Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Frank Palmer Posted - 01/21/2020 : 09:03:27 AM
NH is pretty good for getting rid of political signs a day or two after the election. But I do have a stock of both the coated cardboard and corrugated plastic material.

Florida is pretty slow at removing the signs. I've been known to wait a couple of weeks then go after the 2x4's and plywood sheets.
jbvb Posted - 01/20/2020 : 7:13:31 PM
This afternoon I braved the cold and opened the window for airbrushing the Colonial Georgian House's windows.

I want to look at it in daylight tomorrow before the final installation of the doors; There's something I might need to deal with that would require more spraying.

Then I made the telegraph key swivel extension for Bexley Tower. .025 wire and an enclosure bent out of .005 shim brass and soldered. I'm almost ready to paint this and apply a paper track diagram with controls.
jbvb Posted - 01/17/2020 : 11:55:15 AM
Thanks, all. When possible, I devote as little real-estate to public highways as possible. But here, US 1 was very conspicuous, built for 4 tracks and I couldn't avoid presenting it in profile. I had thought about doing the rotary as a simple intersection, but the circle is the thing most Newburyporters remember about this not-really-a-neighborhood-because-nobody-lives here. If you look at the site today, Google's satellite shows the mostly-abandoned roadbeds of the lines I'm modeling. I can even spot hints of the one-time trolley overpass I'm not modeling...
Bill Gill Posted - 01/17/2020 : 09:49:19 AM
Nice scene in the works, James.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 01/17/2020 : 07:53:44 AM
Looking good!
Michael Hohn Posted - 01/16/2020 : 11:21:17 PM
Very realistic, James, the way the highways smoothly go up and over the tracks, plus the classic northeast architecture in the background.

Mike
Orionvp17 Posted - 01/16/2020 : 8:26:38 PM
Excellent progress, James!

I like the LP-on-the-roof bit. Good way to see if things actually Work!

Looking forward to seeing Rowley again next week!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 01/16/2020 : 8:06:20 PM
Thanks, all. NH is pretty good for getting rid of political signs a day or two after the election. But I do have a stock of both the coated cardboard and corrugated plastic material.

Taking advantage of relatively warm weather, I've continued to work on roads, foundations and landforms. I have a footprint for Georgetown Sand & Gravel, the spur just behind the RH abutment. And I'm now far enough along that I can start designing, then building the US 1 overpass. The bright red boxcar is a souvenir from the Amherst Club, out to check clearances for AAR Plate C. Because of its 1930s construction Route 1 was high enough that it didn't need telltales, so I tried a LP on the roof.

But they forecast cold, so I'll probably go back to structures until it's time to pack the Rowley modules for the Big E show a week from tomorrow. I just got the windows I need to finish the Georgian Colonial in the far upper right. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll make a couple of prototype window assemblies for GE Bldg. 41 (also in this Tichy shipment).

In between everything else, I've done some checking and tweaking track. I've signed up for the RailRun operations event in late March and I should probably invite my crew over for a warm-up before that - it's been almost a year since I've gotten out the timetables.
Dutchman Posted - 01/13/2020 : 09:17:54 AM
Great progress so far in 2020, James.
Orionvp17 Posted - 01/13/2020 : 08:55:13 AM
James,

Good progress, good use of time and signage. I also like Dave's BC law comment. We have a "requirement" that signs have to be gone within 48 hours of the election or some such, but there's no noticeable enforcement.

Pete
in Michigan
deemery Posted - 01/13/2020 : 02:07:08 AM
Glad to see you're making use of political signs. BC in Canada has a great law. All signs have the name and phone # of the person who gets fined $75/sign for each sign still around 3 days after the election.

dave
jbvb Posted - 01/12/2020 : 10:58:52 PM
Mike, that was the plan. But today was so warm (68F/20C, likely a record) I switched to jobs which are less pleasant in cold weather: choosing and cutting lumber in my unheated barn/shop.

First I worked out a plan for a glacial kettle hole pond in Newburyport by the City RR tracks (the prototype pond is on the other side). The bed is leftover Homasote. Screen wire and ground goop will probably follow this week.

While glue was drying I started work on the US 1 overpass. I cut 1/8" hardboard roadbed (left top running from the backdrop over the main line) and a support. Then I got ambitious and sketched out the traffic circle were US 1 meets State St. (and Parker St. in the prototype, which I've no room for). That's the bright white cardboard political sign starfish in the center. The levels were never going to be prototypical, but it looks like it will work and even look passable by a tractor and 32-foot trailer. I'm sooooo glad I don't have to build roads for 53 footers...
Michael Hohn Posted - 01/11/2020 : 7:26:25 PM
Nice. Sounds like you’ll have several construction projects wrapped up soon.
Mike
jbvb Posted - 01/11/2020 : 1:57:36 PM
The Perplexing Puzzles Plus 'Hardware Store' now has window glazing and basic roof details; I have ideas for signage but need to work out details of a possible animation. So it'll sit for the moment:

This is my first try at this angle. It will improve when a real produce terminal and the Depot Square flats appear in the background.

Parts are on order to complete the large portion of the Colonial Georgian House, and I have most of the windows in the kitbashed RDA Ashford Tower. I know what I need to do for the CTC machine and lighting, I still need to figure out the order boards and their control levers.
jbvb Posted - 01/08/2020 : 9:11:25 PM
Belated thanks, Dave.

I 'finished' the auto unloading platform next to the (future) Bexley Freight House over the past couple of days. Today I took some pictures which came out OK:

I thought daylight from the window spoiled this view, but when I got it on a big screen I liked it.

The old platform dates to the '70s while 'Bexley' was still 'Sawyer' on the Tech Model RR Club layout. Again, it looked much better on a big screen than the back of my camera.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000