Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kumard Posted - 07/18/2015 : 6:46:50 PM
1/10/16 I have renamed the thread as I want it to fit with the branch line universe of my next layout 'The Town'. I hope there is no confusion. I'm looking forward to showing the next episode of this story.

Hi everyone.

I just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I came back into the hobby via a website by a gentleman name Carl Arendt. Sadly he died a few years ago but shortly after I decided to take the plunge and build my first model railroad. As such I've called it Carendt and it is dedicated to Carl.

It's not finished but I wanted to post some pictures taken from angles that will no longer be possible once the cover goes on. I will have more pictures later and a description of how I created certain parts. <br /><br />It was definitely fun but hard work and stressful at times. I'm taking a break from starting a new layout for a few months.

It's loosely modeled on the Soo Line somewhere in the upper-midwest (Great Plains).

Iím waiting for the photo backdrop to arrive and be installed and then Iíll be starting on adding the correct rolling stock.

The building are a mixture of scratch-built and kits.

The track is hand-laid with spikes.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tyson Rayles Posted - 02/25/2019 : 09:07:03 AM
kumard Posted - 02/24/2019 : 2:16:41 PM
Thanks Andy (Off The Rails) and sorry for the tardy response. I've been away from the hobby for much of last year due to change in personal circumstances. I thought I was through that in December and then I had minor medical issues to attend to which have just ended and now I'm back in my railway room modeling again! (Sorry I know that was probably too much information). I'm currently working on my scratch-building depot project for The Town (just a working title btw) and will post on that soon.

Chris Nevard (in my opinion) is the best modeler in the UK right now. He seems to have been passed the baton from the earlier generation of Iain Rice, Bob Barlow and Barry Norman. Along with Gordon Gravett, Nevard is producing some of the best modeling I've ever seen. Here in the States (I'm in California) we are also in a 'golden era' of modeling with Lance Mindheim (https://lancemindheim.com/) and Tom Johnson and many others. I just sit on the sidelines and watch and admire their work.

Btw I thought this thread had died. Thanks for bringing it back! More on The Depot next year (2020).

All the best.

K

JGDURAND Posted - 01/02/2019 : 03:15:09 AM
Off The Rails Posted - 01/01/2019 : 5:12:25 PM
Well that was an awesome read. Stunning layout and modelling. I love the "simplicity", yet combined with exquisite and complex attention to detail. Truly inspirational work.

I like that you mentioned Carl and Ian and their influences, I would agree they were both champions of showcasing what can be accomplished in a very modest space. Another excellent UK modeller who works exclusively on micro layouts (under 4' long)is Chris Nevard. He also manages to capture a scene in an almost artistic form, yet bring it to life through his work. I do recommend looking at his creations.

http://www.nevard.com/layouts.html

Some Examples of the atmosphere he creates.

Anyway, I am off to read The Town next. Keep up the good work and happy New Year
Cowboybilly Posted - 10/02/2017 : 02:03:46 AM
yes it is this one, i hope you like it
Tyson Rayles Posted - 10/01/2017 : 7:47:20 PM
Nice!
kumard Posted - 10/01/2017 : 3:30:49 PM
Thanks Frank. I watched the whole thing.

I think this is what you wanted me to see - a model by Peter Dillen:

In other words take a famous painting, (in this case a Dutch painting - Willem Koekkoek https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Koekkoek) and add a narrow gauge tram - very similar to what I wanted to do but just on a whole different level of excellence.

Great modeling throughout the video: Javanese sugar cane railway, USA narrow gauge, German tram and feldbahn, Italian railways etc. Very inspiring.

Cowboybilly Posted - 10/01/2017 : 03:08:11 AM
thnaks kumrad , i mean this , all have a nice sundy
kumard Posted - 10/01/2017 : 12:21:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Ee6Pep8jQ&usg=AOvVaw3JbIn9chW05uLgusm0IIdpre
Cowboybilly Posted - 09/30/2017 : 3:46:13 PM
do not open its an error , id ont know why
Cowboybilly Posted - 09/30/2017 : 3:44:19 PM
www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dv-Ee6Pep8jQ&usg=AOvVaw3JbIn9chW05uLgusm0IIdpre" target="_blank">https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQx56U183WAhWIUBQKHbp9DzsQtwIILDAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dv-Ee6Pep8jQ&usg=AOvVaw3JbIn9chW05uLgusm0IIdpre
Cowboybilly Posted - 09/30/2017 : 2:05:08 PM
here are something from ontrax europ

i hope you like it
ed k Posted - 09/30/2017 : 1:24:07 PM
The Cornish clay drying facility is a picture! You are not fooling me. Okay, okay, I believe you (no I don't). I give in, I know you would not try and fool me. Or would you?
Incredible modeling. If that does not inspire, than check your pulse.
ed
kumard Posted - 09/30/2017 : 1:00:28 PM
Tim >> Good luck with your N scale layout!

Tom >> After I complete my 2nd mini project I will be set to build the On30 layout of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina that Ian Rice drew up a plan for. >> The Tweetsie! Great choice. I have a book by Mallory Hope Ferrell on that little railroad; unread as yet but hopefully soon.

Tom >> It is in his [Iain Rice] book about shelf layouts. I am not that good at drawing up RR plans and will gladly use the work of art that he designed for the book. I love his illustrations of the layouts as well. >>
Yes Iain is a fine fine-artist and that definitely comes through in his drawings and general artwork. His drawings can be very helpful in picturing the result though some of his clearances and build-ability of his trackwork might seem a little optimistic to some.

Taking further my ideas on art and model railways I'm thinking of basing either a micro or diorama (still within the same branch) on this photo by Joel Sternfeld:

No more summertime, this time firmly set in winter but I'm not sure how I would use it: shall it be a background or should I build a mini/micro/diorama (i.e. in 3D) and add a couple of sections of track and a turnout? Plenty of time to think about since I can't do anything now till next year.

Here's food for thought. This is a layout called Horselunges - and it represents the next generation's version of an Iain Rice layout - a combination of painting, stage design and superb model railwaying:

Grabnet Posted - 09/30/2017 : 09:10:30 AM
After I complete my 2nd mini project I will be set to build the On30 layout of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina that Ian Rice drew up a plan for.

It is in his book about shelf layouts. I am not that good at drawing up RR plans and will gladly use the work of art that he designed for the book. I love his illustrations of the layouts as well. You can almost picture them in 3D just from the drawings alone. A very creative guy!!! Doc Tom

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000