Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Some progress on the Deep River Southern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
drs_rr Posted - 12/24/2006 : 8:12:14 PM
Over the last few weeks I've been able to make a little progress. All the track is now installed in Beckton minus the turntable and tracks for the roundhouse and enginehouse. I've got all the turnout linkages installed, and about 50% of the wiring done. I've painted the track and have ballasted the back industry tracks. I've even started putting the roads in. Below are some of the various shots around the layout before painting the track, and then starting to put some of the buildings back. Plan on doing some scenery work around the buildings and getting the roads painted up.

Thanks for taking a look,

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MarkF Posted - 12/04/2012 : 11:50:12 PM
Dave, its great to see you at it again. I always enjoy seeing what you've been working on and love what you do. I'm especially impressed with the fact that you are able to make N scale look so good! Excellent work!
Tyson Rayles Posted - 12/02/2012 : 5:02:32 PM
Nice looking scene Dave!
drs_rr Posted - 12/02/2012 : 3:08:09 PM
Had picked up this little Blair Line out building on Black Friday really cheap, so sat down the other evening and put it together. Wasn't sure where I was going to use it but you can never have too many shacks or out buildings.

I've have this dirt road going towards the Frisco/Deep River Southern crossing so I figured I'd put it near that location at the end of the road. After I put it down I decided I should put up some barriers at the end of the road to keep vehicles off the mainline.

Tyson Rayles Posted - 11/26/2012 : 07:40:17 AM
drs_rr Posted - 11/25/2012 : 11:10:00 PM
For years the town of Green Valley scale track looked like this with just a little temporary building I put in front of it to help operators locate where the scale track was at.

I've had intentions of scratch building a small scale house and finish the seen up when over the weekend when I walked into the local hobby shop and found the Blair Line kit for a scale house at 50% off, so figured for a whopping $6.00 what did I have to lose, so I put that together and then got on a role and scratchbuilt the area around the scale tracks and ended up with it looking like this. You will notice that my scale track doesn't have the gauntlet track, no locomotives are allowed on the scale, the railroad even painted a sign on the front of the building to remind those operators don't cross the scale track.

Then after getting the scene back together it was time to run the scale car on the next train out of town and get those scales calibrated so the railroad can try to make some money.

After it got calibrated the railroad wasted no time in getting the first car across the scales. You will also notice the old temporary scale building has been planted next to the main line behind the scale house.

Then after it got weighted it was time for the car to get set out for the next train as the local switcher was running around.

LandNnut Posted - 11/23/2012 : 3:34:29 PM

L&N nut
Jon
Tabooma County Rwy Posted - 11/20/2012 : 1:45:04 PM
That elevator is very ingenious!

Al Carter
MarkF Posted - 11/20/2012 : 02:28:55 AM
Great to see you back Dave. I do love the progress shots and railfan tour of the layout.

As far as the progress goes, you definitely have your priorities in order. Family always comes first. The trains will always be there.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 11/19/2012 : 07:03:01 AM
Good to hear all is well and good on you for spending the time with your son! . The pic of the train going over the drywash is very nice.
drs_rr Posted - 11/18/2012 : 10:48:20 PM
Wow, were does the time go? It's been a long time since I've posted anything and just about as long since I've done anything on the railroad. Well the big push was to get the branchline up and running for the Tulsa Area Layout Design and Operations Weekend back in March! With the help of some friends from California that came to the meet and to assist me in getting it done we managed some long days and nights but in a weeks time we got the branch line (upper level) in and operating while 2 of my local round robin group worked on getting the elevator in and operating between the two levels. The rest of Summer and fall have been dedicated to spending time with my son working on his aluminum bass boat, fishing some tournaments with him and then going to a ton of baseball showcases. Now that he has verbally committed for next year we can sit back and enjoy his senior year this next spring and just watch him play and also free up a lot of time! :)

Follow along in a sequence of photo's where the train leaves the town of Pine Flat located at the end of the branchline and where the logging line interchanges.

Pine Flat

Then down along the back wall

In front of the Cement Plant

Through Montray Pass in a former closet

Leaving Montray pass and entering Newton Grade

easing into Newton Grade

Train is now fully entered onto Newton Grade

Newton Grade is an elevator which is moved with just your hand. The cables go to a counter weight to make it operate smoothly and effortlessly.

once at the bottom of the grade the train start to back through the wall to the interchange yard.

backs across a bridge into the passing siding.

After doing a run around move the engines push the cars into one of the open interchange tracks. After that the engine will cut off from the caboose, pull forward, then back onto the other track and pull the inbound cars for the branchline, pull forward to clear the switch, back to the caboose then pull forward line the switch and back the train across the bridge on Newton Grade then continue to the end of the branchline switching as needed.

Below are 3 photo's showing the new Westley staging yard, branchline interchange yard and a track for the passenger trains. The control panel is just temporary so we can operate.

I did get one other thing done and that was to build and get this Central Valley bridge cut into the mainline. I still need to clean up the scenery around the abutments then I'll be ready for some water to be added to the river bed.

Thanks for taking a look, now that winter has set in, and my son's baseball activities are done for the moment I hope to start in on some scenery on the upper level soon.

MarkF Posted - 01/19/2012 : 10:37:03 PM
Nice progress Dave.
dwyaneward Posted - 01/19/2012 : 5:34:02 PM
Awesome Work Dave!

Maybe some day I can come up from Dallas and see your layout in person.

Tyson Rayles Posted - 01/17/2012 : 08:38:46 AM
Very nice Dave!
drs_rr Posted - 01/16/2012 : 12:16:43 AM
Jon,

I find it challenging as I want to create something that is realistic. I think of the process, inbound, outbound, non rail portions. I could have kept it much smaller, with smaller operations but one of the things I wanted to do on this layout was to create a reason for multiple cars to go to an industry, and more than once a week.

I was having a similar conversation with a guy the other day, take an HO scale structure, one that serves 2 cars, fairly decent sized building, not huge but has some mass to it. Now lets do it in N Scale, still serves two cars but it looks so small (because it is), even though it was proportioned the same, being a different scale it doesn't have the mass to it. Now lets modify that building and make it larger, maybe add a story to it, lengthen it so it serves 3 or 4 cars, now it looks better. Of course there are those structures that look completely fine in both scales.

I too have several industries on the layout that only take one or two cars, but this sawmill scene and the future cement plant are 2 very large complexes which I'm having fun planning out.

Thanks for asking,
drs_rr Posted - 01/16/2012 : 12:04:41 AM
Been a busy week on the railroad. First got the base cut out for the creek and the log pond and got that installed. installed some temporary sockets with compact fluorescent lights in the area until I can fund the correct fixtures. Then I cut the facia on the upper level from the 3 bridges on the branch line around Pine Flat and along the sawmill area.

Today I spent the day and secured all the trackage in the sawmill area and soldered all the feeders in place.

You may notice in this photo compared to those last week of this area I added a track. The track the caboose is sitting on was an addition as I was trying to find a place to add a repair in place spot for some logging equipment and the real estate was running out. Then I had this idea what if the original line to the woods followed the creek to the woods? Why not that same creek goes into the log pond, and the log dump is off that same track so it seemed natural to me. So the last 2" of that track will be nothing but ties and will end up being my storage/repair in place track since the logging railroad built the other line to some new lumber that departs behind the engine house.

That's it for this week, The Indian Nations Division has our Meeting on Saturday (Tulsa Area NMRA - http://tulsanmra.org/) so I'll need to prepare for that meeting, but at some point hope to get Pine Flat trackage secured in place.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000