Passenger coach questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faire to Midland
New Hire

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  12:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently detailing a N scale Bachman Old Timer coach and got to wondering about a couple things.

Looking at the model, it appears to have lavatory vents in opposite corners. That got me to wondering if frosted glass was used on lavatory windows around the turn of the century? I know I have seen cut glass done up like stained glass windows in fancy Pullmans, but would that be too fancy for a simple day coach on a short line?

I'd like to add a smokejack as there isn't one on the model, but I'm not sure if the stove should go in the middle of the coach or at one end across from the restroom, or one on each end? 2 stoves seems an extravagance, I'm planning to model the Ozarks, so it shouldn't be so cold as to need 2 stoves, right?

And one last question, Is there a historic precedent for a conductor's desk in coaches? I have seen them in some tourist trains. At the Colorado Railroad Museum and on the Durango and Silverton as examples. The D&S has a couple coaches called "Conductor's cars" equipped with a desk and radio base station. The conductor's car in Golden actually has a small sort of bay window at the conductor's desk which would be fun to replicate. Yet, I have read of Amtrak conductors doing their paperwork in the diner lounge after hours, so I'm not sure exactly if conductor's desks were a common thing or not. Does anyone have any idea?

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
5864 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  06:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Answer 1. Window shades were used. Pulled down by the occupant if the train was stopped, remember using the toilet while stopped was frowned upon.

Answer 2. I've never seen 2 stoves in a coach, I have seen where one had been located somewhat toward the center of the car.

Answer 3. The cars I've been a conductor on have never had a desk, but they did have a hard seat at the rear of the car for a conductor to use between rounds.

Jim

Take the red pill
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6592 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the hierarchy of cost/prestige in lavatory windows was: Cut or stamped pattern, then etched with a pattern, then just etched all over. With any, pulling the shade was 'belt & suspenders'.

I recall mention of a RR, possibly in the Rockies, using a stove at each end, but it certainly wasn't common.

My knowledge of coach layouts comes from reading passenger car diagram books, but I think special accommodation for the Conductor started to appear in the 1930s on long-haul trains with both coach and Pullman or Parlor space. Paperwork has grown with time...
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8636 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  09:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that 2nd class coaches had 2 heating temperature settings: Too hot, and too cold.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
16065 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  10:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many interior set-ups. But, this is just one of an old timer coach showing one toilet and one stove set-up.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5689 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  6:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen conductor's desks set up in baggage cars or the baggage section in a combine.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Faire to Midland
New Hire

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  10:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Louis. I was thinking that setup makes the most sense to me. The Bachmann model has end windows on both ends I was considering plugging with scribes styrene, but considering the size of the plugs, that's probably much easier said than done. I'll probably just frost the 2 windows where the restroom is and put a smokejack in the opposite corner.

Chances are nobody will notice the changes I make anyway. But I will be happier knowing the oversize lampjacks, end rails, and truss rods are gone.

Thanks everyone, for your input.
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
16065 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  08:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faire to Midland

Thanks for that Louis. I was thinking that setup makes the most sense to me. The Bachmann model has end windows on both ends I was considering plugging with scribes styrene, but considering the size of the plugs, that's probably much easier said than done. I'll probably just frost the 2 windows where the restroom is and put a smokejack in the opposite corner.

Chances are nobody will notice the changes I make anyway. But I will be happier knowing the oversize lampjacks, end rails, and truss rods are gone.

Thanks everyone, for your input.

That frosting of the windows is the easiest, and will look great. Taking a thin ACC glue and using a paint brush to smear a thin coat over the bathroom inside of the windows will frost them nicely. Just a thought for you to consider.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000