Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
32306 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2019 :  1:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in 2005, Mike Chambers came up with a ‘Choices Challenge’ he called the “Two Credit Café”.

The idea was for participants to accumulate two credits by choosing items to complete off a “Café Menu”. Some projects were worth 1 credit and a few more complicated projects were worth 2 credits. That was our fifth group challenge.

We had so many good ideas presented this year for the challenge that I thought we could accommodate most of them by using Mike’s structure once again.

So here's how it works: Simply choose any combination of projects from the "menu" below to add up to two credits. Most individual projects are worth 1 credit; a few others are worth 2 credits. Once you have chosen your project(s), let us know what they are in the Challenge Thread. Then complete your selected project(s) as you have time throughout the next few months. The only catch is you have to have them all finished to receive credit by Thursday, April 30 2020. Work can commence immediately and I will open the Challenge Thread and Final Pictures Thread by January 1st.

Two-Credit Cafeteria Menu

1. Build a structure from a kit. 1 credit for ‘simple’ kit, 2 credits for ‘complex’ kit

2. Build and detail a piece of rolling stock from a kit. 1 credit

3. Scratchbuild a piece of rolling stock, any era, scale/gauge, from styrene, wood, or resin. 1 credit for the basic car (including lettering/numbering), 1 additional credit for complete undercarriage and topside detailing

4. Finish an orphaned project you started and then abandoned. 1 credit

5. Create your own detail parts (drums, barrels, boxes, etc.) from Sculpey clay or other material of your choice. A minimum of 10 detail parts to qualify. 1 credit

6. Build a model using non-traditional materials or materials new to you. 1 credit

7. Peanut Butter Lid Scene.
The rules
A - You must create a small diorama in a peanut butter lid, or any other lid as long as the diameter doesn't exceed 4 inch
B - It can be any scale 2 credits

8. Create a mini-scene and populate it with LBP's for a larger diorama or layout. 1 credit

9. Design a jig, tool, method, or special item that solves a modeling problem. 1 credit

10. Create a sketch of a structure and then scratch build it. 1 credit

Bruce

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11536 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  11:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in for the Peanut butter lid challenge or a mini scene and something to get an extra point. What ever I do will fold into my WW1 layout.

Edited by - BigLars on 12/29/2019 4:50:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
11053 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  11:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to have the April 30th end time, it gives the income tax procrastinators some time to finish up....

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1194 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  2:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just curious - what are these 'credits'? Can you do anything with them? Or are they just 'pats on the back'?

On that note - I see 4, 6, and 10 all having the potential to be deserving of either one or two credits - depending on the complexity and size, and in the case of 4, how much work is left to do.

Regardless - once my new drawing box/ board arrives (my Christmas present) I'll start sketching out my plan.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11536 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to use this picture as a loose premise for the challenge. I will work on Peanut butter or other lid at 4" in O scale.

Up first is creating the push cart. I had two ways to go. Scratch build out of wood or us some white metal kits I was able to acquire. The kits were not well designed and there was a lot of slack in the joints which would not hold ACC.

The solution was to build a soldering jig to hold the parts square while I used low temp solder to fill the gaps and joint the part's together.

The Jig

Jig with wagon frame.

Three cars started.

Edited by - BigLars on 12/29/2019 5:25:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15648 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  9:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You go there Larry! I suggest Peanut Butter Lid myself, so that's the direction I'll be going in also. I always liked how modelers could pack so much in a small area.
However, I'm interested in a little history on the use of these type of carts if you could indulge me.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11536 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  10:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

You go there Larry! I suggest Peanut Butter Lid myself, so that's the direction I'll be going in also. I always liked how modelers could pack so much in a small area.
However, I'm interested in a little history on the use of these type of carts if you could indulge me.

Two foot gauge trains were used extensively in WW1. Steam trains moved items to and from the front to within Artillery range, 6 miles from no mans land. The smoke gave away the positions to the gunners. The trains were then broken up and moved to within a mile or two of no mans land by Petrol driven locomotives. At this point in time it was also unsafe for the petrol engines as they could be heard. Everything from there forward was moved on these small man or mule powered carts then by hand. There are many photos of these carts being used on the Western front. Most of the movement happened at night.
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15648 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  10:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Two foot gauge trains were used extensively in WW1. Steam trains moved items to and from the front to within Artillery range, 6 miles from no mans land. The smoke gave away the positions to the gunners. The trains were then broken up and moved to within a mile or two of no mans land by Petrol driven locomotives. At this point in time it was also unsafe for the petrol engines as they could be heard. Everything from there forward was moved on these small man or mule powered carts then by hand. There are many photos of these carts being used on the Western front. Most of the movement happened at night.

Very interesting and informative for me. Thanks Larry! [:-thumbu]

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

robert goslin
Fireman

Australia
2269 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  10:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
In selection number 8, what are LBP's ?

And number 4. I have one of those. It's called a layout.

Regards
Rob Goslin

A Warped Barrel is a Fool's Frustration - Maxwell Smart.
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1194 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  12:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice start, Larry.

It looks to be a very interesting diorama you're undertaking there - with the potential for loads of detail in a very small space.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

ScottM
New Hire

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  2:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've been luring too long so I will give it a shot. I have a couple projects I've been wanting to put together. One is based on a picture of a greasy spoon posted by Thomas Yorke years ago. His was in O but I am trying it in HO. The other is an old cabin I tried to build from scratch many, many years ago when I was a kid.

I've included the pic of the Thomas Yorke structure that will be the base of the greasy spoon

Download Attachment: busnew.jpg
150 KB
Go to Top of Page

Larryc
Engine Wiper

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott welcome to the forum. Glad to see that your jumping right-in. The "greasy-spoon" looks like a great project. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
32306 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  2:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Hello
In selection number 8, what are LBP's ?

Rob, I think that Mike C. often referred to our scale figures as "Little Bitty People".

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

robert goslin
Fireman

Australia
2269 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  9:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce. Thamks for the clarification. Only ever heard them referred to as LP, so thought maybe it was something else.

And a Happy New Year to all those participating in the Challenge.
I'm yet to decide what I will do.

Regards
Rob Goslin

A Warped Barrel is a Fool's Frustration - Maxwell Smart.
Go to Top of Page

mhdishere
Crew Chief

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  08:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if one were to sketch a structure and scratch-build it, then incorporate that structure into a mini-scene and populate it with LPB (I recall the term as Little Plastic Beings (so it included animals) or Little Plastic B*stards (because they could be a PITA to paint)), would that satisfy the two-credit requirement?

I'm really tempted to try the peanut butter lid challenge, but I also have an idea I want to explore for an up-coming layout that wouldn't fit on a PB lid.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
32306 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would indeed, Mark.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic