New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6516 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  3:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, you have a happy little foundation.

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  3:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

So, you have a happy little foundation.

Not yet, but it's ready for "happy accidents" when I color the rock.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5670 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  5:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

At 20-1, craft paint pigments might not cover the wood grain in the basswood. That would probably work better if the wood was sealed first (sanding sealer or shellac?)

dave

It works fine. Check out one of his videos.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  2:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After painting all the windows, I just discovered I installed the top pane of the one window casting -wrong-, in all 40 of them! Fortunately, Tichy's "Cyber Monday" sale runs through today, so I ordered replacements!

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mock-up of the scene. Winchendon is a full 2 story building, but I have only the 1st story assembled.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6516 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  6:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another nice scene.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm looking forward to seeing the entire scene develop. you're off to a great start.
btw....i personally liked the walls after the first coat. it looks like a well used building that's been in need of a coat of fresh paint for decades....
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  7:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's progress: Got the recessed entryway done, and the doors and some windows. The replacements for the windows I screwed up are on order, and should arrive this week sometime.

I also added a couple of rows of brick foundation underneath the ell ("grinding room"). That uses some Paper Creek brick paper I had in the scrap box. I sure miss that product line!

dave

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7319 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  7:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking better and better, Dave! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  2:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a little experiment with magnets. I bought the 2 smallest size magnets I could find. One is about 3/8" square, the other is about 1/16" diameter. I epoxied the square magnet to one piece of wood, and the round magnet to another. After the epoxy dried, I put the two together, and then tried to separate them. The concern has been that the force required to separate the magnets would overwhelm the gluing power of the epoxy, but that was not the case.

An added benefit is that the thickness of the two magnets together is about 1/8", which is the size of the bracing on the kit walls. That means I won't have to mess with spacers to get the magnets lined up.

I still have some more design work to do, but this is very encouraging!

dave

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could use magnet/steel if you wanted less separation force. Without invoking Electricity & Magnetism, I'd guess about half.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  8:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit more on the magnet test. Here's the set-up.

The primary purpose of this test was to see how much/little force would be required to separate the little round magnet from the big square one.

A side benefit is the width of the two magnets together is just about 1/8", the size of the bracing on the Bisgeier model. That way I don't have to mess with spacers.

That's 1/8" square on the left side.

The lesson learned from this was that I'll have to pay much more attention to polarity. Apparently the square magnets are not oriented with the + or - side on the face. Or else the round magnets don't have that orientation. What I expected was that either they would stick together, or bounce apart. What I got was there were positions on the face of the square where the round would stick, and other positions where it would repel.

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8509 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2019 :  1:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thin plywood door trim pieces proved to be way too fragile. (Also, the promised instructions on assembling the door trim seem to be missing.)

So a trip to my parts collection was in order, and I found these SS Ltd parts. They're thicker than the original pieces, but they're the right height and overall (Greek Revival) shape.

I had to trim a bit off the top. Then I needed to construct the trim across the top of the doorway (from Evergreen strips.) From top to bottom: 2x12, 2x10, 4x8, 2x10.

They've been primed and I'll paint them to match the rest of the building later today or tomorrow.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 12/13/2019 1:34:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2019 :  5:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's gonns look great!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6516 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2019 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The door architecture adds some class to the building. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000