Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 63 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Never Done and Always Changing On30 Railroad

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scott robertson Posted - 10/16/2009 : 7:11:25 PM
Hi guys! I am new to the forum and never done this before. So I thought I would jump right in and post a little modeling. I am a member of the Norhtern California Narrow Gaugers module club (see other topic setup by John Cooper). I am the guy with the two modules reflecting the logging service facility andf the mine scene.

I am trying to upload some recent modeling for view and comment. However, Pics will not load (site under maintenance??) Is this a regular thing or am I doing something wrong. Help?

Scott scottrobertsonon30.com
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thtroll Posted - 07/21/2014 : 11:12:57 PM
I agree with Bryan. I am always amazed on how natural your buildings look. The time and effort you put into planning really pays off. Looking forward to more updates.
brownbr Posted - 07/20/2014 : 7:55:15 PM
All of those great structures will make a fine looking town.
scott robertson Posted - 07/20/2014 : 6:32:44 PM
Sausage being made........Today I turned my interest back to the hill side town proposed on my logging line extension below my layout. Please excuse the quality of the photos. However, it goes with the demonstration of how rough things are when I mock up a scene. I am using foam core board to build up the road and chunks of white foam to support the base scenery. After roughing in the area I start setting in some "stand in buildings" to get a feel for mass and view angles. Some of these buildings will be included in the town, others are to be constructed over time. I still need to place the back drop and finish laying track before I go to much farther. The road will cross the tracks just west of the station on a wood bridge. The rack will disappear be hind a hill of trees into a hidden loop of track that will reappear in the log camp scene proposed across the aisle. For those of you on the fence about building scenery, (you know who you are...) I hope this demonstrates that you really do not need to be perfect about the base scenery and i think it is better if you just let it go and start hacking away with some without a lot of slid plans. Eventually I will blend everything together with more foam and light weight patching plaster, covering up the abomination below. Scott

BigLars Posted - 07/07/2014 : 07:41:15 AM
Nice work on the cars Scott. Any details on the caboose build?
elwoodblues Posted - 07/07/2014 : 07:17:28 AM
Great looking cars Scott, the scenery isn't to shabby either.
scott robertson Posted - 07/06/2014 : 8:57:41 PM
I spent a part of the weekend finishing a couple of projects. The caboose is a really nice kit from Mt. Blue recommended by a friend. The flat car is a scratch build started many years ago but not finished until today. My fleet is coming along nicely, now I just need to finish some scenery so I can get some logs out! Scott

stockjunkie Posted - 07/02/2014 : 8:40:03 PM
Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me on how you do the paper textures. Sorry it took so long to answer but once a work week starts, its pretty much just all work and sleep. I watched the tutorial you gave the link to. It answered a lot of questions. What Im missing is the publishing software so that will be one of my next purchases. I still really like the results you are getting and plan to play around with it. Thanks again, JD.
on2rails Posted - 06/30/2014 : 09:28:39 AM
Good stuff Scott!
scott robertson Posted - 06/29/2014 : 3:19:55 PM
This morning I experimented with the chalk technique for painting/weathering structures. As has been described by others, I weathered some scrap wood siding using an alcohol/shoe dye mix. Cut out the building walls and windows, then applied a white chalk by rubbing the artist chalk stick on to the walls. The white was okay, but I thought, how about a green over lay. After applying each chalk I used a soft brush to wipe a way the excess leaving a nice blend of color looking like old weather paint. The windows and doors were sponge painted. The roof is strips of some left over wood sheet that has a texture like corrugated metal, a little thick, but passable. I dry brushed on some raw umber paint and while wet dusted on some rust chalk/weathering powders. I still need to add a floor and some other details, but for a little less than two hours a nice simple little structure for my proposed hillside town. Scott

scott robertson Posted - 06/28/2014 : 7:23:57 PM
I recently acquired 3 HO scale water tanks for $5 that were built and painted. The two hoop tanks were painted a mustard yellow and the banded tank was the color of the base it is sitting on. I added some scratch built band and hoop camps to provide the illusion of these items, then I went about weathering them up with acrylic paints and some powders/alcohol. Althouh a little smale for O scale I figure I can use them for logging camp water storage or as roof top tanks atop some industry. I love these little "lemonade" from lemons projects. Scott

BigLars Posted - 06/22/2014 : 09:46:06 AM
Scott,
Nice work on the flat cars, the waterfall is a great place for the photo ops.
scott robertson Posted - 06/21/2014 : 11:37:58 PM
A few years ago I gave a presentation at the National convention. The following is a link to a slide show on YouTube of my presentation. Hard to explain how I go about it. Hopefully, you pick something up out of the slide show. Is there some specific point where your attempt went sideways?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipFkI_VXHrA

Scott
stockjunkie Posted - 06/21/2014 : 1:58:23 PM
Hi Scott,
Im a big fan of your work, especially using the texture paper. I tried to do some CG Texture the other day but it was a fiasco. Can you give a step by step on how you do it? What kind of paper, and do you adjust the images to any certain size for O scale? Thanks, JD.
okiecrip Posted - 06/01/2014 : 5:35:53 PM
great scene
MinerFortyNiner Posted - 06/01/2014 : 01:47:05 AM
The debris looks very natural, Scott. And, that waterfall scene is great!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000