Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 New England Farmhouse (Creative Laser Design)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 02/08/2009 : 10:00:37 PM
I noticed this kit at the W. Springfield show. The prototype is near Lyndonville Vt, but the same style of extended farmhouse is found all over northern New England, and it would fit well in my Massachusetts North Shore layout. This weekend I had planned to build scenery, but the attic is cold and I'm trying to avoid getting the nasty fever my wife had last week. And I needed the house's dimensions to position it in the new scenery at East Bexley anyway, so I worked downstairs in the warm.

This is the basic shell, lacking the shed doors and the side porch. The laser-cut parts fit quite well, which is not something every manufacturer manages.

This is the underside - I made a 2nd floor from 1/16" basswood, partly to keep the house walls square, partly because it's going to be only a couple of feet from the edge of my layout and people may be able to see inside a bit.

I emailed a couple of questions about the kit to Creative Laser Design (www.creativelaserdesign.com) this evening. I'll update with the answers and another photo or two once I've got it painted.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/22/2009 : 2:35:18 PM
James,

Very nicely done! Thanks for the pix of both sides.

I'll give this kit some serious consideration.

Pete
in Michigan
MikeC Posted - 02/22/2009 : 2:15:42 PM
Very nice, James. Thanks for the additional photos.

Tyson Rayles Posted - 02/22/2009 : 2:12:57 PM
Most excellent!
jbvb Posted - 02/22/2009 : 1:06:53 PM
We had a little sun this AM, so I took the finished model outside for some simple shots.

If I was locating it where both sides were visible, I should add more gutters, one or two stink pipes, an electrical service entrance and maybe a bracket lamp over the shed doors. But I got started on finishing Addams Ave Pt. 2 (other side of Bexley Yard) instead.
Mike Hamer Posted - 02/21/2009 : 7:49:59 PM
James, a beautiful building which will sit proudly on your B&M layout!
MikeC Posted - 02/21/2009 : 5:29:02 PM
James, you did a nice job with this. The copper 'stays' on the downspouts are a nice touch.

I'd like to see some photos of the other sides, if you have some to post.

jbvb Posted - 02/21/2009 : 4:53:44 PM
I finished it today - I only put .060 styrene channel gutters on the visible side. The downspouts are Plastruct .050 wire-core styrene rod held on with loops of fine copper wire.

This is the new scene it's going into, I think it will work out well.

It's the less interesting side of the house, but it would have faced the road in real life, so I can't bring myself to do otherwise.
jbvb Posted - 02/16/2009 : 6:42:36 PM
In thie neck of the woods, shutters lasted longest on houses owned by white-collar workers; The less wealthy and the purely practical replaced them with roller and venetian blinds more or less as they needed significant work. I'm aiming for a 'working farm' look, but thanks for getting me thinking about that: I should do gutters and downspouts on the main house at least (people who removed gutters usually didn't plan to own the house long enough to worry about the sills).
deemery Posted - 02/15/2009 : 10:21:08 PM
Then add some shutters...

dave
jbvb Posted - 02/15/2009 : 9:49:26 PM
I got the windows, trim and porches installed this past week, including brush-painting the interior, and then I airbrushed it Scalecoat White this afternoon.

Material I added (not in the kit) includes the second floor, trim boards on the gables, the subroof on the side porch and the bracing/gluing surface timbers inside the gables. Next will come windows and window treatments, but I've got to get some more .020 styrene before I can do the sub-roofs for the house and shed. And yes, I'm going to paint the forgotten side-porch post once the glue dries.

I expect to weather it with India Ink washes and maybe a scratching brush, because my 2nd floor requires that the glazing goes in before the roof goes on.
Mike Hamer Posted - 02/09/2009 : 6:53:23 PM
Hi James, that's a beautiful looking kit. I've always wanted to model a New England connected farm. Thanks, Pete, for your info here!
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 5:47:36 PM
James,

Many thanks! I'll keep this kit in mind.

Good luck with the build!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 02/09/2009 : 08:11:32 AM
In scale feet, the kit is 25 feet W x 83 L x 29 H. The guy I talked to thought the prototype was built about 1870. The one I live in is 50 W x 80 L x 35 H, but it incorporates a center chimney colonial (heated w/fireplaces instead of stoves) and was built 1799 - 1811. In many cases (mine included) the "little house" is the original, built by a new landowner, with the "big house" and "back house" being added once the farm was earning a bit of money (or once they got the timber frame cut and the foundation built).

I'm thinking about a barn to go with this one, but it may have to be a partial structure as the space is about 18" deep to the backdrop and 30" wide. At any rate, it should more or less match the house as to era.
Peterpools Posted - 02/09/2009 : 07:13:13 AM
James
Without question, the Framhouse says "New England" all over the design. fit and quality looks very good. Looking forward to the build.
Peter
BCT
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/08/2009 : 11:16:32 PM
"Big House, Little House, Back House, Barn." This is the essence of the connected farmhouse, it's a kid's rhyme, and it's the title of a book with more information on the connected farmhouse than you'd ever really want. Great reference material!

The connected farm didn't just "happen." It was a deliberate design, and the owners occasionally moved the whole thing around, up the hill, down the hill, and so on to take advantage of prevailing weather. All this Before Trucking.

In a nutshell, the Big House had the front parlor, his office and the bedrooms. The Little House had the kitchen and her workrooms, from which she ran her businesses. The Back house had his workshop, the woodshed, and as far away from the Big house as possible, the privy. The barn had (wait for it. . . !) the animals.

All of this was arranged around the dooryards, the relationship to the road, and so on. And in an era of Big Snow, Very Cold Winters and no electricity, these designs made it possible to stay indoors to tend to the stock. If you were outdoors at night in January and missed the doorway, well, they found you in July when the snow went out. It's interesting stuff!

I'm curious: What are the overall dimensions of the kit? I scratch-built a similar building for a module and after drawing up plans, realized that at 26 inches long, it was going to be bigger than some of my factories! The model was then built to TT scale, which was a real hit with the contest judges....

I'll enjoy following the build threadó may even buy a kit for myself!

Pete
in Michigan

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000