|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 05/08/2010 : 2:56:24 PM
As you might have noticed, per my previous post on the DCC forum, I have been working on my MDC shay. I thought that I would share the things that I have done to it.
Here is a pic of it as bought and running on DC:
Shortly after getting the DCC system I installed a z121 decoder and after listening to my brother's sound in his B'shay I bought a MRC sound unit and started installing it. I needed more space so I raised the top of the bunker 3/16"
While I did this I replaced the MDC gears with NWSL stuff. After the trials and troubles getting this to run right and getting the lights to look the way I wanted I am ready to move on to more detailing.
|15 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 01/12/2012 : 6:46:06 PM
Cameron, Thanks for the atta boy.
As for what I did on the gears of the outside line shaft, I very gently, with my smallest round file, rounded off the bottom between the teeth. You will not need much, so don't over do.
Also, as mentioned in the MDC Shay Handbook, it work better if only one (1) of the gears is driving the shaft instead of all 4. The others just freewheel.
On the bull gear I noticed (finally) that if the 2 screws that hold the housing to the frame are too tight it causes the housing to deform and pinch the idler gear.
I intially was using a MRC decoder but it went bad. They do not have a good reputation. I kept that speaker as it was aready installed and installed a Micro Tsunami.
Here is a youtube of it running on the Topeka KS LHS "Hobby Depot" store layout.
Wish you luck on getting yours to run.
Link to CCLC construction thread:
||Posted - 01/10/2012 : 10:16:28 AM
Nicely done shay. Have one of these on my work bench. Would love to hear more on what you did on the gears and bull-gear.
You mentioned a MDC DCC Decoder, which one did you use and what speaker? Sizing is always hard for me.
||Posted - 01/01/2012 : 12:42:32 AM
Thanks, for the nice words.Roy. Glad that you like the firebox idea, was a duh momment also. Go ahead and use it I don't have any plans just winged it. If you need some measurements I could lift some off. I just worked off of the orginal box side and added a piece of 1/16" H beam to the bottom.
||Posted - 12/31/2011 : 8:24:14 PM
That is one beautiful engine, Phil. I really like your idea for the fire box, it gave me another Duh! moment. I've also rebuilt one of these and it runs like a charm. I will be adding the fire box when it goes through its next maintenance check. Thanks for the photos.
||Posted - 12/17/2011 : 3:19:03 PM
Wow, 7 months gone, how time flies.
Finally have the Tsunami installed and some basic programing done. Need to slow it down as it runs too fast on 1st step.
To slow it down do I need to lower the start voltage? I do need to change the acceleration value as it jumps starts.
I don't have any computer interface and wouldn't know how to use it anyway. So all programing will have to be done thru the program track. Have the booster.
||Posted - 05/20/2011 : 10:52:07 AM
Frederic, Sorry about responding to your post so late, Thanks for the thumbs up.
I had to remove the MRC decoder as one of the wires had pulled off of the decoder. Am installing a micro-Tsunami. Brother Tom and I have bought a Soundtraxx booster together and after he is done with it will bring home and then I'll be able to program this one.
||Posted - 04/03/2011 : 08:49:35 AM
I had missed the final shots and the award announcement, Phil. Congrats!
||Posted - 04/03/2011 : 07:32:02 AM
Beautiful job on the rebuild, Phil. Congrats on the 1st Place award, too.
||Posted - 04/03/2011 : 03:01:30 AM
have you had any trouble with it leaning??
||Posted - 02/14/2011 : 6:25:38 PM
Well done on coming first, even if there was a very good bet that you'd be in the top two
||Posted - 02/14/2011 : 1:52:17 PM
Michael, Thanks for your kind words and for the picyure of your 2-truck B'man shay. I will tell my brother (Mainframer) to get in touch as he has been thinking about doing the same.
Oliver, Thanks and yea they do stand out a bit don't they.
Neil, again, thanks and I will when I get the stuff.
This did fetch me 1st place in the steam catagory at the show, but then as there was only the two of us it would have been either first place or last.
||Posted - 02/12/2011 : 4:23:14 PM
Nice job. I would add some brighter orange dusty rust highlights and some dust around to lower parts of the loco if you have a chance.
Michael, i think your 'bash of the Bachmann shay is lovely. I have thought about doing that (making it two truck) as well and think your one looks great
|Oliver W. Jr.
||Posted - 02/12/2011 : 09:52:31 AM
That's a REALLY nice job on a MDC Shay. My only criticism is the brass handrails next to the cab-- I would've toned them down along with the bell hanger, polished brass just seems a bit too fussy for a workhorse.
I've got one in HOn3 that I never finished since I switched back to standard gauge. If I ever get back to it, I hope it turns out that well!
||Posted - 02/12/2011 : 04:30:06 AM
Nice one Phil!!
Here is my converted B-mann Shay:
Itīs way nicer to run now
||Posted - 02/12/2011 : 12:22:52 AM
Final update on this shay.
Rich, Thanks for the kind words.
Wichita Kansas is having their annual train show this weekend (2-12-11 and 2-13-11) and I am planning on putting this in their model contest so here are the final pics.
The water bag I made from a piece of styrene .040"x~1/8"x3/16" with a fine strand of wire for the rope handle.
I had a hard time trying to get the dry transfer to stay in place for the front number board so ended up painting it instead.
Added a bottom step to the side steps so some one could actually reach them. Also as suggested I painted the bell bracket.
I will take pictures tomorrow at the show and post them in the crew lounge.
So, this is it for this one.
Next engine in line is my 3-truck Bachman shay sound install.