Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
I'm glad to see you posting over here on the RR-L Forum. That is one nice piece of scratchbuilding, using a variety of building materials. Did you have a set of plans from an article, or draw up your own? How did you make the master for the first wall section on the coke oven? Again, welcome.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

mikethetrainman
Fireman

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  8:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff those are some great looking buildings. You have a great looking layout.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1147 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  8:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jef,

Some very nice work, and settings/views.

Marc
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  8:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, thanks for the photos of your work. You've done some really nice scratchbuilding.[:-thumbu]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

railphotog
Fireman

Canada
3781 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  8:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a snowplow I recently scratchbuilt in On30. I cut down a chassis from a Bachmann flat car and used it and the trucks as a base. The rest was made from styrene, using plans and photos from the Gazette for Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad plows.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11302 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, that's a very well executed coal tipple scene.[:-thumbu] Did you do all the design work?

Bob, nice looking little snow plow.[:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  10:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Love the plow. That is something that I still have to add to the roster (even though it is perpetually summer on my layout.)

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19833 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  06:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, great looking scratch build. Looks like a really nice layout. Look forward to more pictures. Thanks for posting.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

956 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, this forum is like the modelers forum, there is a ton of great work shown here.

The first tipple with the coke ovens is based off of two tipples on the Interstate RR, the tipple building is built from a tipple located at Dunbar and the coke ovens were made to look like those located at Pine Branch. I would have made the Pine Branch tipple but I liked the older tipple at Dunbar because it had moderen upgrades, like the new loading boom and it's steel hoist tower, that give it some charm. I didn't have pictures of the tipple in color so I just picked a color that would weather well and that I have seen tipples that were that color. I didn't have pictures of the coke ovens in color until I found a website about the town of Norton VA (where the Pine Branch ovens were located) and they had color pictures of what is left of the coke ovens today. Here is the link http://www.hagyfawbush.com/frontporch/Pine_Branch_Coke_Ovens.htm

Here is the black and white photo that I worked from.

I did make an error in my coke ovens that I did not catch until I had already made the mold and 10 castings. I made the space above the oven openings too tall. I decided to live with it but it still bugs me.

I made a post over on Trainboard that tracked the project from start until it is where it is now. I still have a little bit of work to do on the area and I will continue posting over at TB until I get this finished. Here is that link
http://www.trainboard.com/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/001337.html

I also did another post to track the progress of the smaller coal loader that I show you pictures of. Here is that link http://www.trainboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/001156.html?

I have lots of structures that I have scratchbuilt on my layout becuase I love to have different looking buildings and most of the time I can't find kits that look like what I see in my head when I invision a scene.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11302 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

I did a quick scan of the two tutorials you posted on the TrainBoard. I'm going to have to spend more time looking at those. There's a wealth of information there. Thanks for the links.

George
Go to Top of Page

railphotog
Fireman

Canada
3781 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A while ago I scratchbuilt a copy of the FSM kit "Baxters Building Supplies" , using the photos from their website and print ads. All measurements had to be guesstimated, and not everything is exactly like the kit, which is OK as it makes it more "mine". I call my firm "Woodrows Building Supplies", a play on my last name - Boudreau, pronounced Bood row.

Here's a shot:

I wonder if anyone else has done similar projects, copying commercial kits? I did a partial copy of the FSM "Mackenzie Milling Co." many years ago too.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/
Go to Top of Page

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  5:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Bob

Look on page 16 of this thread. My version of stuffy's and of Wilikers and the center building of skinners row. All by looking at the pictures around the net.

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com
Go to Top of Page

mikethetrainman
Fireman

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  12:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Great looking copy of Baxter's. I like you and a lot of other members here like to sratchbuild. Here are two FSM kits that I have done copies of.

This is R. Schramm MFG. Co. I named it after my dad who is into wood working. I had the kit and used it at the club for many years. After so much wear and tear I rebuilt it using the castings from the kit.

This one is a copy of Sewell's Foundry. I named it after a friend, Morgan Iron Works. I moved the buildings around some and added a copy of the office from Duffy's. I also have built copied of some of the building on the FSM layout from pictures off the internet.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 09/09/2005 12:21:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  11:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike & Bob, boy, that's some great work, especially working "by eye."[:-bigeyes] Big DUH.[:-dunce] It finally ocurred to me why people put FSM instruction sheets up on eBay. I guess other people like to do the same thing. Sheesh! I shoulda figured that one out.
Go to Top of Page

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

933 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  1:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are some "early stage" pix of a new 1/24th scale diorama project.
It's a former small motel office (with the neon sign still out front)
that's been converted into an antique/junk shop. The structure is just
a basic framed building; the siding will be individual clapboards and
board/batten construction:

Here's the current state of the back wall. Most of this will be covered with floor-to-ceiling junk,
but some of it will show:

This is just a mock-up to get the feel of how it will look inside.
Furniture is both scratchbuilt and 1/24th scale doll house stuff (
refinsihed and weathered) with some home-made photo-etched parts,
like the ivy and wire milk crates:

One more close up before I leave. Once the interior stuff is permanently
placed it'll get additional weathering far a more dusty, dank look.

Thanks for looking.
For a few more in-progress shots, you're invited to check out my Fotki album:
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/rainbow_motel/

Regards,
Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Edited by - Ken Hamilton on 10/03/2005 1:21:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page