New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  08:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I model the Wilmington & Northern Branch of the Philadephia and Reading RR in 1900-1905. I have employee timetables from 1928 to Conrail and it was never called the "Warwick"Branch in any of those timetables, it was always called the French Creek Branch. It ran from French Creek Jct (Elverson, PA) to St Peters, PA.

Here is a scan of the timetable page from the Nov. 1928 Wilmington & Columbia Division Time Table of the Reading Co., page 80:

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Edited by - dave1905 on 12/30/2019 09:05:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  08:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google books has the annual reports of the Wilmington & Northern Railroad from the 1880's up to 1895 available. Extensive information on traffic, engines, improvements, etc. The W&N operated the D&L around St. Peters for a few years back in the early 1890's while the D&L was in receivership. The D&L was abandoned before 1895. In 1895 the W&N was leased by the P&R and was finally purchased in 1900. The W&N equipment was merged into the P&R, however as late as 1928 it was still being carried in the timetable as the "Wilmington & Northern Railroad" as opposed to just a branch.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why I love this forum. So much incredible information.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  11:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we're closing in on a few options. Rob Chant graciously sent me some articles and I've had a look around his layout design website. Thanks so much, Rob!

I'm going to work up 4 scenarios to see how they work out in 72"x18" with staging. Continued input appreciated!

Terminus - Mountain Region
Combination Depot - 3 cars - Passenger, Milk, LCL - 15"
Team Track - 4 cars - 20"
Pulp Wood - 2 cars - 10"
Medium Industry (small planning mill, clothespin factory, novelty mill, cider press, woolen mill) - 4-6 cars - 30" - or multiple tracks w/designated car spots
"Main Line" + run around + one industry spur (3 switches)

Terminus - Valley
Combination Depot - 3 cars - Passenger, LCL - 15"
Team Track - 3 cars - 15"
Stock Pens - 3 cars - 15"
Small Industry #1 (Creamery, Coal Dealer, Produce, Lumber/Building) - 2 cars - 10"
Small Industry #2 (Feed Mill, Small Factory/Mill, Co-Op) - 3 cars - 15"
"Main Line" + run around + 1 or 2 spurs (3-4 switches)

Single Industry Terminus
Combination Depot - 3 cars - Passenger, LCL - 15"
Team Track - 2 cars - 10"
Large Industry (Clothespin Mill, Cider Mill, Novelty Mill, Textiles) - 8-10 cars, multiple tracks, possible industry switch engine
"Main Line" + run around + Industry tracks

True One-Industry
One great big industry - Sawmill, Large Creamery, Tannery, Lime Kiln, Wood Chemical, Planning Mill, Kindling Mill, Furniture factory, Match Factory, Nail Factory - 10+ cars, multiple tracks with designated car spots, switch with road locomotive or industry-owned switch engine. "Town" is off-layout. The more varied the types of required cars, the more interesting switching.
Industrial Switching set in early 1900s
"Main Line" + runaround + Industry tracks

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Werley is a fabulous scene! Would make a great diorama to model or to add to a layout.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  1:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ain't it great? Doesn't quite fit in 72"x18" without a little compression and off-layout staging, but it's fabulous and would be so great on a larger layout. Ya got passenger traffic and LCL freight at the depot, livestock, milk to and from the creamery, pulpwood, and a team track. And TWO nifty little bridges!! All in a little more than 600' frog-to-frog and with simply a run-around and three!! small structures.

Car traffic:
Combine and coaches
Box cars
Stock cars
Milk car
Gons or flats for pulpwood
Plus whatever else comes and goes...

Looks to be a 6-8 car consist in the one photo.

Werley could be done as a slightly compressed scene to fit in 6'. Zero compression at 8'. Make it a terminus if you don't have room to stage on both ends. Feed from a removable cassette on the right or my preference... a 3 track traverser. Staging both ends would definitely be preferable...

How interesting it would stay as a stand alone switching layout, I'm not sure. But it's pretty darn neat.

R
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong with compression. I use it on everything that's not on the tracks. Werley reminds me of Arroyo Grande on the South Pacific Coast, stream and all. Except Arroyo Grande also had a lumber distributor.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  3:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

The terminus plans require you to build a depot, but you could use it on your permanent layout if it follows the appropriate prototype.

