Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 249 ]  [ Total: 250 ]  [ Newest Member: Junny ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 MCain & OBama Fish Oil & Fertilizer (FSM R Saywer)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GreggW Posted - 10/12/2008 : 2:43:36 PM
M.Cain & O.Bama Fish Oil & Fertilizer (FSM R. Saywer Kitbash)

Today has turned out to be busier than normal at the fertilizer factory.

The owners were down on the docks trying to come up with a plan to fix that fishnet drying rack on the working end of the dock. That I-rack seems to be a never-ending problem. No one has fixed that I-Rack yet and the bosses cannot agree on what to do.

So, there they were, M. Cain and O. Bama looking things over and arguing about how best to fix the I-Rack once and for all, when all of a sudden all kinds of yelling could be heard, completely disturbing the morning quiet. It surprised everyone that that old steady boat, the Fannie Mae was sinking. The bosses and the rest of the crew were running in circles to put together a rescue plan and by the time they had agreed on what to do, that government boat came by with a crew to save the Fannie Mae. Yep, another government bailout job that we will all be paying for later.

Hopefully, the Fannie Mae can stay afloat and not end up going under like the Wa Mu did last week. She can still be seen, but not for much longer.

Thatís when the Sarah Palin from Alaska pulled in, bringing her goods to add to the mix

She was a site, slipping through the waters and up to the dock, though her load did tend to smell some. The workers, owners and everyone were eying her over and checking her out, when all of a sudden the biggest commotion you ever did hear was going on out back near the shipping docks. The bosses took off around the main mill to see what was going on and found that the American Economy came completely off the tracks.

There are all kinds of folks checking that out now. Seems like all they want to do is throw money at the problem instead of doing the hard work of just lifting her up slow but sure.

Oh, and that's when the new partner arrived in his spiffy red and white rig, J.O. Bidenís Finest Fertilizer.

Olí Bama seems to be very pleased with this new partnerís special brand of fertilizer, but Mr. Cain seemed to think his stuff stinks. Those two just do not agree on anything. Just when words were getting a little heated, that old worn out Presidential díBait rig pulls up.

Sure enough, Olí Bama, Mr. Cain and the Biden and Sarah Palin crews all spent time over at díBait rig, telling everyone about all these problems and how best to fix them.
Seems like all they do is talk and nothing ever gets fixed. They talked so much that some of the fence sitters couldnít stand it anymore and they got up and left.

The rest of those fence sitters are still there taking in all that doublespeak and maybe hoping for new jobs. Now the AP Pole is leaning towards O.Bama.

So here we are, late morning and the Wa Mu is under water, Fannie Mae is being bailed out, that nasty I-Rack problem is still not fixed, they have no idea how to get that American Economy car back on track and all we have to look forward to today is the smell of this stinking business. Well, at least we get to wander down to the docks and check out the Sarah Palin. She does have nice lines.

The Fine Scale Miniatures Rollin Saywer Chemical structure has always been one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the standard kit design with its long structure just would not fit on my layout, so a rearrangement was in order. Jim Lucus and I hope you enjoyed our modified version of Fine Scale Miniatureís Rollin Saywer Chemical, as well as our little bit of fun with these present election and economic times. This build demonstrates that many structures can be modified for dockside applications. It also shows that our hobby can help us through even the most difficult of challenges. Now I need to go finish the detailing and find a place it on the layout.

Gregg

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rutlandfan Posted - 07/29/2012 : 11:06:13 PM
I thought a Pork Barrel factory would have come from M.Cain and O.Bama. LOL

Nice story and nice model.

Phil
TRAINS1941 Posted - 07/29/2012 : 7:38:13 PM
Gregg good to hear from you once again. Can we assume you will be joining us again???

Would be just great to have you here to get us all started again.

Jerry
barry dupler Posted - 07/29/2012 : 5:50:53 PM
I'd like to say welcome back as well. I hwve missed sseing your work. I have found it truely inspirational.

Barry Dupler
Frederic Testard Posted - 07/29/2012 : 5:47:13 PM
Gregg, it's good to read you again, and it would be nice if you restarted your great projects.
GreggW Posted - 07/29/2012 : 1:55:48 PM
It's been four years since the last election and with all the happenings in the world and our personal lives, it's amazing and a bit concerning how little has truly changed. Thought this was worth an anniversary re-visit.

Gregg
mabloodhound Posted - 07/04/2009 : 11:26:51 AM
It's a pretty busy day at the pier for the 4th of July. Must be a big problem as no one is partying.
GreggW Posted - 07/04/2009 : 11:24:41 AM
What better way to spend my 4th of July morning than a visit to the fertilizer plant and see if they're making any progress on the various problems.

