Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 A Three Year Summary........

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
UKGuy Posted - 12/22/2009 : 04:09:21 AM
12/22/06 http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6078&whichpage=6

quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Great pictures, amazing what can be done with a simple kit and the various outcomes.

I just built mine as per the instructions in the box about three or four weeks ago. This was my first wood kit and I enjoyed it greatly, so I went out and bought another Bar Mills kit which I am currently working on. I keep visiting the Sierra West site but its alot of money to ruin...

The water needs to be rippled and maybe some more details added but I couldnt resist taking a few pics as it was.

Karl.

Well, there it was, my very first post on my very first day of joining RRL, I had 'lurked' for a month (while building this BarMills kit) marveling at the exquisite modelling and drinking in all of the expert advice and friendly atmosphere I found all over the forums, so I joined. Three years ago today..

This was my first time building a kit from wood and all of the very daunting aspects that go along with that, a far cry from the 15miuntets it took to stick a DPM kit together. I was bored and tired of the Trains.com site where I had first started in modeling two years earlier, that forum was/is more centered on trains and frankly, I'm not, I like modeling and although model trains gives a great platform on which to do that, it's the modeling that interests me much more. Here at RRL I have always felt I found a much more comfortable and appealing 'home'.

So, by way of celebrating my three years of membership to this wonderful place, full of incredible people and also some pretty good modellers thrown in, I'm going to do a photo recap of my forum builds from then till now.

Intro.

There is a Chicken/Egg situation between Mike C and SierraWest, one led me to the other and then ultimately to the forum, but I cant remember which came first,I have a vague feeling Mike may have posted a SWSM pic at trains.com and I thought 'WOW' and then went and found Bretts site, or maybe I just found SWSM through an internet vague search for HO structures and came across Mikes incredible work in the gallery.

Either way I was hooked, Bretts models and webpages were incredible to me as were Mikes depictions of them, they both became my main inspirations to model and how I model.

The following pictures, in as close to chronological order as I can get them, cover my three years modelling on the forum. From my first 'craftsman kit' (shown above) and being so in awe and too scared to even open a SWSM kit box, to being asked by Brett to build the 'Tool Shed' for him here on the forum. A dream come true, a certain honor and the highest compliment I could receive from the person who started me off and was the inspiration for this wonderful modelling journey.
I am obviously thrilled and excited about working with Brett next year on his new products and developments and look forward to sharing them here (when possible) on the forum where I have received so much help, support and advice from an unrivaled group of amazing people. I would like to thank Walt (RustyStumps) who throughout has been extremely supportive, encouraging and generous, I am looking forward to and am very excited about doing some more work with Walt in 2010 and beyond.

So, thats how it started, here's what happened after that.......

I hope you enjoy the pics as much as I did building them.

Dates are the build start date, links are to the finished/latest picture page.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Third Posted - 08/13/2010 : 10:52:54 AM
Thank you for the recap I to am a new member. You are a master craftsman along with a large number of other members of the forum. The fantastic model work on this forum has totaly changed my ideas as to what a model should look like. While I have a layout to me the trains are of secondary importance visitors and my grandchildren like to see them run. I suppose I neglect the train part because my engines and cars are basically right out of the box with no weathering, but we only have so much time and I want to spend mine on the structures and scenery my true love. From reading the forum (some builds over and over) I have decided to rework a lot of my layout starting with a small costal fishing village that I have already moved from one of the train rooms to the other and I have started to purchase wood kits to replace the plastic ones.

My wife has already approved attending CSS2010 so that I can attend the clinics.

Now all I have to do is believe enough in myself to start on one of the wood structures and go for it.

Thanks again for showing your fantastic model work.

