Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 236 ]  [ Total: 238 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The SP&S in Indiana

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jaynjay Posted - 10/11/2009 : 5:55:48 PM
After pondering this for quite a while; I have finally decided to post a thread about my layout. A little disclaimer, I am probably the slowest builder around. I procrastinate a lot.

What you are about to see started back in 2005. I was working quite a lot of overtime and did very little work on the layout for years; plus I only work on it for a few hours during the weekend.

A little side note, this is the first real layout that I have ever built, other than the traditional 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Enough apologizing for now; here is the story of my layout from the get-go complete with mistakes.

We moved to Indiana from Oregon in 2005 (Work transfer). This is the first house that we've owned that had a basement. So now I can build that layout that I've always wanted.

First the wood to finish the basement:

After considering everything that I wanted to do with the basement, my layout size shrank from the full basement to it's present size of 12 x 20 feet.

I've layed out my space, hung up furring strips and put drywall up for the backdrop

Joan's sewing room is on the other side of the layout room. I hung drywall on the back of her shelving for the backdrop

I've painted the backdrop sky blue and am ready for the framework.

Wrong! This is not the way to build a railroad. I needed solid walls for the train room. So I ripped everything out and put up 2x4s for the wall then insulated it to keep it toasty.

The floor was cold so I put in some carpeting. I figured that if I built a layout, the ceiling would be hard to install; so I put in lighting and AC/Heating ducts into the room.

I put up furring strips and installed tempered hardboard this time instead of drywall for the backdrop. I lost a little layout space in the corners because I curved the hardboard instead of butting it up to the walls. I think it will look a lot better.

I've painted the hardboard skyblue again and am back to where I was a few pictures back; but this time I started out on the right foot (I hope)

This process probably took 4 months. Remember, I work very slow.

I would appreciate anyone's comments about anything that you see wrong here. I might not be able to correct it though. Somethings are locked in stone.

Next comes the trackplan. At this point I really don't have a plan yet; although I leaning towards one in particular.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jaynjay Posted - 05/03/2020 : 1:47:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

John,

After I clean the dust off water I made using envirotex and stumped on liqutex gel, I give it a wash with Future floor polish, and the sheen is back. Just a thought.

Rich

I don't know if it's call Future anymore; but I believed I coated my brogans and dress shoes under my bunk in the USAF with Future during the early 60's. My dress blue bill was coated with varnish...If I did in fact use Hodge Podge; would the Floor wax (now called Pledge) still work?
Pennman Posted - 05/03/2020 : 11:11:01 AM
John,

After I clean the dust off water I made using envirotex and stumped on liqutex gel, I give it a wash with Future floor polish, and the sheen is back. Just a thought.

Rich
Frank Palmer Posted - 05/03/2020 : 10:06:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

It is a sour spot to look at; I will have to go out to Michaels (When we are allowed to leave our homes) and check out what they have. I think(?) I used Mod Podge in the process; but I forgot to take notes...too bad I can't find a WWII submarine to replace the tugboat with a 1:87 tugboat. I really like what Frank Palmer has done with his Das Boot scene:

John, I'd like to take credit for it but the diorama is the work of Dave Revelia. My contribution was the tug boat and the crane. The scene shown is a picture of the original Das Boot. Dave's is somewhat similar.
jaynjay Posted - 05/02/2020 : 3:08:49 PM
I just don't remember how I made the water. I do have a container of Mod Podge in my supplies; but don't remember what I used it for. Embarrassed to say; this is what I've let it become:

You can see how my adding spider webs to the crane turned out. Hard time keeping focused on one project; before I change to the next

desertdrover Posted - 05/02/2020 : 12:58:46 PM
John if you used Mod Podge, than you must of used Dave Frary's method back then. He has a DVD about making waterways, and that was one of the methods. He also showed how to clean it up and re-mod Podge over it returning the luster.
Like James, I've done all my waterways using Enviro-Tex lite, and just a brushing off, and wet cloth or even paper towels clean it up. The only down side with Enviro-Tex is it comes out dead flat, unless you take the time to work with it to get waves. The Mod-Podge makes up some great looking waves.
jbvb Posted - 05/02/2020 : 11:35:14 AM
Sorry to hear the water has deteriorated. What material(s) did you use? I've cleaned my Enviro-Tex river a hundred times, usually with a wet paper towel while setting up at a show.
jaynjay Posted - 05/02/2020 : 11:34:41 AM
It is a sour spot to look at; I will have to go out to Michaels (When we are allowed to leave our homes) and check out what they have. I think(?) I used Mod Podge in the process; but I forgot to take notes...too bad I can't find a WWII submarine to replace the tugboat with a 1:87 tugboat. I really like what Frank Palmer has done with his Das Boot scene:

desertdrover Posted - 05/02/2020 : 10:28:29 AM
That water scene is way to nice to let turn into dust John. My suggestion is give it a good vacuum, wash and wipe it the best you can, then re-surface with Liquitex Gloss or Matte Medium (your choice of what you prefer for shine) from Michaels or a place like Blick Art Materials. Just brush paint this stuff over the cleaned waterway, and it will come back to life for you.
jaynjay Posted - 05/02/2020 : 09:52:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

John, this is my first time finding your thread. I was wondering if you'd show and/or explain more about the water in the "daytime shot".

That was my first and only try a making water; and I think it turned out pretty good; so I really can't explain why it looks the way it does. My workbench is 3 feet to the left of that scene; and regretfully that area is quite dusty and my efforts at making water and wasted away on a layer of dust that I find almost impossible to remove and the luster has faded
Frank Palmer Posted - 05/01/2020 : 09:31:59 AM

John, this is my first time finding your thread. I was wondering if you'd show and/or explain more about the water in the "daytime shot".
TRAINS1941 Posted - 05/01/2020 : 08:19:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Nice trip thru history here. Saw someone was reading this in the ONLINE USERS section so thought I'd recheck John's place, still nice.

Ever finish where you tore out in your last post?

Same thing I saw Karl looking here. Any progress on this??
k9wrangler Posted - 05/01/2020 : 08:12:03 AM
Nice trip thru history here. Saw someone was reading this in the ONLINE USERS section so thought I'd recheck John's place, still nice.

Ever finish where you tore out in your last post?
quartergauger48 Posted - 03/01/2018 : 9:26:30 PM
Sometimes John, less is more'..I hope you keep going on this remodel'..Best of luck with it. If you get the way you want, the extra work will be worth it, and you'll enjoy it'..
jaynjay Posted - 03/01/2018 : 7:10:50 PM
When in doubt; rip it out. This section of my layout was driving me crazy...kind of lost interest in the layout because of the direction I was headed; so I tore out about 19 feet of length x the 3x4x5 blocks against the backdrop. I want structures; but all the track was restricting me...to be continued

MarkF Posted - 01/06/2018 : 12:35:37 PM
Its good to see this thread pop up again!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000