Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 power pole transformers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Auzze Posted - 04/20/2007 : 4:37:38 PM
Hi..

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can buy some power pole transformers as I'm hoping to add this detail to the layout.

StuartM
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Craigger Posted - 06/05/2011 : 2:28:55 PM
Al,

Thank you for sharing some ideas on pole mounted transformers. I also came across Rio Grande and noticed that they sell overhead transformers and a complete power pole set.

I also have come across a lot of large transformers(O and HO) for my substation layout. If you have pictures, I would love to see pictures.

Craig
Tabooma County Rwy Posted - 06/05/2011 : 12:10:12 PM
One thing I forgot to add yesterday was that Selley makes cast (pot metal) pole mounted transformers. They are a little crude, but a little work with small files cleans them up nicely. Last time I looked, the line was available through Walther's.

OK, one more idea for pole mounted transformers... Atlas makes plastic "telephone poles" (accurately described above by Rick (Craigger) as for railroad signals) and some of them have a plastic transformer on the pole. I've used these before, cut off and re-applied to correct height power poles. I think I've also seen plastic "telephone poles" with transformers from maybe Bachmann or Model Power - some other inexpensive brand, anyway....
Craigger Posted - 06/05/2011 : 11:01:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dti406

I am a relatively new member to this forum and had not seen this thread previously. After reading this I have a number of things to add.

Poles, the Atlas Poles are for railroad signals and newer electrical pole lines would usually only have one arm for electrical uses.

The 28' height is correct, the majority of poles used in electrical distribution are 35' in length and with 7' in the ground would be 28' high.

Also the utilities are required to cooperate and so telephone and cable lines are usually strung underneath the electrical and attached directly to the pole with no arms.

You are correct that for home use a single transformer is used to feed multiple houses. Commercial companies that require three phase power will require three larger transformers put on a pole to provide the necessary power.

There was a company in the 80's that made pole lines and pole mounted transformers, but I do not know the name of that company off hand. I will look in my stash of kits because I know I have one of their kits someplace.

Rick

Thank you for the information. If you find the company who made the poles and transformers back in the 80's, please share. Have a great day.
dti406 Posted - 06/05/2011 : 09:44:56 AM
I am a relatively new member to this forum and had not seen this thread previously. After reading this I have a number of things to add.

Poles, the Atlas Poles are for railroad signals and newer electrical pole lines would usually only have one arm for electrical uses.

The 28' height is correct, the majority of poles used in electrical distribution are 35' in length and with 7' in the ground would be 28' high.

Also the utilities are required to cooperate and so telephone and cable lines are usually strung underneath the electrical and attached directly to the pole with no arms.

You are correct that for home use a single transformer is used to feed multiple houses. Commercial companies that require three phase power will require three larger transformers put on a pole to provide the necessary power.

There was a company in the 80's that made pole lines and pole mounted transformers, but I do not know the name of that company off hand. I will look in my stash of kits because I know I have one of their kits someplace.

Rick
Tabooma County Rwy Posted - 06/04/2011 : 10:32:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Craigger

I am a new member to the board. I am working on putting together an HO/O scale electrical substation and wanted to know if any of you now where I can find transformers and insulators. In addition, does anyone on the board have overhead power pole transformers that I can purchase? Thank you for your help. I look forward to being part of the group.

Craig

Craig,

What type of insulators are you looking for? The type that you see out on crossarms on utility poles? Or taller "stack" or "string" insulators? For the smaller ones, take a look at craft stores like Michael's, in their beading section. There are some awfully small beads out there, in brown, gray, or green.

Another source of small insulators is to purchase a package of Rix power poles and cut the insulators off the crossarms. They are styrene, molded in a translucent green, but can be painted.

For large insulators, like I imagine you are looking for to use in a substation or switch yard, there are several manufacturers of substations, such as Kibri, etc, that have what you might be looking for. I've picked up a couple of these type of kits off of eBay over the years, just to pirate the insulators and other apparatus.

Several years ago I took one of the Walther's substation kits and built it, albeit not as per the instructions, and added some extra detail, including copper bus work in the station.

I'm retired from an electric utility, and spent a number of years in the substation department, building and maintaining substations, so this area is of interest to me.... Hope this helps,

Al Carter
Craigger Posted - 06/04/2011 : 10:03:18 AM
I am a new member to the board. I am working on putting together an HO/O scale electrical substation and wanted to know if any of you now where I can find transformers and insulators. In addition, does anyone on the board have overhead power pole transformers that I can purchase? Thank you for your help. I look forward to being part of the group.

Craig
a440 Posted - 05/26/2010 : 5:46:40 PM
All I see is mostly red Xs. Alert Woodland Scenics!!
Matt Gidley Posted - 10/19/2007 : 6:45:11 PM
Very cool John. If you want to improve on mold alignment, set up a tapered pins on the top plate and bushings in the bottom. Put them in 2 diagonal corners. 3 pins/bushings are even better.
Matt
shortliner Posted - 10/14/2007 : 1:05:29 PM
John - have you gone into production on these in HO?
MarkF Posted - 06/07/2007 : 11:18:26 PM
I too have enjoyed this thread. It's kind of fun to watch your products develope from thought to prototype to production. I feel like I'm there with you watching the whole thing come together. Thanks for sharing.
Tim Kerkhoff Posted - 06/07/2007 : 3:28:49 PM
Pretty slick, I have enjoyed watching the whole process come together.
newrailmodels Posted - 06/07/2007 : 12:27:56 PM
Over the last few weeks I was running into problems with the two halves of the mold not aligning correctly. I kept getting a mistmatch of about .010" and it was driving me nuts. I fixed one issue after another and then finally figured out the real cause of my problems. It turns out my spindle wasn't perfectly aligned with the vertical axis and this was throwing my edge measurements off by .004" on each side, which combined gave me a mismatch of .008". Once I figured out the problem, it didn't take long to correct the problem. I now have mold halves aligned to less than .001".

Along the way, I made a number of molds. Here you can see some of the molds I made, as well as the final result:

If you notice some scratches on the model, these are not visible without magnification, and are a result of partial polishing of the mold. I polished the mold just enough to remove some tooling marks that made it difficult to remove the part from the mold, but not enough to remove the scratches from the 400 grit sanding paper.

The next step is to make production molds, which I've never done before. I'll have to add some ejection pins to help get the sprue out of the mold. Fun!
shortliner Posted - 05/22/2007 : 12:26:11 PM
That's no problem - I'll keep an eye on the postings - thanks, John
newrailmodels Posted - 05/22/2007 : 01:04:34 AM
Thanks for the request Jack. I'm still not finished tweaking with the design (in fact I'm making another test mold right now). It will probably be a few weeks before I have production molds finished. I'll post a note on the forum when these parts are available, but we don't sell direct, so you'll have to order from one of dealers (such as Bromsgrove Models in the UK).
Eddie Landreth Posted - 05/20/2007 : 8:14:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Doesn't Walthers make transformers in HO scale in the Cornerstone Series?
Peter

Yes, they do. I've used several sets and like them very much.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000