Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

railman28
Fireman

USA
5551 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  3:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Josh. The domes fit very nicely. What paint did you use for your Russian Iron, For the wood cab? The green on the frame IMHO needs to be a bit darker and you're defiantly right about those pilot truck wheels. But, again, She is looking very good.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  4:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob. I painted the boiler with a pewter gray then burnished it with graphite. It has a slightly rougher finish but it provides a varied metallic look that was typical of Russia and American iron since the "pickling" process to make those metals did not always react evenly across the surface of the sheet.

The green I chose based on John Ott's color renderings, information used by the B&O Railroad Museum in their restoration of the William Mason, and color lithographs from the period. That bright of green is acceptable for the time.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5551 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  4:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Sharp illustration. Very interesting certainly a lighter green than other renderings. It really works with the Red. Interesting to note that the water pump and Pilot beam are also the engine color. No check valves,no sand box or dome ether. A lot of brass used. The sunburst axle caps are nice too.

Thanks

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic stuff. Russian iron is really an interesting topic and I've been reading up. Current conjecture is that there were color variations, but blue wasn't one of them... production RTR models notwithstanding. The contemporary (to manufacture) documentation also consistently states a shiny, "mirror like" surface. I think the pewter and graphite make a great representation, as does Bob's work with the metalizer. Great work.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  11:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice job on the locos. Colors used back then continue to surprise.

RMC published an article decades ago on Russia iron with about a half dozen formulas for paint mixtures. Needless to say the Floquil paints are no longer available but the point is that there is a lot of agreement to disagree on what color works best.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2020 :  7:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Needless to say the Floquil paints are no longer available but the point is that there is a lot of agreement to disagree on what color works best.

Mike

This is the advise I give to everybody who asks how to replicate it. I point them to the Russia Iron page on PacificNG and recommend to use the method that works best for them, because no matter what you do, somebody is going to complain. For me, the graphite method works best out of convenience.

This weekend brings me to another Bitter Creek project. Central Pacific began building their freight cars in 1865, and while the majority of their boxcars looked more or less identical, the first batch of 1865-built cars were unique in a number of ways, including the x-bracing on the door and the block lettering. Only three photos are known of these cars, but Andrew Brandon estimates that about 48 of them were built this way.

I did the decals myself.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2020 :  7:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!!
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2020 :  8:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive modeling. I admire your dedication to the prototype.
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just completed a third variant of car built from the Bitter Creek Central Pacific boxcar kit: the caboose. CPRR built all of its cars to the same plan for its first ten years or so, including the cabooses. The big changes with this model included end doors, extra perpendicular roofwalks, and moving the brakewheel to the center of the car (presumably there is another wheel on the staff inside the car so that brakes can be set without leaving the car).

Dozens of these cabooses were built but we only know the numbers for three. There was a caboose present at Promontory Summit the week of the May 10th ceremony; I selected 600 because it's a number I know has not been recorded as belonging to any other kind of car, and it's only a few numbers from 608, which was assigned to the Humboldt Division next door.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
32338 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  4:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh, both Nos. 20 and 600 look very good. Going back to your loco, very nice job on the Russia Iron coloring.[:-thumbu]

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  11:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you like early rail operations and ever get a chance to operate in Kansas City, don't pass up a chance to operate on Don Balls's Stockton & Copperopolis RR. Set in 1891, it's a blast.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  12:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Josh. I like the caboose too.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  2:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another freight car, this time from the other end of the Transcontinental Railroad. Unlike Central Pacific's freight roster, which consisted of two master designs (flat, box) duplicated over all car types (flat, gondola, box, ventilated box, stock, caboose), Union Pacific was all over the place. I have identified six different boxcar plans, but even within the plans there were major variants. Some cars came as war surplus from the United States Military Railroad (UPRR 62 and 72, for example) while others were purchased used from other civilian routes and even more built new by various car builders.

This car started out as the B.T.S. USMRR peaked roof house car. I added some parts (grab irons, side-mounted stirrup steps, lumber door, extra side door bracing) and left some out (end beam "porches") to match one car design, which had a funky skinny lumber door on one end.

The decals for this car I made myself as with the CPRR early boxcars.

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5551 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  3:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So excellently done. I love the untypical offset end door. That is nice touch. The decal application is perfect. What trucks did you use?

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  4:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, the trucks are Bitter Creek T-30 Kimball Arch Bar.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000