Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Feedback on Laser Cutters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SAFN SAAP Posted - 03/12/2018 : 10:40:42 AM
Hello Y'all,

I have some questions for those members of the forum board who own or have access to a laser cutter and use one to assist in their modeling. I am interested in purchasing one for the purpose of being able to produce my own structures, parts, etc., and to possibly offer detail parts, etc., for those who are in need. I am very frustrated with the lack of support and ability to have parts produced at a reasonable price, so the old adage rises up: If you want something done, do it yourself. This does not reflect on any one person, business, or entity. I just want to be able to laser cut at my leisure and enjoy the hobby at a new level. If I can help someone along the way, great!

I know I want a CO2 Laser, but that is where my knowledge ends. I see the MicroMark model, Muse, and a few others. Where does one begin to shop? What model do you use? How happy have you been? What are the pitfalls? Would you change anything now that you have experience under your belt?

Any advise, wisdom, or insight would be appreciated. It is a small investment and I don't feel like making a 2K-5K mistake.

Thanks,

Manny
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bernd Posted - 06/04/2018 : 06:51:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by spyder62

Bernd Done computer must of had a hiccup

I've had the same problem occasionally. Good job.

Bernd
spyder62 Posted - 06/01/2018 : 10:20:37 PM
Bernd Done computer must of had a hiccup
Bernd Posted - 06/01/2018 : 08:02:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by spyder62

Manny the mini is a great machine I have two of them. Go on the Epilog site and sign up to be notified when they have a used one up for sale. These are trade-ins and come with a one year factory warranty. They have been tested and new tubes in most of them.
rich

Rich,

Great info. I might be interested in one in the future.

About your other two duplicate posts. Could you delete them please. Easy to do. To the right of the posted date you'll find the icon for deleting your duplicate posts. Each post needs to be deleted separately. Thanks.

Bernd
spyder62 Posted - 05/31/2018 : 8:23:41 PM
Manny the mini is a great machine I have two of them. Go on the Epilog site and sign up to be notified when they have a used one up for sale. These are trade-ins and come with a one year factory warranty. They have been tested and new tubes in most of them.
rich
mabloodhound Posted - 05/31/2018 : 4:57:54 PM
Walt was going to sell his unless it went to the new manufacturer of RSSM details?
BurleyJim Posted - 05/26/2018 : 2:43:00 PM
I think maybe Walt has one for sale.

Jim
SAFN SAAP Posted - 05/26/2018 : 1:36:23 PM
Yes,

Looks like I am going to go with an Epilogue. I am looking at their Mini Series, just don't know if I am going to go 18x12, or 24x12. I might go Helix. Don't know yet.

I am just going to be cutting railroad car parts, and turn of the century buildings, so I don't know which one yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Manny
johneye Posted - 05/26/2018 : 1:29:15 PM
Have you made a decision Manny?
Bernd Posted - 04/26/2018 : 08:16:41 AM
Sounds to me like you are trying to discourage Manny from purchasing a laser?

I bought a CNC mill to do parts for my modeling since there is nobody that I know of that would do model parts for me. Since I have the knowledge of programing CNC machines I decided to purchase a table top CNC mill. Would I do parts for somebody else? Right now no. I don't have the time or inclination to do so.

If Manny wants to do this fine. I do see where a person owning a model producing business could see Manny as a threat to their business. As Manny said in his original post that he may do custom work, but is more interested in producing his own models at his leisure.

I say Manny don't let this discourage you. I'm also thinking of eventually getting a laser for producing kit's in TT scale. If Manny purchases one I maybe a customer to him for a TT scale model. Time will tell.

Bernd
spyder62 Posted - 04/25/2018 : 7:42:26 PM
second what Walt says hard to be both
rich
Rusty Stumps Posted - 04/25/2018 : 07:47:17 AM
Understand, you are either a modeler or a manufacture as few can do both and get anything worthwhile out of their efforts.
SAFN SAAP Posted - 04/24/2018 : 10:52:48 PM
I'm still doing a little research, but I am leaning on Epilog. Hope to make decision shortly.

Manny
Bernd Posted - 04/24/2018 : 5:52:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johneye

As someone who is in a position very similar to Manny, I'm really looking forward to the follow up on this .......lots of good pointers here that serve us lurkers who might have differing priorities too!

The best way to go is a product that you can get spare parts for easily and fast. I know a modeler on another forum who has a Full Spectrum Laser. He is using it to build his own building and track bases. He's had it for several years and is a very happy user. So that's a plus for purchasing a Full Spectrum Laser. The other I would look at is the Epilog line of lasers. Both are high priced, but you get what you pay for.

Bernd
johneye Posted - 04/24/2018 : 2:32:45 PM
As someone who is in a position very similar to Manny, I'm really looking forward to the follow up on this .......lots of good pointers here that serve us lurkers who might have differing priorities too!
SAFN SAAP Posted - 03/18/2018 : 2:37:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MarcusF

Sorry I spoke.

Manny, good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever machine you chose. I still think you're buying more machine than you really need, but if you can afford it, go for it.

No apologies necessary. Your input is as valuable as anyone else's. I asked my question for input, not for any disagreements or fights to develop.

Truth, I have not decided what to buy yet. I do know, that I will not buy anything until I am completely sure, and that it will be the only level of purchase I ever need to make. I don't want to spend twice.

Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Manny

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000