Early Rail Forum
 Kadee 705 - scale HOn3 coupler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlairM
Engine Wiper

101 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  10:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up some Kadee 705 couplers for some HOn30 modeling and then started considering if they would be suitable for early rail use.

Personally I will stick with kadee 58s since for me, they operate nicely but are a smaller object than the #5. Link and pins would be the most accurate, but for HO scale that is too much of an added operating complication. O scalers like B Kempinski can use them accurately, but I prefer the additional scenery space HO provides for myself.

For my narrow gauge models these will be the go to choice now. They are much more reliable than the 714s and previous generation.

deemery
Fireman

USA
8636 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use mostly the scale head Kadees on standard gauge cars, and usually the short shank whisker version. Some locos need a special shank shape and those get the larger head couplers. The 711 couplers look better, but they're a pain to construct and install. For HOn30, though, I use N Scale Micro-Trains couplers. Some of my small locos will need work to add those!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

42 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  3:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the 705s since the day they were released on my 1870s models. They were intended to be a direct replacement for the N scale micro-trains couplers in HOn3 and look much better. In fact I know one N scaler who is considering using the Kadee 705s on his models.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000