Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  9:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depot? Too fancy for this layout? Or too ‘cute’?

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  9:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Is this an HOn3 kit or an HO conversion? Off to eBay...

It’s an HOn3 kit. They turn up on EBay but you’d have to be careful because I think both inside and outside frame versions were made.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  11:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it based on a prototype? The depot reminds me of the one in Alderson PA in having fancy brackets. I think ones in tourist areas were a bit fancier than the average rural depot.

I like the basic lines but not so much the fancy bits under the overhang. They don’t look real to me and could be left off, especially if the depot serves an ordinary small town.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

It’s an HOn3 kit. They turn up on EBay but you’d have to be careful because I think both inside and outside frame versions were made.

That is true. Both inside and outside frame were made.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The depot is a Micro-Scale kit, and his structures are mostly either northcentral Pennsylvania prototypes (Lopez depot) or inspired by them. This is just called "Small Town Station". I've seen several prototypes with the nordic ridge gingerbread, which I like, but I'm not sure I'm liking the other trim. The kit itself is really nice. I'll build it and see what I think.

R
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed it does look like a nice kit. The trim on the roof ridge is certainly appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  10:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya think it's just the overhang brackets? The gingerbread at the gable peak doesn't bother me as much.

Also... I had thought of painting it entirely mineral red, which would lessen the impact of the trim considerably. The online photo from the seller was a front-on shot of the track side, so the fancy trim wasn't apparent. The proportions are great, and I like the nordic roof ridge trim.

Scratching the Werley depot is really appealing too. The grounded narrow gauge box cars for the freight room is pretty nifty. Feels more 'working small town', though the Micro-Scale kit gives a sense of a well-financed, small narrow gauge line looking at a promising future. Hmmm....

Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  10:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the Bippus depot showing similar trim on the roof ridge. Much simpler brackets, though.

Edited by - RyanAK on 02/06/2020 10:46:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  10:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to scratch an ice house, though this cardstock kit has the right look:

I'm also looking for a good building kit to use as a small creamery. Most of the ones I've looked at are much too large. Here are some prototype milk/dairy scenes for inspiration:
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  11:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  12:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TVRR Milk Car. Ex-White Deer & Loganton. (!!)

Butter being loaded at a team track in Minnesota. Gives an idea of how off-line creameries would manage larger shipments. (BTW... the creamery that was at Werely is referred to as the 'cheese factory' several times in the Dinky book. Wisconsin. Cheese. Ha.)

Speaking of team tracks... I love 'em.

Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  12:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sticking with HOn3. (I do keep thinking about HOn30...) Another RR-L forums member - ChrisS - did a bang up job backdating a couple Blackstone Consolidations and I think it could be made to represent an earlier non-Colorado Baldwin locomotive. This will be the layout's 'big' power.

I still want a Mogul, so I'll keep an eye out for an HOn3 option that will be a good starting point to build/bash into a small eastern or mid-western locomotive. I've found a few threads that give me some confidence that this can be done. Mike Lehman managed to get a GEM New Berlin & Winfield 2-6-0 going... including DCC and sound. That's pretty remarkable. Really just need a good mechanism. The C&NW engines on the Dinky were handsome engines.

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  1:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris did an excellent job on that consolidation. That is one light mogul but I like the coach, the Coos Bay could use a couple of those in Std, Gauge of course.
I like the creameries that were built on uneven ground.I think we do too much leveling. I like that ice house, It's perfect for a small town. Finally the station is too fancy for your theme. IHM, remember them, sold some simple kit. one was a station similar to Bippus depot which is still a bit too fancy. Any of the creameries that you pictured would be a relative easy scratch-build. I really like the creamery on the upper right. Love the photos of the team tracks in use. None of the wagons are the same though two are similar. Lot of great reference shots here.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8255 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  5:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were to do HOn3, I'd be -very tempted- to look for one of the South Park Mason Bogies. I sure wish someone would do one in HO Standard Gauge!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

Faire to Midland
New Hire

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  9:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those dairy scenes are SO cool. I have been meaning to start a thread similar to the other industry threads about the dairy industry at the turn of the century. Doing some studying on it, there was a LOT of technological change in the dairy business between the 1870's and the 1930's.

https://www.idfa.org/docs/default-source/resource-library/industry-facts/milk-facts/249_milestones-of-milk.pdf?sfvrsn=ec95fba5_4

http://www.skaneateleshistoricalsociety.org/full-width-page/

I have some other creamery photos somewhere, I need to find and resize them for posting when I get a chance.

Edited by - Faire to Midland on 02/06/2020 9:27:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000