Jim
sgtbob Posted - 08/13/2010 : 09:20:09 AM
Karl,

I've only been a member of this forum for a few months but you already know that I think your work is fantastic. I want to join the large group who seem to be your fans. Thanks for posting this list of past strings and keep up the wonderful work.
Cheers,
Bob
Frederic Testard Posted - 12/25/2009 : 1:00:00 PM
I had forgotten the car and bridge, Karl. They both look very nice.
UKGuy Posted - 12/25/2009 : 02:09:05 AM
Thanks very much Karl and Gregg, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures it means alot.

quote:
Originally posted by GreggW

Hi Karl. That's it? Over 1000 days gone by and this is all we get? ........Gregg

Well there are a few I forgot to post Gregg.....

There was my first ever scratchbuilt rolling stock. (Thanks to Marty (labdad) for sharing his plans to start from)

And then there was an old decaying concrete bridge I built from a proto-pic (sorry, I forgot whose pic it was, AGAIN )

Proto bridge pic.........

My model bridge with the fake background....

Maybe I'll 'find' some more of my 'stuff' in time for the five year re-cap post.

Karl.A
GreggW Posted - 12/23/2009 : 5:00:11 PM
Hi Karl. That's it? Over 1000 days gone by and this is all we get? Been sitting on your thumbs or what? It's about time you got busy!!

Now, normally, one views their historic efforts at the time of retirement or as supporting evidence for obtaining professional recognition. I'm sure Mike C. will be sending your "certification" documents shortly. I can just imagine what this special recognition award would look like.

Seriously Karl, thanks for sharing your body of work in this fashion. I missed many of these and enjoyed seeing as a group. Look forward to seeing more.

Gregg
postalkarl Posted - 12/23/2009 : 4:43:55 PM
Hi Karl:

Thanks for all the great photos of your builds. I enjoyed them a lot.

Karl S.
UKGuy Posted - 12/23/2009 : 2:10:37 PM
Thank you again for the encouraging replies, they are very appreciated and help to make the forum very pleasurable and rewarding. I'm looking forward to sharing with and learning more from you all and improving my modeling in the future.

Karl.A
ETinBH Posted - 12/23/2009 : 09:28:16 AM
Quite a body of work - congrats
jknapp Posted - 12/23/2009 : 09:03:13 AM
Karl.....I can only reiterate what's been said! Excellent work. You can see your modeling just get better and better. You've definitely become one of my favorite modelers to follow. Keep on posting!!!
Bbags Posted - 12/22/2009 : 8:55:47 PM
Karl,
Hard to believe it has been 3 years since your first post.
I remember the first model well and I also remember reading your construction threads for the other models you have posted.

Hard to pick a favorite but if pressed I would go with Shelby's since this is my favorite Sierra West structure and seeing it done in a larger scale was just great.

I also thank you for all the useful information you have posted in your threads about the different techniques you have used to achieve your results.

In today's world where everyone seems to have a DVD for sale explaining modeling techniques it is nice to see someone who will explain what they are doing at no charge.
dnhman Posted - 12/22/2009 : 7:48:45 PM
Awesume review Karl, Thanks for posting some great looking models,,
Joe
Frederic Testard Posted - 12/22/2009 : 7:48:44 PM
quote:
and I also spent a month (half)building a layout....

I love this sentence, Karl.
UKGuy Posted - 12/22/2009 : 1:36:00 PM
oooops, I forgot 'Gillespies' (sorry Walt ) http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27195&whichpage=8

and I also spent a month (half)building a layout.... http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25273&whichpage=9

Now I think thats everything..... maybe

Thanks again.
Karl.A
RonH56 Posted - 12/22/2009 : 12:36:29 PM
Karl,
Thanks for summary, I wasn't here for the three yesars but it seems that I have seen all or most of those beautiful models along the way.
I joined RR-L for many of the same reasons you did; and I continually remind myself that if I do half as well as most of you guys I'm doing just fine.
Please keep up the awesome work.
LVN Posted - 12/22/2009 : 11:22:12 AM
Nice review Karl. I really enjoy following your builds. I am sure the next three years will be fantastic.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000