Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steve turner
Engine Wiper

339 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  12:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got some info from my other good group but i thought i might try the guys here..always great help here. The Walthers fuel depot has a weird teeter totter for filling the tank and the Grandt line has a couple of pipes standing up.I am thinking i need valves at track to a pump house then pipes to the tanks. Fuel tanks uusing three cars to fill so should be straight forward.Wonder what you guys have come up with..i shall also ask if you know of a pipe and valve kit suitable for this project.I have two or three tanks and i wish to fill with fuel from the tracks with 1000 gallon cars...1950s/60s.Thanks guys.Stay safe .Steve..have not been around for awhile so hi to you all.

deemery
Fireman

USA
8966 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  08:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rusty Stumps has some pipe fittings. Plastruct also has fittings, but they're generally usable for larger scales.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

Mark B
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  08:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Walthers has a refinery pipe kit. It's full of all sorts of valves, pipes, unions, curved pipe pieces as well as longer lengths of pipe.
Might want to give it a look.
Mark
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

339 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  10:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys..the Walthers kit looks interesting.Anyone have or use it no dimension on pipe given etc.Wondering if size good to go to fuel tank trackside and associated pump house. I think its 933-3105.looked around not much available that i could see and no Tichy from what i could see. Thanks .Steve
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

339 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  4:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rusty Stumps fittings look good.Anyone use them are they crisp. Toss up between 1/16 and 1/8 to fit Grandtline tanks beside track.Not sure if 1/8th too big.Any thoughts please.I have another Walthers kit the small tank and pipe detail kit and for fun i measured the pipes..1/16 but not sure about application size wise. So the plan ,bottom feed to the tanks via valve and hose at track through a small pump house then into tanks.No expert just going by what i see and search.Thanks .Steve
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
6319 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  4:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

The 1/8" OD is about 10" pipe in HO scale, and of course 1/16 OD" is around 5" in HO Scale. Depending on what your flowing out of the tank, will pretty much dictate what "looks right". A fire hydrant is fed with 5-6" pipe, so that might be a consideration. The Rusty Stumps fittings look top notch.

Jim

Take the red pill
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

339 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  4:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim..going to try the 1/16..using 1/16 on the tanks for look its better than 1/8. I shall use electrical wire or solder for hose from valve to below car. I got a plan..lets see how it works HA!. Thanks Steve
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

339 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  9:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for info guys,Rusty stump fittings ordered and some styrene rod . Question the track side tanks like the Grandtline and similar where were they filled from..top of tank? The hatches on the tank top and bottom what were they used for....probably elementary question for most of you HA!.Thanks Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000