Gregg

LynnB Posted - 12/28/2008 : 3:18:55 PM
Thanks Gregg for taking the time.
GreggW Posted - 12/26/2008 : 4:37:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wickman

Thanks for the link Gregg, for some reason it doesn't open for me I wander if maybe there working on there site?

Hmmm. I had the same issue this morning. Then did a yahoo search for Model Tech Studios, clicked on the results and it worked. (Perhaps I made an error on typing it in.) Here is the resultant link. www.modeltechstudios.com

Gregg

Update: I found an alternate dinghy source at my LHS yesterday. Sylvan Scale Models of Parkhill, Ontario Canada make cast resin ones HO-1087. You will need to file down the bottoms to make them waterline crafts, but that's no biggy. Here is the link to their web site.
http://www.isp.ca/sylvan/ho-scaleproducts.htm

Gregg
LynnB Posted - 12/26/2008 : 3:31:17 PM
Thanks for the link Gregg, for some reason it doesn't open for me I wander if maybe there working on there site?
GreggW Posted - 12/26/2008 : 3:10:37 PM
quote:

... Hey Gregg hope you had\are having a merry xmas. I'm assuming you made it back home by now could you possibly post the manufacturers names for the boats?

Merry Christmas Lynn and thanks for the reminder. I looked through my parts stash and found that the dingies I used and shown in the picture are cast metal lifeboats from a Model Shipways boat model that I picked up for detail parts at a garage sale. But, you do not need to go to this trouble, for they look very similar to those Model Tech Studios puts out in their resin cast detail parts "Variety Boats D-0111" package. Go to www.modeltechstudios.com
and click on "HO Parts" and you will find them near the bottom of the second or third page. These folks have a lot of great detail parts worth browsing through. Hope that helps.

Gregg
LynnB Posted - 12/26/2008 : 02:08:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GreggW

quote:

...Your water from the hose turned out great, I'm sure there was a bit of trial and error involved.
Gregg one question, where did you find the boats in the water, I'm assuming there all HO scale?

Thanks Lynn. Acually, making the water exiting the hose was not that difficult. I squeezed a few "streamers" of silicon onto a sheet of cling wrap, then picked the best one to cut and fit to the end of the hose (a piece of wire). I then glued a couple of silicon plops near it to create the splash effect, then added a little EnviroTex to make the deck wet.

This was so easy that I will be adding more urban water effects to my layout in the near future. (Think running fire hydrants, fountains, etc.) This a simple way to add additional movement and life to our scenes.

Regarding the rowboats, the one being bailed is from my parts stash, so not sure of the source. The other two are resin rowboats which I picked up at my LHS.

I am still out of town and will post the mfg name when I get back in a couple weeks.

Gregg

Hey Gregg hope you had\are having a merry xmas.
I'm assuming you made it back home by now could you possibly post the manufacturers names for the boats?
GreggW Posted - 12/10/2008 : 5:19:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

I continue to be impressed by this first class diorama.. and I am not so sure you should do anything about the McCain labels.. After projecting himself as somewhat to the left for the duration of the election, Obama has shifted back to the center and in true bipartisan fashion has reached out to some key Republicans- he is, after all, going to work with McCain on key issues, so between the both of them i don't foresee any management clash on how the fishes are to be processed and sold

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I plan to leave the labels as is for the time being, making a final decision when it gets installed on the layout. As you point out, the theme is still current, although the water would be cluttered with sunken and sinking boats if I made one for every failed/failing business. Not exactly comforting.

Gregg
CieloVistaRy Posted - 12/08/2008 : 1:24:55 PM
I continue to be impressed by this first class diorama.. and I am not so sure you should do anything about the McCain labels.. After projecting himself as somewhat to the left for the duration of the election, Obama has shifted back to the center and in true bipartisan fashion has reached out to some key Republicans- he is, after all, going to work with McCain on key issues, so between the both of them i don't foresee any management clash on how the fishes are to be processed and sold

Arthur
GreggW Posted - 12/07/2008 : 10:03:17 PM
quote:

...Your water from the hose turned out great, I'm sure there was a bit of trial and error involved.
Gregg one question, where did you find the boats in the water, I'm assuming there all HO scale?

Thanks Lynn. Acually, making the water exiting the hose was not that difficult. I squeezed a few "streamers" of silicon onto a sheet of cling wrap, then picked the best one to cut and fit to the end of the hose (a piece of wire). I then glued a couple of silicon plops near it to create the splash effect, then added a little EnviroTex to make the deck wet.

This was so easy that I will be adding more urban water effects to my layout in the near future. (Think running fire hydrants, fountains, etc.) This a simple way to add additional movement and life to our scenes.

Regarding the rowboats, the one being bailed is from my parts stash, so not sure of the source. The other two are resin rowboats which I picked up at my LHS.

I am still out of town and will post the mfg name when I get back in a couple weeks.

Gregg

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000