Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: unclebug ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building Flats for the Big Horn and Moose Lake RR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
visman48 Posted - 11/13/2010 : 09:04:31 AM
Good Morning all,
As promised I thought I would wonder thru the flat building or building flats that I am doing. The premise here is to have the back of the buildings, cabins or houses, because they didn't face the RR and in reality the RR was out the back door. I didn't have enough space to do full buildings, but enough to do thin to thickish buildings. I wanted as much detail as I could because they are still relatively close to the viewer.

In my case I am using castings that I have or have purchased, rather than spend huge amounts of time scratch building. However as you see the volume of detail and the look and feel is going to be that of a scratch built building.

Les
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CieloVistaRy Posted - 04/02/2012 : 11:40:25 AM
And as always, post plenty of pics.
Rick Posted - 04/01/2012 : 3:58:17 PM
"I guess as long at the longest engine can get in to get what it needs then position or line up doesnt matter?" This sounds right to me.
I'm sure the big standard gauge RR's had a thick book of SOP's to follow in regards to shops and service areas but the backwoods guys we try to emulate most likely winged it most of the time.
visman48 Posted - 04/01/2012 : 3:16:24 PM
Rick,
Mine are on the shelf too, I am trying to make up my mine if I am building or collecting...

So I am still working on trying to figure RR practice how these structures would be lined up. I guess as long at the longest engine can get in to get what it needs then position or line up doesnt matter?

I decided I would be putting gas pumps at the engine house, the RR crew area and maybe here too...but its a small structure so not to worry.

Les
Rick Posted - 04/01/2012 : 2:49:39 PM
Les, I have those Stoney Creek Models on the shelf too and the SierraWest ones two.
Actually, I already built a few.
I'm sure I'll get lots of good ideas seeing how you use and position them.
visman48 Posted - 04/01/2012 : 2:44:00 PM
Frederic et al,
So today to help me understand what I need to do, I went thru the "proposed" kits/services to see what kind of footprints I would have to deal with. I think maybe the next step will be cutting cardboard out to see where they might set and how much room I have and don't have.

so...
Sand house is 7"x4" make from kit or scratch.
Oil is 6"x3" make from kit or scratch from plans
Coal (bucket style)could be as small as 6 1/2" x 4" scratch with open air metal roof.
Water tank wood or metal 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" work from kit or scratch from plans
Work-combine 9"x3" Use portion of kit or find bachman combine and modify.
Schnebly 5" x 10" use kit
Blacksmith shop 6 1/2" x 7 1/2" use kit or scratch from plans
Pump house is about 3"x3"

I believe I need a section house for food and crew comforts...I would put this over by the water.

Still up in air, to have structures like the Sierra west ones, they are small and may fit, but will need some sort of storage and junk placement.

Les
Frederic Testard Posted - 04/01/2012 : 11:38:21 AM
This is a nicely sized new space for a rr facility, Les. Lots of room for the various structures required there, and it should still not be overcrowded.
visman48 Posted - 04/01/2012 : 11:18:14 AM
Tom
Thanks the engine house has yet to be painted or stained. I am thinking I will airbrush the first layer of light brown stain. Then work the colors the individual boards. The reason I havent finished the engine house was to get the lights in...a time thing for those of us still working...

Les
andykins Posted - 04/01/2012 : 11:17:02 AM
good to see you back on the layout les! oh how i (and i think everyone) craves seeing your work :)

nice choice of buildings too
Tommatthews Posted - 04/01/2012 : 10:29:33 AM
Les,

Nice selection of buildings. The coffee stir sticks have worked out well giving a nice variation in color.
visman48 Posted - 04/01/2012 : 09:51:35 AM
Arthur,
Thanks they are good, the ones pictured here are suggestions to me, I know I need to have some of these services, but there are options. Instead of a wooden water tank I can make one that is metal. The sand house I have is smaller than some, or I can scratch build one.

The mining supply will become a materials for the RR its a small building. The biggest building is the machine shop. So I can place buildings in a logical manner along the 46" part of the track, given the last 6" is un usable except for junk on the ground.

I gained ground where I selected to put the pump house..its small...its a BTS model that I will scratch build. There is room there too.

My thoughts here is that the RR would have a "section" house to feed the crews and maybe even house them.

I can forgo the machine shop and give that way to the Loco barn.

I sure appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas, those buildings are just thoughts right now.

Les
CieloVistaRy Posted - 04/01/2012 : 09:35:22 AM
Les I love your taste in structures. This is going to be such an interesting scene that you can look at for a long time and not get tired of it.
Geezer Posted - 04/01/2012 : 06:07:54 AM
Looks interesting Les....glad to see some action
again on the BH&ML rr!!Funny, I have oil conversions
on some loco's and never gave it a thought on service!
I'll be following along.
visman48 Posted - 03/31/2012 : 7:51:13 PM
Ron
This is just the kind of feedback I am looking for. I don't intend or think I need it all there, but it would be logical to have water, and coal (thinking about Geez's coal tower) and I can easily just do a pump for fuel and something like that for oil.

I would be interested in your thoughts and drawing.

Les
elwoodblues Posted - 03/31/2012 : 7:25:53 PM
Les, don't know if you have the room, but I see the water tower, sand tower, oil/gas (?) tower going behind the second track to the engine house. As for the interior area you could put the Sierra West buildings along the track. You might want to think about adding a siding from the track at the bottom of the area to add the building in the upper right hand corner.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll make a sketch.
visman48 Posted - 03/31/2012 : 6:15:39 PM
All,
The RR has acquired new space from the lumber mill that burnt to the ground (no an uncommon issue)to build a new, weathered, delapted services facility. A set of buildings need to be constructed, I have plans to scratch build as well as kits shown here, or I can scratch build off the plans. Not shown is a coaling facility. Lots of space for junk piles. I plan on having a road into that area from the river.

As you can see in the back is a engine house and another shop facility flat.

The water area provides water via the pump house, as well as the log pond.

The new mill flat will be located to the left of this area, with the haul over the track. A Red Oak type garage and ladies of the night building is planned for the corner.

I am looking for thoughts and ideas...such as the line up of these, or other buildings I might consider.

Les

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000