Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

brian budeit
New Hire

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  2:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

for fieldstone, a German company Heki makes an embossed foam core material that works quite well. Cuts easily, and with a little paint work simulates field stone nicely. Product is #7011 random stone.

brian b
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  10:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Brian! Appreciate the lead. The amount of product out there can be overwhelming to a guy just getting into scratch-building structures.
Go to Top of Page

pingjockey
New Hire

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  6:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan this looks like a very fun project. I'll be following along.
I found a larger copy of your ice house and creamery at https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4VmWR5TJUec/STR5jhQ57rI/AAAAAAAAAWs/MMC2cxwEXHk/s1600/Ice Delivery, Carlson %26 Frink Creamery.jpg

Larry

~=~=~=~=~
We had too much time a while ago, but not enough time now. - Chris Ledoux
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  9:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And so it starts... first scratchbuild plan on paper. A 50-ton ice house for Bristol paper construction. 14x20 and 96 to the plate. Two doors in one gable end. There will be a ladder (styrene or wood) and a beam (wood) projecting at the peak with a well wheel to raise and lower blocks. Louvered roof vent. Not sure on roofing material yet. Still deciding on a foundation. Card will be backed with wood bracing.

Two things...

Painting/weathering the Bristol concerns me a bit, but probably shouldnt.

And...

I briefly considered gluing individual Bristol clapboards on a Bristol backing, but Im leaning towards scoring the card to represent the siding. Any thoughts here?

This should be fun!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  11:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan

I think you will get a much neater look if you scribe the Bristol board.

Regarding a stone foundation, more than one modeler here has used balsa foam with good results.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for suggesting balsa foam, Mike. I just may give that a go.

Scoring the siding on the Bristol is definitely the way to go. Scale 1x6s in paper started to make me question my sanity and looked too out of scale. Or like a 'caricature' of clapboard siding. It looks like I'll be able to get nice looking siding by scoring the Bristol.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  09:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll put a little build thread in either the craftsman corner or scratchbuilding sub-forum so guys can have a chuckle... but here's where I am with my little ice house after a few false starts.

I went back to cutting 1x6 'hemlock' board siding (not clapboard) from manila. Scribing the Bristol wasn't giving as good a look as I had hoped. This is like board on board... except you get to make every damn board. I'll see this through, but until I find a better way to do siding, I'll move on to wood or styrene for the next structures. Samantha actually has one of those Silhouette cutters that might make working in card a little less tedious. Other than cutting out all the 1x6s, this is pretty fun.

I think it has a good look. Not too neat, but not run down. I'm trying to decide what to do for the doors... This is just a mock-up.

R
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  07:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be nutty...

1x6s are huge compared to cutting 1x3s. :)

Then... I wasn't satisfied with how the door looked, so I did it again.

Better, but I'm not sure the door is as neat and tidy as I'd like. I keep pushing on, but need to think on this. I may be at the limit of my ability... or the limit of the material... to make something very precised and clean. I'm liking the siding, but I don't think I'm satisfied with the doors. Maybe paint will pull it together? Here's what I'm going for:

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  08:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its very difficult to get perfect evenness unless you use scale lumber, which is milled with a high precision. The problem then can be that laid side by side they make such a smooth surface that individual boards cannot be seen. Looks to me that your example uses milled sheetwood, so boards are well-defined by grooves and very even.

I think as you progress and build more models you will discover what materials you like best. Experimentation is a good thing. Its at the root of experience and expertise.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 02/27/2020 08:32:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  12:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike's point is well taken. Some modelers lay individual boards over milled scaled siding to get an even spacing. I did once on a lightly painted building so I could get ride of the grain in the Milled wood.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

brian budeit
New Hire

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  4:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

Keep going with it, it will look good. Making things over is part of the process. If you need three of something, make four and pick the best. It makes you a better modeler.Model Railroader magazine had an author years ago who made turn of the century buildings out of bristol board. Very nice work.
I'm hoping someone with more experience in what you're using will chime in, but I'd try sealing the building with a couple of coats of grey primer from a spray can. Let the coats dry, and you should be O K for the finish coats, even using water based paint.
If you're not 100% with your door, model it open, if opened into the building it will look fine. Have a worker coming out with a block of ice.....

brian b
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8255 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  4:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brian budeit

....Model Railroader magazine had an author years ago who made turn of the century buildings out of bristol board. ...

I think that's Jack Work, who wrote extensively for MR in the '60s and '70s.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  4:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back in the day, Rob Corriston wrote several articles for RMC and other places using scribed card.
Go to Top of Page

brian budeit
New Hire

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  8:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Michael is correct, it was Rob Corriston. He would cut everything, windows, doors, trim, from bristol board. Pretty sure one of his projects was re done as a laser cut wood kit, reviewed in the Gazette maybe a year or so ago.

brian b
Go to Top of Page

brian budeit
New Hire

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  10:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

your reference to the Jack Work articles is also correct, I could have phrased my reply better than I did. My exposure to Jack Work was MR's "Freight Cars You Can Build" purchaced as a 12 year old. Jack had some articles in there, and the fine construction used wood and card.

brian b
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000