Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Question for Lou or others, MDC Climax kit bash
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steve turner
Engine Wiper

326 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  01:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using Lous kit bash as a tutorial, very good.Question I have cut the fake tent like logs off. Do you think I could have an oil bunker instead of wood?, or is that stupid and not fitting.The bunker lid from a shay kit would fit perfect with about 1/4 inch left for maybe a water tank lid and hatch.What do you think.Or I can use the Shay bunker lid and hatch and there is room for airtank behind it. The oli bunker lid actually straddles the wood sides of the log bin perfectly. Any thoughts..just having fun with the kit and extras. I managed to glue the wheel gears for now, the NWSL gears are 59.00USA so I shall sleep on that.Thanks.Steve

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve, there is no reason you can't make an oil burner out of your kit. See pictures below.
And if it is a backshop build, then any idea will work, as its your railroad.
Many railroads changed over to oil from coal or wood because it was easiest to handle, and store at the point of use, required the least amount of fixed facilities (no tipples, just a pipe, no fires to drop, grates to clean, clogged tubes, or clinkers), transports the easiest, burns the cleanest, resulted in the least maintenance requirements (and the longest boiler/firebox maintenance cycles), and was cheapest, even when not local.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8022 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  11:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Additionally, oil was much less likely to throw sparks and start a fire, a huge consideration for lumber railroads!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3421 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the cleanest since it's bunker C oil. The fireman would occasionally hold a shovel of sand in front of the firebox to draw sand through the flues to clean them out. Even oil will soot up your flues. Anybody have an oil furnace to heat you house with? Ever see the inside of one after a winter of use? It's been said that it would send the chickens to roost at midday. I've also ridden behind the Cass oil fired engines and they due put out some smoke going up hill.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  12:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, "(burns the cleanest)" compared to the use of the coal and wood locomotives. And, definitely as Dave pointed out, it sure was a headache relief for the loggers.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

326 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  2:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks lou and others.Those pictures is there water storage and oil storage?? Bit confused
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  5:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I don't know about the cleanest since it's bunker C oil. The fireman would occasionally hold a shovel of sand in front of the firebox to draw sand through the flues to clean them out. Even oil will soot up your flues. Anybody have an oil furnace to heat you house with? Ever see the inside of one after a winter of use? It's been said that it would send the chickens to roost at midday. I've also ridden behind the Cass oil fired engines and they due put out some smoke going up hill.

Bernd

When an oil burning steam locomotive is left sitting in a yard for a while, there is less demand for steam and so the fire within the fire box is maintained at a lower temperature. This results in a buildup of carbon within the tubes and flues. As soon as the engine gets out on to the mainline, it is a common practice to "sand her out". The fireman will pass small amounts of sand into the fire box, (Just like the wind blowing the sand around on the beach, also the wind created by the fire's draft through the "tubes" sucks the sand right off the shovel) and the sand itself gets blown through the tubes and flues and then out the stack, and this is what keeps the tubes and flues clean and free of carbon.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  7:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve turner

Thanks lou and others.Those pictures is there water storage and oil storage?? Bit confused

Your Climax locomotive is a type of locomotive that produces its pulling power through a steam engine. These locomotives are fueled by burning combustible material, usually coal, wood, or oil, AND water, to produce steam in a boiler. The steam moves reciprocating pistons which are mechanically connected to the locomotive's main wheels (drivers). Both fuel and water supplies are carried on the locomotive. Most times in a split tank carrying Fuel on one side, and water in the other side.
Oil burning locomotives in the steam era mainly used "Bunker C" fuel oil. (Bunker C is also known as Type 6 or Number 6) fuel oil. The oil tank is equipped with steam heat coils to heat the fuel before combustion. This is done to keep the oil viscosity such that the oil can flow freely to the combustion chamber. Bunker C fuel oil is very thick and difficult to use without pre-heating. The fire in an oil-burning locomotive is controlled with two valves: The fuel valve, which controls the flow of oil to the atomizer, and the atomizer valve, which controls the steam to force the oil into small droplets for burning. Foe example picture shows a tender with the water section and the oil section.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

326 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou and friends is there a specific bell and whistle I could up grade to for the climax detail..i made it an oil burner and I am just thinking of the finer details.Anything from Calscale you may suggest. Thanks.Steve
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve turner

Lou and friends is there a specific bell and whistle I could up grade to for the climax detail..i made it an oil burner and I am just thinking of the finer details.Anything from Calscale you may suggest. Thanks.Steve

I'm sorry Steve, I can't get a real picture of this Cary Part. But this drawing is the only thing out there. Cary #13-164 is a fine looking Bell and Whistle for the 1920's era.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

steve turner
Engine Wiper

326 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  4:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lou..i am on it. Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: