New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  11:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Captured end construction was pretty common during the Civil War/Transcontinental Railroad periods; if you look closely, you'll notice that even boxcars used the method in their frame construction, particularly on the Illinois Central and Union Pacific - the rounded tips of the side sills will protrude from the siding. With boxcars, since there is an upper sill in the frame, you'll often see the sill ends near the roof line as well.
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  5:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just completed the Bitter Creek kit; it's kind of nice only having to worry about ten grab irons and limited hardware, this car assembled in about half the time it takes me to finish one of Bitter Creek's 34' and 36' boxcars.

A historical point I discovered; the instructions (and other sources quoted online) state that during the construction period, there were approximately 767 25' boxcars numbered 6 through 1540 on the roster. However, photographic evidence shows that those 767 cars were not all the same kind of car represented by the kit; interspersed, with no discernible numbering pattern, are cabooses, double door "combination" (ventilated) cars, stock cars, and X-panel door boxes. Based on the few photos with discernible carnumbers, it is known that cars 180 and 182 are stock cars, 124 and 608 were cabooses (608 was lettered "Humboldt Division"), 20 was an X-panel door with block lettering, and cars 48, 68, 74, 94, 152, 252, 272 and 296 were combination cars. Naturally there were more than these, but we are limited by the legibility of photographs since the historic records only included total numbers of cars.

The instructions state that by 1878 the number was reduced to 670 cars numbered 180 through 1540, but I wonder if the cars were consolidated and renumbered by type sometime around then.

Of course once again the photos revealed some bare spots where the paint was missed, so I have patched those up since this picture was taken.

Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  8:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really excellent. I really like that little kit.
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  8:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a Rivarossi 4-4-0 in pristine condition at a local train show over the weekend for $45. When I got it home I discovered that the previous owner had already re-motored it and installed DCC, so best $45 I've spent at a show so far.

What this means though is that I now have three project 4-4-0s to work on, so on a hike this morning I harvested some brush to cut down into wood fuel loads for the tenders. This particular species of plant looks very much like old-growth aspen. I also collected some twigs that look like douglas fir, another common wood source in the Basin-and-Range environment that makes up most of Utah Territory. Since these early railroads just burned whatever fuel they could get, I cut a selection of whole logs as well as split trunks.

This is the easy part of modeling 1870s locomotives; I need to do artwork for the decals next.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  10:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The boxcar looks good. And what a deal on the locomotive!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your boxcar came out sharp. I really like those kits too. they really look good mixed in with my 28 footers. Did you add weight too them? How much?

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  3:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gentlemen. I did put a bit of weight in it, in the form of spent balls from flintlock rifles collected at a mountain main rendezvous a few years back, but not a lot. With the metal trucks and metal bolsters, plus Bitter Creek's solid engineering behind the bodies, they track pretty well even when under the NMRA standard.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  6:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Josh. I usually do not add any extra weight and have no problem with house, cattle and such cars keeping to the track but I belt a bunch of RGM 28' flatcars that have metal wheels but no other metal weight. They fly off the track at will. I call them my Micky Cars because if they ride the rails, anything will. I'm going to add so weight to them to see if I can improve their tracking. I added the weight that Jeff suggested for the boxcars and find them too heavy.
I'm planning on removing the weight.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  12:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never actually painted a locomotive any color other than black, so this tender shell was a real adventure. It turned out pretty good though.

I'm turning the Rivarossi 4-4-0 into a reasonable stand-in for Central Pacific's number 113 "Falcon." The Falcon was built by Danforth Cooke & Co., so I selected the colors based on John Ott's research into the company's paint practices.

I used Rock Island Maroon for the main color and Microscale's U.S. Military Railroads decal set for the pintstriping. I have a lettering set on order to finish it off.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  08:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very sharp. I like the color red you used.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  1:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tender looks sharp. I have highly value John's work too. What trucks are you going to use?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 01/28/2020 1:58:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  3:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the originals, but with new 28" wheelsets. I have read that Rivarossi measured wheel diameter from the flange, rather than from the tread, so that results in the lowrider look their 4-4-0 tenders are famous for.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  9:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tintic Range

Probably the originals, but with new 28" wheelsets. I have read that Rivarossi measured wheel diameter from the flange, rather than from the tread, so that results in the lowrider look their 4-4-0 tenders are famous for.

Something like that. They were done in 1/72 scale and since the motor had to fit into the tender they made it about a foot too tall and then tried to compensate with smaller wheels.
As John has demonstrated they can be turned into fine models. Danforth used a very different truck design. But, it's your railroad.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  11:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tintic Range

a reasonable stand-in for Central Pacific's number 113 "Falcon."

Regarding the trucks, this phrase is key. If I wanted an accurate model, I'd scratchbuild it.
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  2:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In regards to the CPRR Falcon project -

I did a test fitting of the major components today. There are still some small things to do - I am working on decals for the painting panels on the sand dome, and of course plenty more pinstriping. The tender and pilot truck wheels will be replaced shortly with wheels of a larger diameter. I hope to one day match the skill of some of you folks on here with your locomotive paint jobs, but for a first attempt I don't think it's too bad so far.

As mentioned before, I'm just going for a reasonable stand-in, not an accurate model in this case.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000