BigLars 2020 Group Challenge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  5:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am throwing my hat in the ring for the challenge presented.

So here's how it works: Simply choose any combination of projects from the "menu" below to add up to two credits. Most individual projects are worth 1 credit; a few others are worth 2 credits. Once you have chosen your project(s), let us know what they are in the Challenge Thread. Then complete your selected project(s) as you have time throughout the next few months. The only catch is you have to have them all finished to receive credit by Thursday, April 30 2020. Work can commence immediately and I will open the Challenge Thread and Final Pictures Thread by January 1st.

Two-Credit Cafeteria Menu

1. Build a structure from a kit. 1 credit for ‘simple’ kit, 2 credits for ‘complex’ kit

2. Build and detail a piece of rolling stock from a kit. 1 credit

3. Scratchbuild a piece of rolling stock, any era, scale/gauge, from styrene, wood, or resin. 1 credit for the basic car (including lettering/numbering), 1 additional credit for complete undercarriage and topside detailing

4. Finish an orphaned project you started and then abandoned. 1 credit

5. Create your own detail parts (drums, barrels, boxes, etc.) from Sculpey clay or other material of your choice. A minimum of 10 detail parts to qualify. 1 credit

6. Build a model using non-traditional materials or materials new to you. 1 credit

7. Peanut Butter Lid Scene.
The rules
A - You must create a small diorama in a peanut butter lid, or any other lid as long as the diameter doesn't exceed 4 inch
B - It can be any scale 2 credits

8. Create a mini-scene and populate it with LBP's for a larger diorama or layout. 1 credit

I want to try to cover as many things on this list as I can using the Peanut Butter Lid rules.

I want to use this picture as a loose premise for the challenge.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 12/29/2019 5:05:26 PM

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  5:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it is almost impossible to edit a first post...

I missed these two items from the list in the copy and past of the points.

9. Design a jig, tool, method, or special item that solves a modeling problem. 1 credit

10. Create a sketch of a structure and then scratch build it. 1 credit

My current build:
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  5:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9. Design a jig, tool, method, or special item that solves a modeling problem. 1 credit

Up first is creating the push cart. I had two ways to go. Scratch build out of wood or us some white metal kits I was able to acquire. The kits were not well designed and there was a lot of slack in the joints which would not hold ACC.

The solution was to build a soldering jig to hold the parts square while I used low temp solder to fill the gaps and joint the part's together.

The Jig

Jig with wagon frame.

Three cars started. I will do different loads for the lid.

My current build:

Edited by - BigLars on 12/29/2019 5:26:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11947 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you didn't waste anytime!

Great start.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  6:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Well you didn't waste anytime!

Great start.

I will have very limited time at home this year so I need to make it count. [:-angel]

My current build:
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow 4" round in British O scale is not a lot of real estate. First test disk.

My current build:
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5727 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  7:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the saying goes, “if you can’t build out build up.” Or in your case, build down.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15478 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  8:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting response to the challenge.

George
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  10:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Larry I posted this statement and question for you in the Crew Lounge thread, so here goes again. And you are right, in HO we can pack in a lot more than you using "O" gauge. (That should give you 10 credits, you think?)
I suggest Peanut Butter Lid myself, so that's the direction I'll be going in also. I always liked how modelers could pack so much in a small area.
However, I'm interested in a little history on the use of these type of carts if you could indulge me.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11466 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  10:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Well Larry I posted this statement and question for you in the Crew Lounge thread, so here goes again. And you are right, in HO we can pack in a lot more than you using "O" gauge. (That should give you 10 credits, you think?)
I suggest Peanut Butter Lid myself, so that's the direction I'll be going in also. I always liked how modelers could pack so much in a small area.
However, I'm interested in a little history on the use of these type of carts if you could indulge me.

Two foot gauge trains were used extensively in WW1. Steam trains moved items to and from the front to within Artillery range, 6 miles from no mans land. The smoke gave away the positions to the gunners. The trains were then broken up and moved to within a mile or two of no mans land by Petrol driven locomotives. At this point in time it was also unsafe for the petrol engines as they could be heard. Everything from there forward was moved on these small man or mule powered carts, then by hand. There are many photos of these carts being used on the Western front. Most of the movement happened at night.

My current build:
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  10:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting and informative for me. Thanks Larry! [:-thumbu]

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

ironflyer
Fireman

USA
1312 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will see what I can do. By then I’ll have the three boxcars done, and a couple locos to finish to pick from, oldest one first,

Thanks Larry,

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000