Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too, Like that planning mill. BTS's kit(most of the Mc Cabe series buildings) is based on a series of articles that appeared in MRC years back. It's one of the things I wish I had room for.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Itís definitely a consideration, but maybe not as a stand-alone industry as the only thing on a 72Ēx18Ē layout.

Now, a PULP MILL isnít something that I really considered for a single industry until I saw the car traffic it can generate. I havenít come across any pulp mills in the geographic locations Iíve been looking at... but thatís probably because I wasnít specifically searching them out, not that they didnít exist. Lookie here:

B.T.S. #24095 'Hyde Pulp Mill'

HO 24.83"x13.10" as designed - re-arrange or use portions of kit

Car Traffic - Incoming
* Pulpwood - Flats, Gons or Box (2) loads per day
* Bags of chemicals - Box (1) weekly
* Drums of chemicals - Box, Gons or Flats (1) weekly
* Parts or equipment - Box, Gons of Flats as needed
* Narrow or Standard

Outgoing
* Pulp slabs - Box (1) weekly
* Turpentine - Tank (1) every two weeks
* Drums of extracts - Box (1) monthly
* Bark - Box, Flat, Gon (2) weekly
* Narrow or Standard

Much bigger, lots of diversified traffic in and out.

And a handsome structure.

Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  8:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tannery. BIG little industry. Even on 18Ēx72Ēand as the only thing included I donít think an entire rural Pennsylvania tannery could be modeled. They sure are interesting, though. And generate enough car traffic to keep an early 1900s one-industry layout interesting to operate. Iíd need to scratch build this, come up with a reasonable track layout, and only model the portions of the tannery associated with the railroad and enough of the large buildings (like the beam house) to make the mass of the industry obviously implied. It sure would be something. I doubt this is what Iíll build, but Iím definitely going to draw it. Maybe once I see it in 3D on SketchUp Iíll be convinced to give it a try. Look at the car traffic! And all with specific locations to be spotted. (Still researching... if you have corrections or something to add, please let me know!)

Car Traffic - Incoming
* Hides - Hide Box several each day, or very large weekly shipments
* Bark - Flat, Gon many each day
* Bags of chemicals - Box (1) weekly
* Fuel (coal or chips) - Hopper, Gon (2 or more?) weekly
* Drums of chemicals - Box, Gons or Flats (1) weekly
* Salt?
* Lime?
* Tanks of Chemicals?
* Parts or equipment - Box, Gons or Flats as needed
* Sundries - Box (1) weekly
* Narrow or Standard Gauge
Outgoing
* Finished Leather - Box (3) daily or larger weekly shipments
* Fleshings- Gons? Box? (2) daily or large weekly shipments
* Other by-products?
* Most likely Standard Gauge

Neat!
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  1:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tanneries, a great industry to model. Lot's of in and outs with simple but colorful barn like structures mixed with more traditional commercial architecture. Just don't model their aroma.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  3:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No aroma! Figuring out how to fit a reasonably-sized tannery in 130í x 522í with interesting operation and a good representation of a 1900s tannery will be a fun challenge.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  3:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I built a tannery for our club layout based on one in West Virginia:

The original buildings were longer but the models capture the look. I also built a bark shed but removed it because the layout is set in the 1950ís.

Iím not sure when tanneries switched from bark to chemicals such a chrome compounds. I have a copy of a friendís dissertation that covers tanneries, chemical plants and merchant blast furnaces from the standpoint of resource use. You might be able to dispense with bark sheds altogether.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/05/2020 4:08:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  8:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have photos of your model saved in my Ďindustryí file, Mike, along with pics of the prototype. Really well done. If I do a tannery, I really want to include the enormous bark piles. I havenít decided on sheds or open piles stacked to shed weather, but Iím leaning towards no shed. I think that would make the model feel more Ďiconicí.

I know very little about merchant furnaces, but itís on my list to research. There were quite a few in the area here. Ditto lime kilns.

This stuff is fun.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hereís a great photo of a tannery on Lake Superior. Similar architecture to some tanneries in PA, and you get a sense of the rail operations. LOTS of detail you can zoom into of the high resolution file. Has me thinking...

Go to Top of Page

robchant
Fireman

Canada
1184 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ryan,

I wonder if the HO-scale "Barongould Tannery" by FSM might fit your era and layout better. There is one for sale on E-bay too.

Take care,
Rob.
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3537 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  11:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I have/did have several PDF files on the WAG (Wellsville, Addison & Galeton) car manifests. They are copied from real ones I found in one of the stations when the WAG closed down. I believe I have them stored on one of my many disk drives. If/when I find them I'll be more than happy to send you the files.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3537 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since Ryan has down loaded the files they will be removed. Anybody else is interested let me know.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 01/06/2020 9:17:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  4:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got 'em, Bernd! Thanks so much. Fascinating stuff moving on that little line! Lots to digest.
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3537 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Got 'em, Bernd! Thanks so much. Fascinating stuff moving on that little line! Lots to digest.

You're welcome. Glad you can find some use. I've deleted the links.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youíre a good man Bernd!! Thank you!

Rob! Youíve been busy on your blog. Great stuff. Especially like the minimalist approach post. Iím a believer in that approach.

Iíve looked at the FSM tannery in the past and it just doesnít speak to me. Appreciate the suggestion. I think a tannery would end up being scratch built to do a good job of representing the size of the industry while fitting the space.

Iím going to draw up a tannery layout just because Iím interested to see how it could work. But right now Iím looking closely at your expanded ĎIotaí and fooling around with variations on the C&NW narrow gauge Werley from a few pages back. Most promising Werley design right now is as a terminus - track and industries as the prototype, but with one end dead-ended. Traverser on the other end. Turntable for turning rod engines... no turntable if running small geared locomotives.

Fun stuff.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick sketches. Lots of work to do, but a start. Both would use a 3-track traverser on the right end for staging.

Robís extended ĎIotaí with a couple of wood industries shoehorned in and a bunch of questions. This is a neat track plan. Not sure this is workable as I have it drawn... but seeing it on paper makes me think deeply. This might be too much track in 72Ēx18Ē for me with these size industries. Would probably work better with a couple smaller (physically) industries. I still like it though. Just think I need something different if I want two larger wood industries on the same layout.

A VERY simple rural terminus based on Werley, Wisconsin. Maybe this isnít prototypical trackage for a terminus, (Werley was a station, not the end of the line...) but it has the feel that it could be anywhere in the U.S. in the late 1890ís through the first 20 years of the 20th century. Iím having fun imagining how a small train would work this town. Thereís a car at the team track from yesterday? Challenge. Need to spot the coach or combine at the depot, then switch the town? Challenge. Two stock cars, a box car for the team track, a pulpwood rack to be loaded and a coach? Oh, and the milk needs to go. Today. Yeah. Challenge. Turntable to turn rod engines. (Delete for geared locomotives...) Simple engine service. Swap the creamery and stock pens for pretty much any small, early, rural railroad customers. Ag co-op and feed mill. Supply company and coal dealer. Window sash factory and building supplies.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000