Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: CNR 6218 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark_dalrymple Posted - 02/25/2011 : 4:22:03 PM
Hi all.

I will, in weeks to come, carry on with this module, but for now, just wanted to let everyone know I was safe. At present, we still have no internet, so can only reply every few days when out and about.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that myself and all that i know (so far) are all OK after Christchurch's 6.3 earthquake. Although much small than our september 7.1, this earthquake (on a newly discovered fault line I believe) was much closer to the city and far shallower. it caused substantial damage in the central city ( including the total destruction of two multi story buildings) and also many of the burbs. The death toll last I heard was 113, but this is expected to rise to over 200. Many of the older buildings were OK or saveable after our sept earthquake, but are now piles of rubble.

On a positive note, Tellynott lives on, with some repairable damage. I will post pics of the Tellynott damage when we have internet back on at home, and an update.

Its a good day to be alive.

Cheers, Mark.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/26/2019 : 5:59:17 PM
The buildings all look terrific, Mark. I particularly like the weathered brick.

Mike
TRAINS1941 Posted - 12/26/2019 : 4:13:37 PM
Some nice modeling to finish the year. Great work.
Bill Gill Posted - 12/26/2019 : 2:02:08 PM
Good work on the windows and fire escapes, Mark. Those two building look ready to go.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 12/25/2019 : 4:42:21 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for your great comments and continued interest, Greg and Rich!

Well - a bit of progress. Firstly, after weeks of strong winds, I finally had friends organised to help with the shed on a still morning. I finished assembling my flat pack shed on a Saturday in the barn and at 8.30am on Sunday morning, it was lifted onto the back of my trailer and driven around the corner to the concrete slab I had poured. By 10am it was bolted to the slab and two sides were screwed to rails I had attached (packed out so they were nice and straight) to the dog run fencing. By 2pm the doors were on and everything was finished. The rest of the afternoon was spent shuffling things from place to place - the upshot being that I now have another 100' squared of layout space ready for the next stage after Easter. I also have about 80m of dressed 90mmx20mm fillet stacked and stropped keeping it nice and straight and true while it dries. That night the winds picked up to near gale force so I was pleased to find it still in position the next morning (sheds are know for arriving unannounced on the neighbours front lawn around here!).

The 'gap diorama' has slowly been progressing as well. Below you can see windows painted, weathered, glazed and installed in two of the structures along with fire escape completed.

I've also started on the design of one more diorama for the front of the layout next to the yard - right as you walk in the door.

More soon - and merry Christmas - cheers, Mark.
Pennman Posted - 12/11/2019 : 7:31:00 PM
Cityscapes are a lot of work, but it appears you're doing a fine job with it Mark. Cheers!

Rich
Ensign Posted - 12/11/2019 : 12:08:51 PM
Mark, your newest elevator on that building further lifts your already elevated layout to even greater heights.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie
mark_dalrymple Posted - 12/11/2019 : 11:45:46 AM
Thanks Carl and Brian!

I'm pleased you like it, Carl.

Brian - welcome to my miniature world! Thanks for the link on your other forum.

I'll add a few more picks of progress this weekend. Being summer here there are many, many outdoor projects and maintenance that is taking priority at the moment! Having five acres of garden is both a blessing and a curse! Speaking of gardens - its gone 5.30am and I need to get to it!

Cheers, Mark.
railandsail Posted - 12/11/2019 : 09:56:28 AM
Wow, Wow, Wow
I was so impressed with your work, and your photo presentation here (that I just happened across this morning, I had to make a link to it over on another forum I participate in quite regularly.

I'll be back to try and read through this rather long subject thread

Thanks, Brian
Carl B Posted - 11/29/2019 : 7:19:44 PM
Cool building Mark!

I like the chalk effect on the chimney too.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/29/2019 : 6:47:07 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks Frank and Jerry.

Well, I've been working on the fright elevator shaft and head house. As you can see I have clad the head house in Campbells corrugated iron with aluminium foil flashings. I added strip plastic to the shaft to suggest seamed metal joints.

Here is a shot of the corrugated iron and flashing work. Attached using double sided tape.

Here is a shot of the overall structure. I cut the cool design from 0.4mm sheet styrene and painted it white (rather than the blue on the prototype) so that it would stand out a bit more.

A close up from the front.

And one on an angle.

A few more things to add yet.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 11/28/2019 : 9:27:56 PM
That is really cool. Great job and how to!!
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/28/2019 : 6:48:10 PM

Thumbs up to your mortar job.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/28/2019 : 4:58:59 PM
Hi again.

Firstly here is a picture of the equipment I use, I fine brush to remove excess chalk - especially around details on brick walls, a larger soft brush for working the chalk into the mortar joints, fingers (not shown) to run across the brick work and use the natural oils to help fix in place, breath (also not shown) to gently remove excess chalk, a builders knife to scrap along the piece of chalk to create dust, and chalks.

Here I am after using my knife to apply chalk dust directly to the stack.

Here is the stack after the chalk has been worked in with the soft brush.

And here it is after having the finger and breath treatment. You have to keep changing fingers (and thumbs) during this procedure as it quickly seems to deplete your hands of oils. Once happy I fix with a pastel/ pencil fixative from a spray can.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/28/2019 : 4:44:28 PM
Hi guys.

Well - yesterday I got the stack painted and grouted so thought I'd better give a photo explanation as promised!

Firstly the stack was checked for any burrs etc, then washed with dish washing liquid and warm water, rinsed and dried. I then gave it a coat of grey automotive primer and set it aside to cure.

Here is the stack getting a coat of arcylic. This one was called 'bark'. I don't use any specific brand.

Mars black was then randomly blobbed on while the bark is still wet. Same sponge.

I then go about smearing the colours together into a nice swirly mess.

Once I'm happy with my mess I usually tone things down again by adding a bit more base colour in places. Once dry I then hand pick out a few individual bricks with a mixture of black and base colour.

Here is the piece of sponge I used for painting. Its called an artist sponge and is aparently made from wool.

More in a sec, cheers, Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/18/2019 : 02:04:10 AM
Thanks for keeping up with those moves, Frank! It sounds like a busy and fun fill weekend You've had!

I'm torn a bit in my ideas at the end of the 'L'. I have some fantastic photos of canneries, although mostly from the US, that I think would work well. Some sort of reworking of Monterey's cannery row would look awesome along the front tumbling down into the water. This would also work in with the abundant supply of fish in Jacksons Bay and also the whitebait cannery that was built there. Then there is the idea for a gas works which has been tumbling around in my head for years. I have a wonderful book called requiem for a gas works which is based on Christchurch's gas works, but I also have some good photos from Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland and other places in NZ (along with some photos of Johannesburg's gas works - wow! That's one cool looking complex!) There are so many cool elements that could be modeled with a gas works - all those pipes and tanks and vats... Maybe there will be room for both?

Cheers, Mark.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000