Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - O scale Tool Shed (#302)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
UKGuy Posted - 08/31/2009 : 08:54:09 AM

A short time ago Brett contacted me and asked if I would be interested in building a kit for him.... for me this was obviously a rhetorical question, I was thrilled and excited at the prospect.

Early last week I recieved the e:mail shipping confirmation from the SierraWest system. After checking the mail for only two days in eager anticipation 'it' finally arrived, I was already opening the box as I walked through the front door and by the time I had let the dog out and sat down at the patio table I was holding Brett's "O Scale Tool Shed" in my sweaty hands.

Two things came out of the box first, the spiral bound manual which I knew would be filled with everything I needed for a great model and of course the smaller box which contained the vast assortment of incredible details Brett is famous for.

Being outside I very carefully opened the detail box and just peeked inside so as not to drop anything on the deck and lose it. I then quickly read/skimmed through the manual and discovered several new ways to do things. Well written, consise and as suspected, everything I needed to know to build a great looking model.

Here are the other contents of the main box, several laser cut jigs, laser cut wall framing, plans and templates and of course the stripwood to mention the main items.

I carefully removed the tissue paper from the detail box (several tiny details were in the paper, so be careful) and spread them out on the bench, some of them I picked up and shook my head at the incredible detail included and of course the 'cleanliness' of the castings.

I am going to have fun trying out and using the methods in the manual to colour all of these, it may take some time though.....

Well there we have it, it looks like another great kit from Brett that is going to be alot of fun to build. Hopefully I'll get a start on construction this evening. I've already read the manual three times since Thursday so I am feeling ready to build my first SierraWest kit !!!

Karl.A
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
UncleJT Posted - 11/13/2010 : 1:23:36 PM
Had the pleasure of seeing Kevin's work @ CSS and must say I am very impressed. It was great to meet Brett finally as well, I came home with the Rigging Shed because Brett sold out of the Tool Sheds too quickly but I ordered some other kits as soon as I made it home.
UKGuy Posted - 11/11/2010 : 4:26:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

.........( but was to polite to say out aloud ! )....... NickO

Dang!! I almost spat my beer out when I read that.

Karl.A
NickO Posted - 11/11/2010 : 04:13:55 AM
Hi Kevin ,

Young Marty has put into words what I was thinking ( but was to polite to say out aloud ! ) and it is good to see that you realise what he says makes sense . I really look forward to seeing what you come up with next , because , for what it is worth and from what I have seen here , you have the potential to be one of the best modellers on this Forum .
All we need to do now is sort you out with some decent vegetation .

And remember , sometimes less is more .

NickO

I'll have you modelling in 1/35th scale yet .
onl26 Posted - 11/10/2010 : 9:47:38 PM
Thanks Marty
Yes, I was talking to Karl yesterday about the fact that it was just too crowded. I squeezed two kits on to a board that really wasn't big enough. As my first effort in O scale my main goal was to get used to and have fun with the bigger castings and wood that needed more attention than HO scale. In my next build I will definitely pay attention to a more practical setting of the workspace. Thank you my friend.
Kevin
lab-dad Posted - 11/10/2010 : 2:26:28 PM
Looks good Kevin, but many of the items seem to be placed in the way where workers would naturally travel.
Not to rain on your amazing work, but my observations;
For example the spools in front of the rigging sheds large door and almost blocking the covered work area.
Also all the stuff on the deck of the tool shed would make walking around it quite difficult.
Also with the two buildings side by side I would think a clear path between the two would be necessary.
Again, beautiful colors and textures excellent build!
-Marty
onl26 Posted - 11/09/2010 : 7:27:36 PM
I'll be OK Karl as I'm starting to feel a little better now. Thanks Frederic, I've been looking forward to your observations. I put both sheds on a board that is actually a little small for everything Brett includes in both kits. I keep looking at it and think it's a little too crowded with details but until I hire a crew of little guys to clean up, it will have to stay as is.
Kevin
Frederic Testard Posted - 11/09/2010 : 6:55:37 PM
Kevin, this scene is absolutely tremendous. The way you've scattered the details so they don't seem to have been displayed by a modeller but simply look in their natural position is outstanding. The color of the ground (and of everything else, by the way) is great too. What a pleasure to watch your model!
UKGuy Posted - 11/09/2010 : 6:54:44 PM
"Hair of the dog... " Dunno if that works for those 'soda-pop' things you drink though..... Berrigans, brannigans, something begining with 'B', I lost interest after I heard it had no 'A'

Might have been a bad olive....

Get well soon, like in the next 12 hrs.

Karl.
Martin Welberg Posted - 11/09/2010 : 6:52:38 PM
hope you get well in time Kevin, I'll keep my fingers crossed
onl26 Posted - 11/09/2010 : 6:16:33 PM
Thanks very much guys. I picked a great day to be sick. Hopefully I only have the 24hr bug because we are headed up to CSS on thurs. and I still need to do a little more to the dio. I wasn't even able to go up to the work room today so with luck I'll be feeling better tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Kevin
visman48 Posted - 11/09/2010 : 09:34:07 AM
Kevin
Whatever Dallas says....everything has come together, when I get mine out, I only hope it looks at good...err rusty, dusty, dinged, banged up, broken, decrepit as yours does. And that goes down to the tuffs of grass places just right. Very nice indeed, I have had those box of parts out and that is a project to just paint and weather them.

I especially like the RR Crossing sign, as I have to do some too. Did I not notice it before? was it a recent add on? if not it really finishes the scene.

les
hon3_rr Posted - 11/09/2010 : 09:31:34 AM
"One giant step.." into O scale!! This diorama is really sweet!! My hat is off to you Kevin. I too hope to someday see it in person. I also want to thank you for all of the great tutorials you have presented along the way in the build threads. I know that they have helped me and I continue to use them as a resource. So... which one of Brett's kits is next on the list?
wesleybeks Posted - 11/09/2010 : 09:15:24 AM
I second dallas`s comment.

Just awesome
Martin Welberg Posted - 11/09/2010 : 04:30:50 AM
Superb build !!!!
dgjj Posted - 11/09/2010 : 04:03:20 AM
bloody marvelous

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000