Early Rail Forum
 The DRE Job : A Switching Primer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  5:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just published a new video that is a primer on switching. I switch the Delaware River Extension on my layout and explain how I plan my switching and why I am making the moves I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDcePfcKAI

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2020 :  06:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was good, Dave. I enjoyed seeing your layout in operation. It runs very well.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

tloc
Fireman

USA
3657 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2020 :  09:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I watched it yesterday over at MRH and will be watching it again.

TomO
Go to Top of Page

Hawghead
Section Hand

58 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2020 :  3:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FOUL, CHEATING!! [:-jump]

Now do it with a caboose. Oh and you can't use the caboose to shove with. [:-eyebrows]

Really liked the video, thanks.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.

Edited by - Hawghead on 04/07/2020 3:40:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  12:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Piece of cake.

Option 1, pull the train into the siding, run around the train, remove the caboose ans shove it to the idler spur on the south end. leave it there and as the last move double the outbound train to the caboose and go.

Option2, cut off the caboose on the lead, leave it there until the switching is done, go get it, run to the south end of the runaround and shove it onto the rear/south end of the train, then put the engine on the north end and depart.

No big deal either way.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Go to Top of Page

Hawghead
Section Hand

58 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I know it would only add a couple of moves, I was really just jerking your chain. I did notice you used the idler spur to stash a box car so I don't know if that option would be available, unless the spur would hold all three. (Hard to tell where the fouling point was in the video).

Anyway again great video, I look forward to seeing more.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  09:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually the question about what to do if there was a caboose came up on other forums, its a legitimate question. There are lots of different ways to switch things so there are many options. I bundled shooting one scene and had to go back to reshoot it, so I actually changed the switching in the 2nd try to eliminate 2 moves.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  4:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I enjoyed the video very much. I too noticed the lack of a caboose. I do know that in the early days cabooses were not always used but what are your railroads rules for caboose use?

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a switcher, if they want one they can use it. Have only had one or two switch crews out of a dozen op sessions want one. Freight trains have one.

There really aren't railroad rules that require a caboose, even before EOT's. Most of the "requirements" for cabooses are in labor agreements.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Edited by - dave1905 on 04/18/2020 08:49:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000