BTW I noticed recently that a kit for Lopez depot was for sale on EBay. A map of the Bowmanís Creek Branch includes lengths of all spurs and sidings and they are too long for your purposes. Nevertheless the track arrangements at Lopez and other places on the branch would make good scenes; the reason Iím doing Alderson. A photo of the Alderson depot area shows a little 0-6-0 switcher on the Lewis Mill spur.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I donít mind compression most of the time, but for me on these small layouts I like to try to keep the open and airy feeling that so many of these little stations had. I like the Ďlazyí sorta switching that comes with the space that the prototypes had. I have a collection of early prototype locations that can be modeled in a reasonable space with zero to very little compression. Just an interest of mine.

Mike, Iíll have to take a look at the Bowmanís Creek branch. I like that area of Pennsylvania a lot. Lopez was such a cool place... and the track arrangements were really neat. If I hadnít gotten so stuck on Loganton and Sonestown, Lopez would be a top contender. Having so many model kits of the buildings there would make it very achievable. In addition to the depot, the Jennings Bros. store and one of the mills (I think the broom handle mill) are available from Micros-Scale.

I like the idea of building a depot Iíll use on Loganton or Sonestown, but Iíll probably build one up from a kit. There are so many I admire that I wouldnít have an opportunity to build otherwise.

The ice industry would make a neat scene on a large layout or a stand-alone small layout. I probably wonít do it this time around, but thought Iíd share some of the images I found since theyíre from the area Mike is planning on modeling.

Go to Top of Page

bror hultgren
Section Hand

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  4:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the modules of Kumar Desai: http://thedepotonline.com
His modules are 6' X 18".
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  8:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorites, and Iíve been studying those modules intensely to see how I could adapt the scene to my preferred time and place. Incredible modeling that!
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  1:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Bob, I donít mind compression most of the time, but for me on these small layouts I like to try to keep the open and airy feeling....

Oh, I'm with you there. I compress my building to keep the air open. My rural and my wilderness scenes both need more open air than I really have available so I have to trick the eye.

Love the ice house pictures too.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I started looking at options for what I considered the most unlikely direction for me to go with this: The Large One-Industry layout. Just one industry from the turn of the century to switch. There are a few industries that I find interesting from the time period and a few kits that Iíve admired but thought unlikely to ever build since Iím mostly interested in early prototype modeling. It should be apparent by now that I really enjoy the research and thought exercises...

So what I discovered was pretty interesting, and I thought Iíd share. I started by looking at craftsman kits that I like to get a footprint of the modeled structures. Then I looked at the car traffic the industry would generate based on the best info I have combined with the modeled size of the industry. So...

Iíve always like the looks of B.T.S.ís logging stuff, and thought a mill works would be interesting.

B.T.S. #28225 'McCabe Planing Shed'

HO 9.66"x12.41" as designed w/o chip bin or kiln or storage racks - re-arrange as needed

Individual building sizes
* Transfer Shed 2.62"x5.52"
* Planing Shed 4.14"x6.90"
* Addition 4.83"x8.00"
* Boiler House
* Tank
* Sawdust Shed 3.17"x3.86"
* Kiln 4.55"x6.90"
* Lumber stacks or storage racks

Car Traffic - Incoming
* Rough sawn lumber - Flat, Gon, Box (4) weekly
* Sundries - Box (1) weekly
* Equipment - Box, Gons, Flats as needed
* Narrow or Standard Gauge

Outgoing
* Finished Millwork - Box (2-3) weekly
* Chips - Gons, Hoppers, Box - (1) weekly
* Narrow or Standard Gauge

Interesting (to me...) what limited traffic a small mill would generate. This would probably be similar for other wood products Ďnovelty millsí. These buildings are really impressive and would be so much fun to build. It would be a super impressive scene... But would the railroading keep interest for long? Maybe I missed some important traffic for this industry. Hmmm....

Good looking though, ainít it?

Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually... the B.T.S. model might be compact enough to call it a Ďmediumí industry and incorporate it into one of the other layout scenarios with another similar-sized industry, depot, team track, etc... Hmmm...

I guess it could be any sort of finishing mill too. Millwork, sashes, boxes, staves, furniture components...

Edited by - RyanAK on 01/03/2020 11:57:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  12:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Flats and gondolas can also be used for lumber from a sawmill.

Iíve liked the looks of the BTS building.

Have you seen the Eastern Loggers modular model railroad?

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/03/2020 12:29:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000