Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 274 ]  [ Total: 278 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Small Structure Challenge 2007

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pastor_t Posted - 02/28/2007 : 04:29:00 AM
This is the official thread for the Railroad Lines Small Structure Challenge.

First:

THE RULES

1. The structure can be built in any scale and must be built to the basic dimensions shown in the plan - i.e a footprint of 10 scale feet by 20 scale feet etc.

2. The base that the structure is sited on is to be a maximum size of 40 scale feet by 20 scale feet. For example, in 1/4to the foot scale, the base would be a maximum of 254 mm by 127 mm, while in Ho scale the base would be a maximum of 140 mm by 70 mm. The height of the base is not restricted.

3. The structure can have doors, windows, etc. where you choose to place them. You can also add verandas, chimneys, lean tos which are attached to the structure, fences, a full interior and any other item that would be attached to that type of building. Also figures, animals , vehicles, trees etc can be included.

4. If a board walk or veranda is added to the front, it has a maximum width of 6 scale feet.

5. There are no restrictions on how you build the structure. It can be kit built, scratchbuilt or kit bashed - it's up to you.

6. The challenge runs from 1st March until 1st September 2007.

For an example of what can be done using these rules take a look at L.F. Wills by Laurie Green ( http://www.lauriegreen.info/Wills/wills.html)

Another version of L.F.Wills was kitbuilt by Rick in this thread (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10509).

Please use this thread for posting plans and work in progress, attaboys and other encouragement. A separate thread will be started to display completed projects.

OK Guy's and Gals: the clock's ticking!

Tony
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
belg Posted - 08/31/2007 : 06:35:48 AM
Michael, your project is really coming along very nicely, I'm sure you will add just the right details in time to make any prisoner proud to spend the night!LOL Pat
silveradonorthern Posted - 08/30/2007 : 10:45:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you Nelson and Frederick for your kind words. I like the way the peeling paint effect worked. Frederick you are right about the coloring of the stones they are not quite what I'm looking for. I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I plan to use a gray mortar color and this will have the effect of toning things down. My question is do I use a very light gray or a dark one. Also I'll be putting a wash of A/shoe dye over the walls after the mortar color which I hope will blend the colors more.

I won't have much chance of working on anything for a few days so for now I just keep studying the walls, maybe the answer will come.

TC good to hear your on the mend. It is no fun being sick. A good dose of modeling is all you need.

thanks
TrainClown Posted - 08/30/2007 : 01:07:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wabash Banks

Hey TC, How did you make those windows?

Sorry I missed your question. I still have one window to make for the back wall and I will take some pix of the process and post them fer ya.

Not difficult, but time consuming. But if you are like me, then the longer it takes, the more joy can be derived.

Christopher
TrainClown Posted - 08/30/2007 : 12:42:05 AM
Well I, for one, am glad to hear the deadline is just as guideline. I am just recovering from West Nile Virus. I was down for the count for 3 weeks (er... or was it longer?)

I'm so glad you guys have kept the fires burning, or so to speak. Got some real creative work going on here. I have to get back to my bench a.s.a.p.

Fall and Modeling season is just around the corner and all this gardening jazz will slow down.

I'll post as soon as I have an up-date.

Christopher
Frederic Testard Posted - 08/29/2007 : 9:13:39 PM
Good work Michael. The ppeling paint on the wood is excellent. The colors of the stones is nice too, but I think that all these different colors should be somewhat blended. Maybe covering the wall with a thin juice of a brown or gray color could do the job.
nalmeida Posted - 08/29/2007 : 7:28:10 PM
That's nice progress Michael, the wood looks great.
silveradonorthern Posted - 08/29/2007 : 6:34:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well I had the day offbut so far I haven't gotten much modeling in yet. This morning I did get a chance to snap a few pictures of my current progress. I still have lots to do like adding the mortar color and toning everything down. I think I may add another brown tone to the pallet of grays. The front still needs some weathering and a "sherrif" sign hanging down from the (awning) roof.

The first picture is the walls colored with a coat of light gray.

The next pictures shows the colored stones as they are right now. For the picture I taped the front of the building to the walls. It won't get glued in place until the painting (walls) is complete.

As always questions comments or suggestions are welcome.
Bbags Posted - 08/29/2007 : 11:13:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Nice work Nelson.
I hope this thread won't be locked when the challenge time is over so that we can go on following your progress on this building.

Hi all,
This thread will never be locked until it is archived by Joe which is a ways down the road.
I will leave the thread a sticky for a couple of extra weeks or until people stop posting to the thread and after that if you would like to post you might have to do a search to find it.
nalmeida Posted - 08/29/2007 : 10:03:32 AM
Thanks guys, it's been a fun project so far. The foundation wasn't carved, it was built with pieces of plaster and it still needs to be colored.
Dave D Posted - 08/29/2007 : 09:04:29 AM
Nice work Nelson!

I like all the different materials you incorporated.

silveradonorthern Posted - 08/28/2007 : 10:50:18 PM
Hi Nelson,

Your building is coming along nicely. I love the front of your building, and the stone work is fantastic.

Like yourself my little structure will NOT get finished by the deadline. I looked at where I was at and where I need to be and it just isn't gonna happen At my current pace, mid September is about the best I can hope for.

I did get some work done today. I've started painting the stonework and it is drying at this very moment.

For everyone still working on this challenge.
DON'T GIVE UP!
Dutchman Posted - 08/27/2007 : 10:48:53 PM
Nelson, I doubt the thread will be locked, so 'model on'!
George D Posted - 08/27/2007 : 10:46:05 PM
Nelson,

That stone foundation looks great. I assume you carved it. If it was up to me I'd give you and extension so I could see how the building turns out.

George
Frederic Testard Posted - 08/27/2007 : 10:07:21 PM
Nice work Nelson.
I hope this thread won't be locked when the challenge time is over so that we can go on following your progress on this building.
nalmeida Posted - 08/27/2007 : 5:02:26 PM
Hi guys, I know there's only 4 days left to the end of the challenge, and, as always, I'll need extra time. It's not something I'm strange to, usually I like to take things slow, to enjoy every step, so to prove it's not stalled here are the latest pictures, first we have the base:

The left side:

The back:

And an overall:

Next challenge, if I say I agree with a 6 month time frame I really mean I need 1 year :)

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000