Jump in, fella!!
Go to Top of Page

robchant
Fireman

Canada
1184 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ryan,

Here's my attempt at the design and operations of Werley Station. I found a small map online that I used for the design, and also found a topo map of the area to fill in more details. Of course I altered a few features, most notably was putting the stock yard and pulpwood lot on a separate spur track. I also made the creamery rail-served, and gave it both an ice house (the jut-out in the building) and a milk loading platform.

As we both agreed, this is not going to work as an end-of-line station without having a run-around. I think that adding just a spur keeps things a bit closer to the feel of the original track arrangement, than it does with an added passing track. (It also doesn't work that well in your 6-foot space.)

Here's the track plan:

Some overview shots of the layout:

And a few 3D screen captures:

OPERATIONS:

I also want to add some of my thoughts on operations. The one thing I didn't want was for the turntable to have to be used during switching moves. I also had to coming up with a way to deal with the creamery being served from the mainline.

Detailed Steps:

-- At the beginning of an op-session, I see cars only on the spur track, spotted on the previous day. It might be a few stock cars and a loaded pulpwood car or two, but that would be all that is left in town from the previous session.

-- When today's mixed comes into town, it arrives on the track behind the station (I will call it the north track.) The train must arrive with the reefer car for the creamery and the coach as the last two cars in the consist.

-- The loco uncouples from the train, runs thru the west switch and pulls onto the TT where it is turned. (The loco shouldn't have to use the TT, or the west switch again.)

-- After turning, the loco runs down the mainline (south track) past the station and the east turnout, then reverses direction and the east switch is thrown for the siding.

-- The reefer car and coach are uncoupled from the rear of the train and the loco pulls them thru the east switch, then reverses direction.

-- The reefer is spotted on at the ice house and the coach is spotted in front of the station.

-- The loco runs thru the east switch again, the switch is thrown for the north track, and the crew starts working the stock yard and pulpwood lot. (The crew might also spot a LCL box car at the rear of the station if needed.)

-- Now that the passengers have disembarked the coach, and the spur track has been worked, it is time to start building the outbound train.

-- The first thing the crew needs to do is to get the coach on the other side of the now "iced" reefer on the mainline so the coach is the last car on the train. That is done but using the coach as a handle (between the loco and reefer) and the reefer is set out temporarily on the north track.

-- The loco and coach run eastward thru the east switch and reverse direction, then the switch is thrown for the mainline. The loco runs forward until the coach clears the switch, and the coach is left on the mainline near the station.

-- The loco grabs the reefer from the north track and after tacking it onto the coach, the two cars are pushed westward pass the west switch.

-- The coach is then left on the mainline close to the TT, and the iced reefer is spotted at the milk loading platform for loading.

-- The loco pulls forward under the water tank, and after topping off the tank the loco is left near the station while the crew takes a break (goes for beans).

-- Once the break is over and any LCL freight is loaded, the crew grabs all outbound cars that were left on the north track.

-- The cars are moved to the mainline, coupled onto the now loaded reefer, then pushed west to couple onto the coach.

-- Once the eastbound train is assembled, the crew moves east until the coach is in front of the station where it stops to load outbound passengers.

-- After the passengers are onboard, the mixed daily heads east (for the staging cassette) on its scheduled departure time.

Take care,
Rob.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  12:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really impressive, Rob! The spur might definitely be the way to go as I think the additional double-ended siding and itís associated switches takes up too much room in a 72Ē layout. The operations are really well thought out too. I think this track arrangement feels very authentic for an early, rural narrow gauge terminus. Swap around the industries and scenery and it could be anywhere. I like it a lot. Well done!

I guess as a station rather than a terminus the prototype Werley was switched both eastbound and westbound and built trains on the main. As a terminal, in 72Ē, this is probably the best arrangement. Thanks, Rob!
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  1:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, you are the master. But just swap the pulp wood and the creamery and see how it looks. I like how you wraped the stream along the front edge. That was a nice touch.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Hawghead
Section Hand

58 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  1:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I messed around in xTrackCad with the extended Iota plan and with the 18" limit on depth there just isn't enough room to really make the industries work. With the 18" depth limit you're kind of stuck with a through the middle track arrangement as Bob has done. (He does such nice work doesn't he) I think in the long run, Bob's design is the one to go with.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.
Go to Top of Page

robchant
Fireman

Canada
1184 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  07:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan: Glad you like the design, it was actually nice to see it coming together so well and creating a layout that has lots of visual appeal in a small space. And you're right, by swapping out the scenic features and types of industries this could represent pretty much any small end-of-line station. And as you also noted, while it can be a generic location, it also has an authentic feel to it.

Bob: I realize you would rather the bigger structures to the rear (and I do agree having the out front can create issues) but my goal was to stay close to the original arrangement at Werley. The saving grace is that the left end of the layout sees little action, as most switching is preformed at the right end. Having the creamery on an angle also helps with spotting cars there. Although the church appears in the map I worked from, I am not sure that I would include it.

