden construction.

3) The scene must contain some form of masonary

4) the scene must contain some form of modelled water.

Other elements can be included.
Start date: Jan 15
Time to complete: 2 months (March 15}

This thread is a place to post all of your updates on challenge progress and comments, and of course lots of pictures !!

I'm sure this challenge will produce alot of creative thinking and great modelling and I am looking forward to the participation of many members.

So, lets get started and have some fun !!

Karl.A

A separate thread for the finished models to be displayed will be opened later today.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BigLars Posted - 03/20/2013 : 9:29:39 PM
Rick,
I will count the wet look as finished if you ignore the fact that my build had all of the requirements yet lacked my intended amount of detail.
Great work all. I enjoyed what I could see while recovering from this darn concussion.
Larry
Pennman Posted - 03/20/2013 : 9:02:32 PM
To: Par Four challange project: Finishers

Now that our challange projects have been completed, what's next?

I have been approached by a good friend who is the Managing Editor of an online Model Building community, who has asked me if I would like my Par Four challange project featured on his site. The name of the site is Kit Maker Network, for any of you who have never heard of it. If you, who have finished your challange projects, would like to also have your project featured on the site, please Email or PM me, and I will provide you with the email of one of the staff members. He didn't want the "world" to know his email address, and anyone who wishes to be included, can contact him individually. All he is asking for are some pictures of your project and a small paragraph explaining what you built, and a few words on its construction.

Since we are all in for sharing our expertise, I think this is a good way to show others what we propose to do, and what we accomplish.

The link for my project and the site is:

http://railroadmodeling.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=4794

Rich
masonamerican Posted - 03/16/2013 : 7:49:48 PM
-Rich B, a wonderful little scene and well worth waiting for. It conjures up images on how the rest of the harbour and town behind it looks. Well done! I hope its ok if I keep some pictures of it for future reference!.
-Mark, that is a lot of modelling packed in a small space. The chimney looks great. We have a heating facility nearby my work with a huge chimney and it is exactly as rusted as yours.
-Phil, in a positive sense that trailer sure looks derelict. As the rest of the scene
-Mike, that diorama sure came together in a hurry but nevertheless looks great!
-Rick, the diorama looks great, especially the masonry!
-Louis, beautiful lighthouse and named well!
-David, beautiful water tower! Love the rust on the water spout! And now I was reminded on what I had missed and still has missed adding. The chain to pull the spout down with
-Clif, your bridge and road looks fantastic!

If I have missed anyone great work to you too
Well done everyone! I hope to participate again next year.
Now over to something completely different......

Håkan
R.BOUDREAUX Posted - 03/16/2013 : 11:14:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mecrr
[br Rich, beautiful little building, BTW, did I miss your explanation for the back wall’s wallpaper look?

David[/size=4]

David,

I did explain the wallpaper wall, but if you missed it, the explanation was I had to tear down the adjacent building to get my build in the 30' x 30' parameters.

Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Rich
Pennman Posted - 03/16/2013 : 08:17:24 AM
[quote]Originally posted by mecrr

Rich, beautiful little building, BTW, did I miss your explanation for the back wall’s wallpaper look?

David,

The back wall wallpaper look was a printed brick sheet by Faller. I dusted it with weathering powder and sprayed it with dullcoat.
I wanted to use a wal made of hydrocal, but there wasn't enough room as I was at the edge of the base already.

Rich

George D Posted - 03/16/2013 : 08:12:05 AM
Looking at the final pictures and they are very impressive. I've enjoyed watching everyone's project develop and I've learned a lot from you guys.

David, That's a great looking water tower. It looks like an exact fit between the tracks and the edge of the layout.

Mark, I really like the variety of textures and lines you squeezed into the 900 sq feet.

Daniel, great detail work in a small scale.

Phil, your trailer and all the trash captures the look of a run down urban scene. It was interesting to see how you "damaged" the trailer.

Clif, I really like your work on the abutments.

George
Carrie Creek Posted - 03/16/2013 : 12:30:24 AM
Well, here are the final pictures I posted in the final post thread. Reposted them here if someone whats to say anything, good or bad.
To all who have made comments on this I thank you all for you ongoing support and push.

Glen, if this gave you ideas, great, go for them.

wished that I had a static grass app. taller grass would have been better. Didn't get any paper trash made either.
Foot print is 40'X22.5' HO scale.
tree was made from copper wire covered with Dap wallboard joint compound and then sprayed with this. Got a dusting of WS fine turf blend when doing the ground cover.

found a view that just shows the water ripples running down the wall.

here is a close up of the trailer with the hobo waiting out the rain storm.

