Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

bror hultgren
Section Hand

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  11:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack Work worked extensively in Strathmore (Bristol?) in MR during the late 50's and early 60s. His 'work' was incredibly crisp and clean. His model of a small Canadian station was the impetus for this model I partially completed some 60 years ago:

I do not remember what tool I used to do the scribing, but it was whatever technique he suggested. Scribing was done prior to cutting the walls/windows and doors. My guess is that I also stained the scribed cardstock before cutting the walls.

The platform is stained stripwood. I know the roof is around SOMEWHERE!

Edited by - bror hultgren on 02/29/2020 12:27:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  6:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement, fellas. Iím gonna stick with it. I will look up some additional info because there are instances where I think scribing will give a nearer appearance than the board-on-board with individual strips. The ever fetching Samantha is also gonna show me around her Silhouette cutter - which has lots of modeling uses - cutting out precise walls with windows and doors, but also quickly cutting stock of 1x6s (or whatever) for individual siding planks.

Bror - the work on that depot is really clean. Nicely done!!

R
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5656 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  10:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan the Silhouette cutter can do the scribing for you. Look at what George has done with his Circuit.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  9:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wifey cannot find the cable for the Silhouette. And Iím back on the road for four days... so back to the straight edge and a #11 blade. :) Iíll see if I can get anything done tonight before hitting the hotelís lumpy mattress...
Go to Top of Page

bror hultgren
Section Hand

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I haven't found the roof. [I have found the issue of MR- August 1959- with the sheet of Strathmore I cut the roof from].
He used 4 ply Strathmore scribed with a blunt needle. So it is more of an embossing rather than a cut. Thus cleaner edges to the 'boards'.

Edited by - bror hultgren on 03/02/2020 11:44:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A blunt needle! Embossing! Perfect! This sounds promising. And thanks for the MR issue. Much appreciated!!
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  11:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had another go at scribing the ice house doors. Er... embossing. This is starting to look respectable. And makes me anxious to see how I can make use of the lovely Samanthaís Silhouette. This is pretty fun... but cutting stock of 1x6 siding from Manila file folders will get old.

You can see above, starting and stopping the scribe line precisely inside a Ďboxí needs some practice. No issue if I was scribing all the way to the edge. Might be able to clean those lines up. BTW... I used a beading Ďawlí I found at Hobby Lobby for $1.99. Closest thing I could find to a blunt needle. That tip was like a revelation. Gives a little more definition to the line than I could get with a #11 blade. The line scribed with a new blade was so fine it was almost imperceptible. I think this should look pretty good once it has paint and is weathered.

Also made the doors taller. I think the proportions look better.

In other news... I bought some things to start on a creamery in styrene. LHS had a nice selection of sheets and strips. Evergreenís novelty siding (ship lap) is a dead ringer for the siding on the milk house in Canton, NY I posted in the ĎMilkí thread.

So thatís:

Ice House in card / Bristol.
Creamery in styrene.
I think Iíll give the Werley depot a go in wood if I can find board and batten sheet. And car siding sheet for the grounded box cars that make up the freight shed... Iím not sure Iím up for board and batten board-by-board. But maybe...
Stock pens in stripwood.

What else... what can I 3D print? Or cast in Hydrocal? What other structure materials / methods can I try?

Amazing how half of a paper ice house can get the juices flowing.

R

Edited by - RyanAK on 03/02/2020 11:11:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5656 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  12:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan, I don't thing Styrene building will look good in a card stock and wood neighborhood. The styrene will just look too four-square and clean shaven and stick out in a bad way.
Just my 2 cents.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6366 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

Your scribing looks good; it really works. Avoiding the problem you describe is hard but usually trim would cover the ends of the scribing.

By the way, if you donít mind my nitpicking, the two trim pieces on the gable should probably be mitered where they meet. Also, you should be consistent the way you treat where the vertical trim meets the gable trim. Iím not sure which is ďrightĒ.

Looks like youíve learned a lot.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  1:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, fellas. I'm having fun.

Bob - that's certainly a good point. I'm still going to build the milk house in styrene, just to gain some experience and then judge if the work is too neat to go beside card and wooden structures. If the correct siding was available in wood, I'd scratch it in wood. I could use modeler's license, but I'd really like to duplicate this particular creamery as close to the prototype as possible.

The Werley depot should be straight forward in wood. I think there's board-and-batten in the correct size (if not... I'll cut lots of battens!) and also believe there is freight car siding in wood sheet. One window might be an odd size, but otherwise I can build with wood rather than styrene.

Hi, Mike. Thanks for the compliment. Trim solves lots of construction birthmarks, both in HO and 1:1. Ha. These particular doors are flush to the casing, so no joy in Mudville. v5.0 of the ice house doors might be cleaner yet.

The trim should be mitered at the gable peak and the gable trim should sit on top of the vertical corner trim. Trim is normally done as if it was free-standing and self-supporting. Window and door casing is the same - header sits on top of the vertical trim. Of course, there's exceptions to everything. :)

Fun stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6366 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  5:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Partly out of curiosity I looked at a bunch of plans for various types of buildings. How gable and wall trim pieces met was about evenly split between the two options. I just had to check.

I think you and Bob both make valid points. If styrene looks a little too crisp there are ways to add a little roughness.

Mike

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000