Scott: I was assuming the structures Ryan had planned to go with the Iota design were going to be a tight fit for the space as well. I was planning to move onto that one next, but I see that you saved me the effort. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  09:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the new layout is an improvement with the extra turnout eliminated. Also, not having the turntable function as a turnout.

Having the west turnout in front of the creamery means the reefer fouls the turnout when spotted, but I guess as long as the reefer is turned quickly all is well.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/12/2020 3:14:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  1:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the continued input. I like how this one works. Rod has a gift for making these plans come alive.

Scott, thanks for taking a look. I may still look for a good, small, authentic-feeling plan for that planing mill since I really am enamored with some of those timber industry models. Iím also on my 5th throwaway design for a tannery one-industry layout. Ha.

Mike, Iíve also been looking closely at that west turnout being fouled. But with Robís ops plan, by the time the milk car is spotted, that turnout doesnít get used. I think it would probably be fine, but I have looked at it several times.

Just curious if anyone knows the dimension for an HOn3 turnout from points to where the diverging tracks would have cars clear? I have 7.5Ē in my notes but Iím not sure thatís accurate.

Fun stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  3:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan

I was thinking more of the situation where the reefer had to be left behind (itís always good to build in some variety) when the train left town. The incoming train would now have to deal with the reefer at the creamery in addition to the two cars on the spur. However Iíve already figured out that the locomotive could pull the reefer and place it on the spur to get it out of the way temporarily. So no problem even with wrinkle.

Rob has posited a good plan and op sequence. In addition youíre probably going to want to build in some flexibility.

Check here for templates: https://www.handlaidtrack.com/track-templates-hon3-turnouts

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/12/2020 3:30:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, I must admit having he creamery up front does a good job of framing the scene.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  6:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. Four considerations I was pondering while running errands this afternoon..

1. Iíd think about taking the creamery off-line and having milk cans loaded at/near the depot as in the prototype. Keep a small icehouse on the track for icing milk car and receiving inbound reefers of ice if not cut from local ponds. Keeping the creamery offline adds flexibility to where the milk car needs to be spotted if thereís a busy day in Werley.

2. IF there was room beyond the west turnout for the locomotive and (2) cars, I think the spur could be eliminated and the layout operated like the prototype. Including having a caboose in the consist. Still working this out... the turntable sorta jams things out.

3. Cars in the consist for other locations on the line would add interest and challenge even if theyíre not being spotted in Werley. Say, a coal dealer the next town down valley has a facing spur on the trainís way to Werley and must be switched on the way back would allow the occasional gondola to show up.

4. Pulpwood area is also a team track.

I really am liking how simple, authentic, and interesting 72Ēx18Ē with staging can be. And only three turnouts. Maybe two. Staging as a switching lead is key.

Fun stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  10:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

You could move the turntable to the spur and have the track you need beyond the west turnout.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  12:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turnout size - Print this out for a guide. Only an example as #4 or #6 are both on the site as well.

Neil Erickson
Go to Top of Page

robchant
Fireman

Canada
1184 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  3:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike: My thinking was just as you mention when I was planning the layout and I assumed the reefer would be iced and loaded with milk on the same trip. (I'm also assuming the traffic to the creamery would be a daily event.) There really would be no reason (that I can see) why it would be left at the ice house for an extended period of time. Even if left behind to be picked up the next day, the creamery staff would move it manually from the ice house to the loading dock after it was iced, so the switch would not be blocked when the inbound train needed it. (I have actually been waiting for James to chime in on this one, he usually has some insight that I didn't consider.)

Bob: Still not an ideal situation to have big structures up front, but when it does happen, it is best to lessen their impact.

Ryan: I can't wait to see your operating plan with only two turnouts in town. The issues caused by the train's arrival can be solved by leaving the train "outside the town" and coming in light with just the loco to do some switching before taking the bulk of the train in. However, I still see issues when the train is getting ready to depart, so I am eager to see what you have planned.

Were you able to locate maps of Woodman and/or Fennimore? From what I read, Woodman was the turning point of the line and it did have a turntable, it also had a stock yard and an interchange. I just can't find a detail track map.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  4:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More great stuff.

Rob, I'm almost done with the ops, will have to draw some sketches to go along with it. Then see if it would fit in the space. As you say, part of the 'secret sauce' is coming in light from staging. Or having the train'peek' into town from staging, seeing the car left on the main ("No one told us they left the milk car there!"), backing back to staging to decouple, then coming back into town light.

Oh, how dramatic!

While not ideal to have structures up front in most instances, I do think they can be handy to frame scenes on the layout, and that's really the sort of modeling I'm interested in. Storytelling.

I'm desperately trying to find more info on Woodman and Fennimore. There's a book about the line called 'The Dinky' that I may pick up... but generally unless I know the sort of info in a railroad book I'm not a buyer. Often the kind of lines I'm interested in are done by the local 'historian', not railroad-centric, and are more nostalgia than anything else.

Aw hell, $18 on Amazon. Why not. https://www.amazon.com/Dinky-NW-Narrow-Gauge-Wisconsin/dp/0963769707
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000