Digitrax DCS150 failure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1483 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  5:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am at my wits end. I have a DCS150, about 10 years now, that I think has died on me. I keep getting 4 beeps when I power up my controller whether there is an engine on the track or not. I even tried disconnecting the power wires from the track. Same thing. Is it time to call it a day and get a new one or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dave Keys
[:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead]

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6899 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  6:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't own one. But the Digitrax site says 4 beeps means "Booster short circuit shutdown". If that happens when the power wires are disconnected, it sounds like an internal failure. You could follow up with their "Tech Support Depot" which might lead to trying out their warranty, which the site says is very generous.

James
Go to Top of Page

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1483 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  6:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1483 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  07:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a DCS100. Sucks to get old!

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6899 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  10:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try searching for "Digitrax DCS100 beep". My first 5 results were articles on Digitrax's Tech Support Department site.

James
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
16151 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  09:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Digitrax beeps 4 times and shuts down briefly and then comes back on again, it is probably being run too close to its pre-set current limit. To solve this problem, reduce the track current load by setting up additional power districts to provide more total power for the layout. Also, this happened to me, and it turned out to be a small piece of wire laying on the track. I was cutting wire one day and a piece went flying across the room never to be found, until I went to use my layout. And there is was setting on the track. Check all track for any shorts. Just my two cents worth!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

santafe49
New Hire

2 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  9:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my DB150 back from it's vacation trip to Florida.
Same problem as you are describing. Open a trouble ticket on the Digitrax website and they will tell you to send it in for repair. $35 for repair and return postage. Cost me $8.65 to send it to them in Panama City, FL. I sent mine in right before Christmas, knowing they would be closed for the next two weeks, but i got it back exactly 30 days after they came back from holiday.
Cheaper than buying a new booster or command station.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000