Great fun doing this build.

Glen Haasdyk Posted - 03/15/2013 : 11:42:54 PM
Everyone has done a great job.
Phil, your trailer has given me some ideas.
Rick, If they're going to let mt pine tree overgrowth slide, I can definetly see water on yours!
Rick, your building is amazing, I too like the 'next-door building treatment
David, your water tower turned out very nice, excellent coloring
Wabashbanks, It's hard to believe that's N scale
wabashbanks Posted - 03/15/2013 : 11:00:55 PM
I thought I would explain this picture on this thread. As I was painting this guy I didn't get the top sprue part cleaned up and I didn't realize it until paint was being applied. I mixed up a bit of a ruddy color for flesh because I was too lazy to get up and get the right color paint. When I had applied it I thought WOAH, this guy makes a great Native American. Since my railroad is set at the time frame where some Native Americans had fully embraced European dress and added their own touched I painted him with a feather in his hair, complete with horse hair tuft, and a bright red armband. I thought it made for a much more interesting scene. I believe when all is said and done the station will across the track from this shack and the guy saw the pump and wanted a cool drink. As you can tell by the grass and the dust this place is a bit dry. Could have been the greener grass that caught his attention.
The photo is a bit odd looking because the only way I could get the shot to show everything was through my magnifier visor...not a fun shot to get!

wabashbanks Posted - 03/15/2013 : 10:49:05 PM
That is a great looking tower!! The 'wet look' was a popular choice this time around!
mecrr Posted - 03/15/2013 : 8:26:14 PM
Mike, such a great scene
Louis, the lighthouse is incredible and the detail makes me want to know what the lighthouse keeper is looking for and the light, so amazing.
Daniel – sweet little shack
Rich, beautiful little building, BTW, did I miss your explanation for the back wall’s wallpaper look?
Phil, never imagined that this would wind up looking so great
Mark, really like your brickwork (nice water tower too)
Rick, already been mentioned, but outstanding stone work)

Well, water application is dry (water was accomplished with the wet look approach, as the old water tower pipe drips!) Photos lack a depth of field, but once I learn to work the SLR Canon camera that arrived yesterday (it is still in the box), wilt rectify. I could not get a head on shot from the front, as there is no room between backdrop and tower. The tower meets the 900 sq. ft.; just discount the layout tracks that are in front and 5’ to either side. Back is at the edge of the layout.

Just turned the lights off in the train room as I am exhausted and need a break away from trains and buildings.

David

wabashbanks Posted - 03/15/2013 : 3:26:51 PM
Looks good! You're not the first to make a 'wet look' our modeled water component!
Rick Posted - 03/15/2013 : 3:15:18 PM
Congratulations to everyone that finished.
An excellent job by everyone.

I'm going to bend the rules just a bit so I can call my project completed.

Let's check the rules:

The scene must contain some form of masonry. Check

The scene must contain some form of wooden construction. It does, but not what I had originally intended. I had wanted to make a fence with wood posts and wire. Ran out of time to make that, so the wooden porch will have to suffice for now. I will build fence eventually.

Build a fully scenicked scene no bigger than (scale) 30' x 30' (or 900sqft) I've complied with the size and I did put down a layer of dirt and sprinkled some ground foam about. I had intended on making a static grass applicator and using it for this project. Again, I ran out of time, but I will add that at some time in the future.

The scene must contain some form of modelled water. OK, here's where I'm really going to bend the rules and ask for some leniency from the judges. Right now the glue isn't completely dry yet so it looks like it rained and the ground hasn't dried completely. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but in front of the building there are a couple of tire ruts. The plan is to add some mud puddles there.

Carrie Creek Posted - 03/15/2013 : 2:40:23 PM
As I stated at the beginning, I was going for a rainy day look with rain falling. Since I couldn't get the look I wanted changed to after the rain. So, my water is puddles and the water running down the walls. I see the water effect on the walls but my camera will not pick it up.
So, while things are drying again here are some pics to tide you all over. I think I can really get this done on time.

pic of the walls but the water running down doesn't show

and here is the trailer for those who are looking forward to it. probaly ruined now

and some trash wood in the doorway.

I can I guess call this finished but need to add a bunch of trash in the grass. bottles, glass shards. the tires, more broken up wood from the old dock. and etc.

more later,
UKGuy Posted - 03/15/2013 : 11:57:58 AM
Well, as I started this thing I guess I had better come up with something, quick...

Modelling time has been low on my list lately but I'll see what I can come up with at the bench today.

Time for some coffee to stimulate the cells....

Back shortly.

Karl.A

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000