Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25249 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After those first two small projects, I scratchbuilt this ice house as part of Challenge I. It was taken from plans in the August 1992 issue of RMC.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a challenge! Thanks for helping me see what I've been missing. All of your finescale works are great examples to follow. Thanks for sharing.

Allen
Discovering the East in the West!

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!
Go to Top of Page

Shamus
Crew Chief

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  03:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone else see red X's on my photos?? I can see them okay.

Shamus
Go to Top of Page

bpate
Fireman

Australia
3090 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  05:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul, I can see your photos all too clearly, I now have to build up courage to post a photo of my railway station!

Some most excellent photos of scratch building so far everyone. I am very pleased this thread has been started. It will be one to return to again and again.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  06:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures all.
Paul,
I can see your pictures fine.
I have seem most of them before but every time I look at them I find another interesting detail that I have not seen in the past.
Again, thanks all for posting pictures of your work.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

MontanaRed
New Hire

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  9:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit MontanaRed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I built this over 20 years ago. It is built board by boad and is constructed of balsa cut to dimension (or close enough...). The roffing is aluminum foil cut to size, then pressed into a single cut file, and rubbing with a very soft piece of balsa. Paint and weathering is done with water soluable tempra paints. I now weather with chalks, but 20 years ago I used dry brushing. The roof is beat up due to several moves, but the model now has a fulltime home. It is not up to craftsman standards, but it sure looks good in my diorama.

Download Attachment: Monarch_mine4.JPG
96.83 KB
Go to Top of Page

Scott McCabe
Engine Wiper

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  08:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Scott,
I meant to ask since not only is your model impressive but the collection of yellow boxes in the background caught my eye.
Are those full waiting to be modeled or are they empty meaning that you have constructed them and maybe could post some pictures.

John thanks for all your compliments, I have many yellow boxes, have built stuffys and franklin watchworks as dioramas, also have many scratch built originals, re-shooting pics and will post soon. Thanks
Scott McCabe

The LL&M
Lawrence, Lowell & Manchester Railroad Circa 1935
Go to Top of Page

postalkarl
Fireman

6740 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce:

Nice Ice house.

Karl S
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5239 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's some really great projects, already. I don't have anything built from scratch...yet.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, your Monarch Mines looks pretty darned good to me. You did a nice job of scratchbuilding![:-thumbu]

Bruce, I still like your C1 ice house. It's a neat little structure![:-thumbu]

Speaking of Challenge 1, here are a couple of photos of the "abandoned" freight house I built for the project. This was done board-by-board over a 4 X 4 framework. I drew the template on ordinary graph paper and went from there.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

Chuck Doan
Fireman

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few pictures of one of my more ambitious scratch building projects, an On3 freelanced logging tank car. The flat car was pretty simple, but the tank was another story. I started with a solid acrylic rod (only after I was done did I realize the rod made the car so heavy, it was almost too much for a loco to pull!) I embossed rivets into separate segments of .005 styrene using a home made rivet tool mounted in a (non-running) drill press. I scrapped so many wrappers, I must have kept Evergreen in business buying all those replacement sheets! Each segment was applied in a prototypical overlapping manner. While I was pleased with the end result, my railroad will have to make due with one scratch built tank car! A construction article and a plan of this car was published in the Jan/Feb 1993 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette.

Chuck Doan

Download Attachment: 395 R.jpg
76.27 KB

Download Attachment: 354 R.jpg
72.55 KB

Download Attachment: 365 R.jpg
74.88 KB

Download Attachment: 407 R.jpg
70.14 KB

Edited by - Chuck Doan on 03/07/2005 10:35:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  7:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures all.
I am glad we are getting to see all types of scratch building from some very simple things to some that are quite elaborate.
You never know when you might see something that you can use on your layout and rather than buying a kit will give scratch building a try.

Chuck,
That is an amazing piece of rolling stock that you have constructed.
It is definitely very worthy of a magazine article.
Great work and amazing detail.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Marken
Fireman

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  7:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that is a work of art. Amazing detail. Very, very nice[:-thumbu]

In memory of Mike Chambers
Go to Top of Page

postalkarl
Fireman

6740 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck:

Very nice tank car.

Karl S
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25249 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  07:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,
That tank car is beautiful and the modeling is impressive. I have not scratchbuilt a car yet, but have recently read some old issues of MR (1950's) where the car-building articles have attracted my interest.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000